Registered Breeding Dog In Council Pound - Help Required

ishka81

Hi There,

I'm wondering if I can get a fast reply about this, a friend of mine has 2 female staffy's both microchipped, the older one registered. The older girl is registered as a breeding girl and the younger one (just a puppy) was due for registration next week. She lives in Central coast NSW.

Today she had an incident where she left to pick her kids up, her dogs were in her yard safely when she left, and within 2 hours of leaving she had a call from her local council advising that they had been found 3 kms from her home and they could not find the microchip on the older dog and she will be being spayed either tonight or tomorrow morning as well as the baby.

She is absolutely devestated, as she has proof about this, and no way of getting to the pound to pick them up and she is also upset because she can clearly feel the microchip on her adult dog. Because they called her just before 5 they told her she could not have her dogs until tomorrow once they had been spayed and would not allow her to come in to show her proof.

Does anyone have any adivce?

Edited by ishka81

If it were me I'd be doing anything I could to get there and get them first thing in the morning. I was of the understanding that until the claiming/quarantine period was up that they were not allowed to do anything to stray animals unless it is a life saving measure. Maybe I'm wrong?

And I would probably be inclined to ask the council ranger who my lawyer is to name as the person I would be sue-ing for performing an unauthorised medical procedure on my animal that is not due to a life-threatening injury/illness. (Probably even better if you can get someone from the legal fraternity to do this)

Whether that would hold any weight I don't know, but I don't know what else I would do!!!

I know I agree with you all about it all sounding dodgy, she's never had an issue with anyone getting out before but has had some issues with one neighbour recently and is thinking they may have let them out when she left. This was just the information that she got from the first call at 4.50pm and then she couldn't get back in touch with them as they had all left. I think it's highly doubtful they'd be spayed tonight as you all have said. She was very upset and I'm hoping she misheard them or has misunderstood something and can get it sorted out when she gets there.

I've told her about the three day period and passed on the advice, thank you so much for all replying!

She's headed down there with her husband first thing in the morning to try to sort it all out, he works strange shifts and was uncontactable when it happened and had their car, but they'll hopefully get some answers in the morning! Thank you so much for the kind offer though!

Do her dogs get out a lot? This doesn't sound right???

My neighbors undexed male dog gets out every week...he gets taken to the pound so regularly that he has his own shelter Id disc.

It would be great if the council de-sexed dogs before returning them

(except people who are legit registered breeders) this would help to solve two major problems...

1) backyard breeding more cross breeds & unwanted dogs

2) people would be more diligent in insuring their dogs didn't escape.

My neighbors undexed male dog gets out every week...he gets taken to the pound so regularly that he has his own shelter Id disc.

(except people who are legit registered breeders) this would help to solve two major problems...

On the central coast you are talking about either Charmhaven or Gosford Pounds. It isnt likely that either of these pounds would desex the dogs inside the mandatory holding periods without the owners permission, which is at least 7 days even without them finding the chip.

Charmhaven have a VOLUNTARY desexing program for owners reclaiming their strays.

1. Tell her to phone a solicitor - she can work the system and at least get a stay on the procedure. My guess is with a lawyer involved, they'll back off quickly enough.

2. Time to be padlocking gates and nvestigating building secure runs.

Really, define registered breeder?

And what about the notion that pounds are there to also return lost dogs back to their owners?

Actually be effected by this ideology spurned policy and then see how practical it is in effect.

Edited by lilli