Black Dog Syndrome

Leelaa17

Recently we had 2 blue greyhounds adopted - both had enquiries about them within the first 24 hours of being put on our website as available. No so the black dogs who often wait months for a home.

I was recently talking to a greyhound breeder & mentioned how popular the blue greyhounds were for adoption. She said it's just the opposite with racing as everyone wants to buy black pups because the think they'll be faster. Very few want blue greyhounds because they are believed to be slower. I'm at a loss to understand how colour can determine a good race dog. Surely it's breeding that matters?

:rofl: for all the black greyhounds being breed that will never find a pet home.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of it before and have heard of some rescue groups who will take lighter colour dogs over blacks any day.

Also I know that for movies producers prefer dogs that have lighter coloured faces as their detail stands out better when filmed. When you look at the amount of dogs in movies and advertising there are way more lighter coloured dogs which may subconciously influence peoples preferance??? :)

Recently we had 2 blue greyhounds adopted - both had enquiries about them within the first 24 hours of being put on our website as available. No so the black dogs who often wait months for a home.

I was recently talking to a greyhound breeder & mentioned how popular the blue greyhounds were for adoption. She said it's just the opposite with racing as everyone wants to buy black pups because the think they'll be faster. Very few want blue greyhounds because they are believed to be slower. I'm at a loss to understand how colour can determine a good race dog. Surely it's breeding that matters?

:) for all the black greyhounds being breed that will never find a pet home.

I was told the same thing by a trainer.

But.. I can see where it starts to become a self-fulfilling prophecy-

The more black dogs that run in a race, the more likely it is that a black dog will win. Fewer blue dogs means statistically, fewer blue dogs win. And with so many black dogs now, a black dog is always bound to do well, proving their superstition correct :)

There has actually been some "cough" research on this in the UK

looky here!

;) for all the black greyhounds being breed that will never find a pet home.

I was told the same thing by a trainer.

But.. I can see where it starts to become a self-fulfilling prophecy-

The more black dogs that run in a race, the more likely it is that a black dog will win. Fewer blue dogs means statistically, fewer blue dogs win. And with so many black dogs now, a black dog is always bound to do well, proving their superstition correct :thumbsup:

When my dad was training and racing greyhounds, he used to speak with great reverence of a dog named Black Top.

http://www.agra.com.au/nbtributeblacktop.htm#btop

He could be one reason why black greyhounds are more sought after than other colours.

My Belgian Shepherd is 99% black and she looks wolfish .. people who don't know her are sometimes scared of her.

I've had people in the streets cross the road so they don't walk past her. If they came to say hello, they'd find out how sweet she really is!

Tee hee, mine's yellow and people still avoid us! :thumbsup: Mind you, she does have a black face. Her lovely white teeth show up very well against her black mask.

ETA, my granddad would never bet on a grey racehorse, he reckoned they always lost. I think it's the opposite situation to the black greyhounds. A grey racehorse stands out since it's so rare, but tends to lose (just by the fact that most horses do!)

Edited by Staranais

After having had a white dog and now having one black/brindle dog and one chocolate brown dog I will always prefer dark over light.

Reason? For some strange reason white hair seems to show up on everything yet dark hair seems to blend in. I used to have to vacuum every day with the white dog but with these other two I can get away with every couple of days. I know they still shed but it doesn't seem to show as much as white fur.

that I can definitely vouch for!!

Agree totally. I wear a lot of black & navy. The white hairs of my bc show up & you can't see the black ones.

I prefer predominately black dogs all the time. They don't get as dirty in our dusty/muddy back yard. Apart from once having a silver persian cat all my pets have been black or black mixed colours. I would not get a white dog or cat especially with no eye liner or pink noses, much more likely to get sun cancer.

In dol adds for border collie litters a lot of the breeders say they will not export to Asia. Maybe this is one of the reasons, black/white dogs with white feet. Not that I saw the CM show on this subject but I have heard over the years that black dogs are harder to place.

the darker the better for me ;)

my fav's are black and dark tan.

i think they are the cutest as there is such contrast and there eyes stand out. no good for night time, as they are hard to locate lol

again so funny i walk my two and everyone crosses the street i walk the golden everyone stops.

i think the size shape of there head if it is sharp of soft.

people also associate colour eg

black, dark, cold, scary,

white, bright, happy, warm

worst things about black stands out on light clothes and on tiles.

who looks scarier ??

2q0qbmc.jpg

If the kelpie was smiling like the goldie it wouldn't look so scarey. :thumbsup:

Interesting. Guess Border Collies aren't popular in Taiwan. On a different note - what is interesting, is that one of the Shelties doing very well here at present is a tri-colour - important from Japan (Japanese Champion). Apparently tri-colours are popular there? (Even with white feet). Could this be, though, because blue merles (another popular colour there) can only be mated with tris?

