List Of Councils With 2 Dog Rules

Whippetsmum

Following the post on Palmerstone council NT:

It ocurred to me that a lot of families get moved around Australia for work; ADF, Police, etc. Can we start a Dogzonline list of councils that have a 2 dog limit? It could be pinned, sort of an opposite version of the pinned "dog friendly accomodation " topic.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure that every council in Vic has a 2 dog limit, without a permit.

Same for every Tasmanian council area that I know of.

Two pet dogs over the age of six months or four working dogs over the age of six months.

Two pet dogs over the age of six months or four working dogs over the age of six months.

Central Highlands Council don't have a limit at the moment, but I believe it will be coming in over the next few months. From what I understand, the 2 dog limit is state legislation in Tasmania, which is why Central Highlands are being forced to bring it in, even though they would prefer not to have the limit (according to comments made by the Mayor and councillors at a community meeting last September which we attended).

When we lived in the Rural City of Wangaratta council area in Victoria, we had 5 dogs with no permit required and no limit that we were aware of - but we were zoned rural and on acerage.

Central Highlands Council don't have a limit at the moment, but I believe it will be coming in over the next few months. From what I understand, the 2 dog limit is state legislation in Tasmania, which is why Central Highlands are being forced to bring it in, even though they would prefer not to have the limit (according to comments made by the Mayor and councillors at a community meeting last September which we attended).

When we lived in the Rural City of Wangaratta council area in Victoria, we had 5 dogs with no permit required and no limit that we were aware of - but we were zoned rural and on acerage.

We actually had someone wanting to surrender a greyhound to us because they had three dogs and had recieved a warning from the council. Understandable if it was somewhere reasonably built-up (like Launceston or surrounding suburbs) but this was Northern Midlands council area- a few small towns and the rest is very much rural :D

I live on acreage out of Ballarat way currently we have four dogs registered here without a permit without any trouble but in town I am sure it is a 2 dog limit three with a permit.

Edited to add. We are under the City Of Ballarat as a council.

Edited by PRADA68

We actually had someone wanting to surrender a greyhound to us because they had three dogs and had recieved a warning from the council. Understandable if it was somewhere reasonably built-up (like Launceston or surrounding suburbs) but this was Northern Midlands council area- a few small towns and the rest is very much rural :D

I was only talking about Central Highlands Council as not (yet) having the two dog limit, not Northern Midlands :D As I said, I believe it's state legislation in Tasmania to have a 2 dog limit, and I think the only one who isn't yet enforcing this is Central Highlands - but they will be soon.

My other comment, about being on rural acerage, was in reference to Victoria :rofl:

pretty sure every Adelaide metropolitan council has a 2 dog limit, and most towns do as well. 1 dog in an attached dwelling/unit, 2 dogs in a detached dwelling. Out of town in the country areas it's different everywhere. It's 5 where i am under ordinary circumstances (we have a kennel permit)

Edited by DBT

Here is what my local council website says:

Council recommends that the number of animals kept at a suburban property be limited to the following:

•2 Dogs

•2 Cats

•15 Poultry - includes chickens, ducks, geese etc. Roosters are not recommended.

•100 Pigeon - racing birds, 40 stock birds

•50 Small birds - includes budgies, canaries, quails finches

•2 Large birds - includes cockatoo and corella

•1 Pet rat

•10 Mice or guinea pigs

•1 Sheep or goat. Billy goats are not recommended.

So from this I read it as you can have as many as you like until someone complains.

I was only talking about Central Highlands Council as not (yet) having the two dog limit, not Northern Midlands :D As I said, I believe it's state legislation in Tasmania to have a 2 dog limit, and I think the only one who isn't yet enforcing this is Central Highlands - but they will be soon.

My other comment, about being on rural acerage, was in reference to Victoria :rofl:

Erm, yeah, I got that.

My comment was pointing out that even in rural areas of Tasmania (where you wouldn't think a permit would be necessary) dog numbers are not only monitored but also enforced.

I just checked the 2 local councils near me:

Blacktown NSW"Generally residents may keep an unlimited amount of animals as pets, provided they do not cause a nuisance through containment, noise or hygiene issues.

If complaints are submitted to Council and proven, then restrictions on the number and how they are kept may be imposed as Council sees fit."

Hills Council NSW has a 4 dog limit in houses but has stricter rules for Townhouse dwellers

I just checked the 2 local councils near me:

Blacktown NSW"Generally residents may keep an unlimited amount of animals as pets, provided they do not cause a nuisance through containment, noise or hygiene issues.

If complaints are submitted to Council and proven, then restrictions on the number and how they are kept may be imposed as Council sees fit."

Hills Council NSW has a 4 dog limit in houses but has stricter rules for Townhouse dwellers

Interesting topic. i had always assumed that in residential areas that there was a 2 dog limit. But obviously it is not the same in all areas, i will have to check with my local council....it doesn't say anything on their web page about numbers!! :rofl:

While most councils (outside of NSW?) have a 2 dog limit, some allow for permits for extras. But keep in mind that there are some councils that are STRICTLY 2 dogs only - no permit will be issued for more than 2, no exceptions. City of Gosnells in WA is one (unless you reside in the Kennel Zone). Boo to them! :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar