My Long List Of Wanted Breeds

ellazpupz

we have Lappies (ofcourse!) and they will always be our breed. ;) Once you've been owned by one, the biggest problem is not to get another! LOL

However, I do want to add to Swedish Lappies to our Finnish, and (eventually) Lapponian Herders. These are FCI recognised, just not here yet.

The dream is to one day have ALL the Lapp breeds ;) - then I'll probably be known as the crazy Lappie woman LOL

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our list used to be longer, but a lot of breeds have fallen off for various reasons. Now it is Standard Poodle (own one love her, see myself owning at least one more in my life. Curly coated retriever, will be our next dog, and English Mastiff. Love them think they are the most majestic animal, but not sure if we will ever own one.

I go threw fads of research, often ending with a 'no way I could own one of those'

If I had to pick a breed available in this country only it would be a Finnish Lapphund

I luffs them. :love:

Close second is an Australian Shepherd.

If I could have any dog in the whole wide world and one day it will happen that dog would be an Icelandic Sheepdog.

:love:

I'm with you there for your first choices EtH - my next will be a Lappie - although I dearly love the Blue Merle Aussie Shepherds. And a rescue grey is right up there for us too :)

I have incredibly contrasting dogs ATM - a kelpie and a bloodhound - lovely dogs but I want a fluffy, snuggly dog next (yes I know greys aren't fluffy but i just have such a soft spot for them) - and one I can take time with because the kids will be older - and I am confident that a reputable breeder will be able to choose the perfect pup for us when the time comes :)

then I'll probably be known as the crazy Lappie woman LOL

*cough* Aren't you already? ;)

Darn - and here I am thinking I was doing such a good job at pretending to be 'normal' LOL Better watch out WA - you could end up the same!! LOL

I blame my dogs for my present lappie obsession - they are rather addictive. For some reason, I now have 4! LOL ;)

There's quite a few people who like Lappies who also like Aussies. Tobster and I can say they get along too, my little Aussie baby is absolutely utterly in love with her Ella. :laugh:

we have Lappies (ofcourse!) and they will always be our breed. ;) Once you've been owned by one, the biggest problem is not to get another! LOL

However, I do want to add to Swedish Lappies to our Finnish, and (eventually) Lapponian Herders. These are FCI recognised, just not here yet.

The dream is to one day have ALL the Lapp breeds ;) - then I'll probably be known as the crazy Lappie woman LOL

I love the Swedish Lappiemum, but I don't think I would be a suitable home. I keep telling Tobster she needs one. :provoke:

I'm working my way through the spitz family.

Have had a Pomeranian.

Currently have a German Spit and Japanese Spitz :heart:

Waiting for my Lappie puppy who is 3 weeks old at the moment.

In years to come I'm planning on a Keeshond & Samoyed... but people like the crazy Lappie woman keep telling me lappies are addictive so don't know if I'll ever get there :laugh:

Whippet (one suitable for dog sports though

You need a Lewis then :D HIs sister is the same

I reckon so! Pity I didn't manage to meet them or you when I was over there :(

It's a bugger though, that in a breed with so much untapped potential that there are no sport titled Whippets (didn't count ET titles) in the profiles even though the breed is extremely capable!

Edited by tollersowned

My question is, has this happened to you?

And if so what is your next breed of dog on your list?

Which member converted you to their breed?

I was swayed to an Australian Shepherd, and I have leopuppy04 and her first litter to blame for it :provoke:

But my heart will always belong to a Labrador, so it is very likely I will stick with the one breed unless I can one day get a kennel property and expand my breeds :) And if that happens, I have a few breeds on my list that have made it's way there since joining DOL laugh.gif But the only ones I actually foresee me owning are Labs and Aussies. An English Setter is one I would like to own in many years to come.

Edited by RubyStar

Whippet (one suitable for dog sports though

You need a Lewis then :D HIs sister is the same

I reckon so! Pity I didn't manage to meet them or you when I was over there :(

It's a bugger though, that in a breed with so much untapped potential that there are no sport titled Whippets (didn't count ET titles) in the profiles even though the breed is extremely capable!

We are working on that!!

The lady that has Lewis's sister has one of the most titled Whippet in Oz I would thing, so her girl should get some. We hope to but as distance is our tyranny it won't be as many as I would like.

Yes it is a bugger, would loved to have met you and your guys as well.

Edited by OSoSwift

I love SBTs and currently own 2, and I plan to get a dobermann in the very near future.

Other breeds I find irresistible are:

- French Bulldogs

- Bull mastiffs

- Lappies

- Whippets

- Aussie Shepherds

The more time you spend with dogs the shorter the list should get. Some of those lists are incredible because the breeds are all so different to live with. You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

Over the years I have looked carefully at a few different breeds, then discarded each one as a possibility and still have my original three breeds on my list. There may still be a Poodle one day, but I am not fussed on having to worry about clipping and scissoring. Love the breed, just not the grooming. So my next dog will either be yet another Border Collie or eventually a Japanese Spitz which has been my smaller, easier breed of choice for many years.

There are many other breeds that I love to admire but have absolutely no desire to own one.

I have Border Collies as of course you know but I also have the Wicked Whippet. Two TOTALLY different breeds and BOTH mesh well with us. I couldn't imagine living without either breed.

Why on earth would that be hard to believe? I adore my hairy dogs but I also adore the sleek lines of my Whippet. I love both breeds equally.

Better add breeds I covet:

Pomeranians (thanks to a very generous person I co-own two of these little gems)

English Pointer

Afghan

Standard Poodle

West Highland White Terrier

Akita

American Cocker

How's that for variation LOL

The Whippet doesn't count as another breed because they fit in with whatever other breed they live with. I bet yours thinks it is a Border (a spoilt bed warming one) and I know another that thinks he is a Japanese Spitz. :rofl: I think most people could live with a Whippet no matter what other breeds they have, because Whippets seem so adaptable.

Would you really want to live with the other breeds though ? Ok maybe the Poms, because they are so cute and so small they hardly count when adding up dog numbers and of course Standard Poodles are smart like Borders, but an Afghan or an Akita ? I think it is great to handle other breeds and get to know them but living with them is another thing altogether.

My list of wanted breeds used to be huge when I first came to DOL. Now it only has one breed on it--the Swedish Vallhund :heart: They have stolen my heart and cannot be replaced by any other breed! Maybe a Swedish Elkhound, if anyone decides to import. :)

Guest Panzer Attack!

I've wanted a Pap for ages and finally have one, and I think I made the right decision.

I'd love a Greyhound (my heart melts whenever I see one), a Bedlington Terrier (this breed has been #1 on the list since I was 19), Cardigan Corgi, Bichon or a Mini or Standard Poodle.

My next dog will probably be a rescue. No more puppies for a while! LOL.

On the 'one day' list are:

Aussie Shep

Swedish Vallhund

Shiba Inu

Basenji

But those last 2 breeds aren't for the faint hearted, so I may have my work cut out for me there!

I've been strategically 'working up to' a Basenji. :laugh: I got my biddable spitz first, and then my outrageously smart and active spitz, which was almost a Shiba. Next step is a more independent spitz, or maybe I'll just jump in finally and get a Basenji. ;) Mind you, one of the things I was worried about with a Basenji was keeping one adequately mentally stimulated. Erik has been good practise for that! Apparently he needs daily training or he starts poking around the house finding contraband to hijack and destroy.

Other breeds I'd consider are Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Pharaoh Hound, Saluki, Norwegian Elkhound.

Breeds I want someone to import so I can have one: Canaan Dog, Karelian Bear Dog, Jindo (ha!), Yakutian Laika, Japanese style Akita, Cirneco Dell'Etna.

Breeds I want someone to import so I can have one: Canaan Dog, Karelian Bear Dog, Jindo (ha!), Yakutian Laika, Japanese style Akita, Cirneco Dell'Etna.

Rumour has it these will be here soon. You will find sighthounds quite different to spitzs!

Edited by poodlefan

Oooooo.

I want a naughty sighthound. :p Someone who gave me loads of info on Basenjis years ago when I was first looking into the breed had Cirnecos on her list. And someone else I knew with Pharaohs also had them on his list. There was some discussion about whether Cirnecos were TOO naughty. Hello! A breed too naughty for someone who competes in agility with Basenjis? Corvus' ears pricked. ;)