Interesting. Guess Border Collies aren't popular in Taiwan. On a different note - what is interesting, is that one of the Shelties doing very well here at present is a tri-colour - important from Japan (Japanese Champion). Apparently tri-colours are popular there? (Even with white feet). Could this be, though, because blue merles (another popular colour there) can only be mated with tris?

From what I've heard Border Collies are popular in Japan. There are some Aussie borders that are Aus/Japanese champions.

RB lovely old dog, & I agree, just got to look at my sigpic!

I was watching Dog Whisperer last night and he was saying something about black dogs being the last to be adopted in shelters compared to other coloured dogs, or the first to be put down or something like that.

he was also saying in Thailand (or Tawian - not sure) that black dogs are actually seen as bad luck and black dogs with white paws were even worse because they symbolise death.

I just want to know what peoples opinions on this were... I think it is quite bizarre? I mean I respect people who have beliefs/superstitions - I used to be superstitious about full moons!!! (not anymore though).

I just don't know why people have what Cesar called 'Black Dog Syndrome'???

:laugh: :p :laugh::) I have four black dogs and three of them are Rescues.....And I feel lucky to have the pleasure of being owned by them......... :D

Awww i love black dogs, and have one at present

But i will say when out walking people give her a wide berth and i have had many ask if she's nasty.

Nika18thApril2011.jpg

Nika18thApril2011b.jpg

I dont really find the blacks much harder to photograph than any other colour...

Edited by Alasse

Your dog is gorgeous, and I think just looks friendly. However I have owned black dogs (prefer black dogs) and I guess you can see more expression in the faces, than people who haven't. We have the most beautiful portrait of our old CCR. He is smiling in it. With the right light black dogs photograph beautifully. We currently own a black poodle and are hoping to get another black CCR soon.

Surprised that I can't find any Labrador responses in this thread.

For the non-Labrador crowd . . . black was the "original" colour for Labbies. Yellow followed. Chocolate is rising, or now equal second with yellow, depending on where you are. But whether you're talking stud dog preferences, prices, ease of puppy placement, or whatever, black has been in decline for 50 years or more. This is pronounced in the show ring . . . if you go back 50 years, BIS was usually a black. Now it's occasionally a black, usually a yellow, occasionally a choco . . . with significant geographical differences.

In my book BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL. To me, blacks are still the 'original, bone fide Labradors. I live off the land and dirt is part of my life. No light wall-to-wall carpet in my lifestyle. Black works. And blacks scare people, great. In my book, the ideal guard dog is a great woos that scares people but will never attack.

Perhaps 'black' needs some PR. I could see starting a 'black dog rescue' organisation, with some trendy adverts and good online presence, catering to the group that likes black T-shirts and dark clothing.

Edited by sandgrubber

I was watching Dog Whisperer last night and he was saying something about black dogs being the last to be adopted in shelters compared to other coloured dogs, or the first to be put down or something like that.

he was also saying in Thailand (or Tawian - not sure) that black dogs are actually seen as bad luck and black dogs with white paws were even worse because they symbolise death.

I just want to know what peoples opinions on this were... I think it is quite bizarre? I mean I respect people who have beliefs/superstitions - I used to be superstitious about full moons!!! (not anymore though).

I just don't know why people have what Cesar called 'Black Dog Syndrome'???

:cheer::mad :D :) I have four black dogs and three of them are Rescues.....And I feel lucky to have the pleasure of being owned by them......... :heart:

We don't really get a lot of choice with Newfies though, do we!!

I LOVE black dogs (and cats), they are my personal favorite colour.

I would have one in a heart beat, but I have a GR for temperament, not for colour- not that black dogs have bad temps- just that goldies are what I was after! :)

If GRs came in black, I'd have one. :laugh:

Alasse - your dog is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

I found Diesel at the pound.......He is very black and only a little bit of white. He is strong hardy loyal and amazing dog and he is the cutest smoochie ever.....

I agree with the 'hard to photo'....I can't get many of those gorgeous sleeping photos because he looks like a black lump .....I guess a better camera would help :cheer: ....but outdoors action shots are fantastic :cheer:

I also think that large breeds get a bit of a harder time anyway and being black gives them the 'diablo' namesake.

Just makes me super sad that people are like that over a colour of a dog..... :)

post-22827-1304306375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Diesel's Mate

Alasse - your dog is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! :cheer:

I found Diesel at the pound.......He is very black and only a little bit of white. He is strong hardy loyal and amazing dog and he is the cutest smoochie ever.....

I agree with the 'hard to photo'....I can't get many of those gorgeous sleeping photos because he looks like a black lump .....I guess a better camera would help :) ....but outdoors action shots are fantastic :cheer:

I also think that large breeds get a bit of a harder time anyway and being black gives them the 'diablo' namesake.

Just makes me super sad that people are like that over a colour of a dog..... :)

Its not the colour of his fur- its his glowing eyes!! :laugh: