Chronic Unknown Skin Condition - Desperate

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have made the hardest decision we have ever had to make and we will spend the next couple of days with lots of hugs and cuddles and he will have all the yummy treats he has been missing until the weekend.

How does anyone ever get over this?

I'm really sorry to hear your news, I hope that your sadness will soon be replaced by the wonderful

memories you have of your friend.

Don't think of him as going away, his journey has just begun,

life holds many facets the earth is only one.

Just think of him as resting from the sorrows and the tears

in a place of warmth and comfort where there are no days or years.

Think how he must be wishing that we could know today

how nothing but our sadness can really pass away.

And think of him as living in the hearts of those he touched.

For nothing loved is ever lost and he was loved so much.

Hugs Lee

I only have his antibiotics and his prednisone (which I think helps quite a lot) that he has twice a day. I know gets much worse when he doesn't have it. Would there be anything else I could give him?

Somebody had organic rump steak for dinner... and will definitely be sleeping on our bed even if he stretches out in the middle leaving us hanging onto the sides...

I am dreading work tomorrow. Hoping they will send me home.

Edited by pixandpug

Pixandpug I'm heart broken for you. What awefull news. I think you have made the right decision to free Oscar of his pain. I'll keep a corner of my bed free for him over the next couple of night too. :thumbsup:

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep

Then will you do what must be done,

For this--the last battle--can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me until the end.

And hold me firm and speak to me.

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who has to decide this thing to do.

We've been so close--we have--these years

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author unknown

:clap: to you and Oscar.

I reread the report from the dermatologist and reading between the lines I think there is not much left to do for Oscar. I am trying very hard not to feel angry at the 4 vets that have seen him in the last year or so because it won't change anything. Oscar's cancer is very advanced and if I am honest with myself - I would say he is suffering. The dermatologist hadn't even touched him when he said what it was which was followed by a comment along the lines of "I could of told you what it was when he was walking across the car park". The horrible thing is that I had said to my colleagues yesterday that I hoped the dermatologist could tell me what it was straight away. I had imagined lots of allergy tests, diet restrictions and all the other things that can happen when a dog has skin issues.

I know many dogs can go into remission and live for another year but the vet has written it would likely be a matter of months for Oscar.

So we have made the hardest decision we have ever had to make and we will spend the next couple of days with lots of hugs and cuddles and he will have all the yummy treats he has been missing until the weekend.

oh God I am so sorry.

You are doing what your heart tells you is best for your dear Oscar... I pray that your days together from now are filled with some really wonderful times. Oscar knows that he is surrounded with love .

After all the wonderful dogs that have graced my life i can say that no you never ever get over these things.. but you do pick yourself up and keep going... eventually the heartache become bearable and the memories you made as you journeyed lifes path together will come to the fore and warm your heart..

Hugs

helen

By knowing that you did everything you could to get to the bottom of his health issues and that, when the time comes, you'll give him a merciful release. Not every dog gets that kind of tender loving care.

You'll never forget him but slowly the painful memories will be replaced by those that make you smile in remembrance.

Edited by poodlefan

I reread the report from the dermatologist and reading between the lines I think there is not much left to do for Oscar. I am trying very hard not to feel angry at the 4 vets that have seen him in the last year or so because it won't change anything. Oscar's cancer is very advanced and if I am honest with myself - I would say he is suffering. The dermatologist hadn't even touched him when he said what it was which was followed by a comment along the lines of "I could of told you what it was when he was walking across the car park". The horrible thing is that I had said to my colleagues yesterday that I hoped the dermatologist could tell me what it was straight away. I had imagined lots of allergy tests, diet restrictions and all the other things that can happen when a dog has skin issues.

I know many dogs can go into remission and live for another year but the vet has written it would likely be a matter of months for Oscar.

I had to make a very hard decision last week. It wasn't cancer but I still had to decide between quality of life and letting a girl of mine go on. It sucks but if you have or do decide to let him go, make the most of the last days.

There is one thing I can say and that is, there is a sense of relief when it's all over. The pain and suffering has been taken away and you come to realise just how much stress and worry you;ve been through during the illness.

I feel for you and Oscar.

o lord this thread needs a tissue alert now.

I am so sorry this has happened but am so glad for the little one that you have decided that quality of life is more important.

I honour you for choosing to end his pain and for dedicating yourself to treat him as a king for his last few days.

Many many :shrug::rofl::grouphug::cheer: to you and to him.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I am not going to respond at the moment because it is too hard for me. I keep breaking down. When I got home from work, Oscar was waiting for me at the door and I had a moment of hope. He ate his chicken (his favourite) and then we sat together on the couch. I looked at him and saw that he is again worse today. So much worse than yesterday.

The dermatologist rang me just now and confirmed that I have made the right choice. He doesn't think treatment will work for Oscar. I am very grateful to Dr Burton and will write him a note when I can manage it.

I will work from home for the next two days and sit with him. He likes that.

I still find it hard to believe it has come to this. He has been my best friend and at my side for 9 years.

This is a picture of Oscar before this horrible disease came to take him away.

post-38366-1304505024_thumb.jpg