What Makes A Good Handler?

Katie P

And I have to add to Lowenhart's point of listening to the judge and steward, tell them it's your first time. They will be a little more gentle. ;)

You would think so wouldnt you?

My first time in the ring, i did that, said it was my first time in the ring.

The judge was very rude, however the steward was lovely.

In fact, if i had been a differently minded person, that would have been my first and my last show.

Watching people handle and being able to handle different dogs helps alot. But one of the glaring mistakes I find that even people who have been showing forever, is they dont do straight lines LOL. On an out and back or triangle, a judge wants to see the dog move in a straight line to judge the movement coming and going, they are not interested in YOUR movement. Please take your time to set your dog up (shorten your lead slightly if needed for more control) and move off nice and steady. Out and backs should not be done flat out.

Practice makes perfect, but most of all, dont get too stressed about it all, have fun. It can take years to learn the finer arts of showing dogs to their best. And dont expect each of your dogs to be the same, every one of mine that I have shown has been different.

The first time my dog was in the ring when he was a baby puppy we got a friend to handle him, he was naughty but nothing shocking and the 70+ year old Judge threatened to throw him out of the ring!

To me your attitude to handling is as important as your experience.

Everyone starts as a novice. If you go in with the attitude that you'll do the best for your dog that you know how, and that you'll continue to learn and improve, you'll do fine.

Yes, it IS nerve wracking at first but the more you practice, the less the nerves get in the way IMO.

Lessons from a decent teacher are invaluable for providing short cuts to learning how to to a good job for the dog you are showing.

I've heard a lot of folk who have experience in other dog pursuits say "it doesn't look that hard". Done well by a polished handler, it looks effortless - its the work that goes into training both dog and handler outside the ring that's where the effort is.

There's a standing joke around here that a good fall will put you in with the winners.. seems to hold true so far :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Don't put too much pressure on yourself, it's one of those things that comes with time. I did a pretty awful job of handling my first dog. I am doing a much better job with my second one LOL :) Watching others handle your breed is a great way to learn lots of little tips and tricks - you want to show your dog in a way that minimises faults and emphasises qualities :) Your breeder/mentor will be a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this.

And I have to add to Lowenhart's point of listening to the judge and steward, tell them it's your first time. They will be a little more gentle. ;)

Then seeing how many times you can get away with it ;)

Manners is a good one, always good to thank the Judge even if you dont win, although some judges arent used to it :laugh:

Learn watch and practice, watch what other handlers are doing if you like what they are doing practice or ask for help...

If you do win, make sure you walk up and shake the judges hand too, don't get stressed and leave them hanging there in the middle of the ring with their arm outstretched... oops.

If you do win, make sure you walk up and shake the judges hand too, don't get stressed and leave them hanging there in the middle of the ring with their arm outstretched... oops.

I wouldn't do this unless the judge has made it part of there routine from the first breed.

Not all judges shake hands & many will place a class & turn around to judge the next class so shaking isn't always doable.I have always found the judges will make it obvious they wish to shake than the forced shake by an exhibitor

For a beginner the most important thing I have found is to watch the classes being judged before you (if your not first breed on) to find out how the judge is judging. You can mentally prepare yourself for where you are going to stack up in the ring, if you are going to do a lap before stacking or if the judge wants you to go in and stack straight up. Groom your dog the best you can, handle with half a clue and present your dog and yourself with confidence. Confidence goes a long way, even if you dont feel confident, look confident. Dont fidget, dress nice and learn as you go. Good luck.

For a beginner the most important thing I have found is to watch the classes being judged before you (if your not first breed on) to find out how the judge is judging. You can mentally prepare yourself for where you are going to stack up in the ring, if you are going to do a lap before stacking or if the judge wants you to go in and stack straight up. Groom your dog the best you can, handle with half a clue and present your dog and yourself with confidence. Confidence goes a long way, even if you dont feel confident, look confident. Dont fidget, dress nice and learn as you go. Good luck.

And if like me you are often first dog in - the curse of having a young Afghan :laugh: - don't be afraid to ask the steward or judge what they would like you to do.

Remember to breath, it took me several shows to realise that I wasn't breathing for the entire triangle, LOL.

:rofl: Me too! I never thought I was nervous, but it wasn't until I realised I wasn't breathing that I realised I was. :laugh:

I wouldn't do this unless the judge has made it part of there routine from the first breed.

Not all judges shake hands & many will place a class & turn around to judge the next class so shaking isn't always doable.I have always found the judges will make it obvious they wish to shake than the forced shake by an exhibitor

Oh yep, if they aren't a hand shaker then don't do it, but I meant I got caught out one day when the judge was standing there holding out his hand to shake mine and I just walked straight out the ring.

It was my first time showing this particular dog and I was just so relieved it was over with I wasn't paying attention! :o