Sasha's Blend Or Similar

helen

Bella will be 12 this year. Although she gets around fine I was thinking it would be good to give her Sasha's Blend or something similar.

I chose this brand because it has such a good reputation. Do others use this or similar, and where is the cheapest place to get it?

Geez I just wrote out a big reply and my finger slipped and pressed the escape button and deleted my whole reply, arghhhh!!

Sashas blend has a kind of fishy smell and the say it has a fishy taste, I wasn't going to taste it :laugh: but our old dog in his later years was on Sashas blend and I think it was great for him we noticed a big difference with him on it. He was 16 when he went to the bridge and he had Athritis (sp) and the vet recommended the Sashas and I am not sure if Joint gaurd was around then. Cooper had a sore hip a while ago (he is only 5) and the vet recommended joint gaurd for him, he is extra fussy with things like that and the joint gaurd has no taste.

Guest Clover

The Vets all natural is another one to check out, it contains more of the active ingredients and works out a fair bit cheaper than Sasha's Blend. A lot of dogs wont touch Sasha's Blend as well, so if you go with that try and get a sample before buying.

We use the pernaease,same active ingredients as Sasha's Blend but half the price. If travelling we use the jointguard chews for convenience. The pernaease seems to have made a big difference to our girl but I would say it took a good six weeks to see the benefits.

Good to hear of the results on Pernease powder. I have just started giving my nearly 11 yr old rotti fish oil and glucosamine tablets. I tried Sasha's blend years ago but like others didnt see a result. I have been keeping my boy walking like a puppy with regular visits from my mobile animal chiropractor but would like to start trying a supplement again for added help - will give it a go, thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased Pernease powder for my nearly 14yr old greyhound a couple of weeks ago and I also put my 7 yr old greyhound on it as he was showing signs of arthritis setting in. After about 1 week I have taken both of them off it again as I couldn't stand the stink of the wind they both had. The nearly 14yr old has many problems like demeture and horrible panting attacks which I have now put down to panic attacks and for 1 yr now she just drops her poop anywhere in the house and seems to have no control over it. Our greyhound vet thinks this is to do with the dementure. My point is for nearly 1 yr her poop has been huge and frequent but nice and easy to pick up, nicely firm formed mounds which leaves no mess and easy to clean up fortunately for me. Since she has been on the Pernease powder it is disgusting cow patty type mess which is really hard to pick up. The 7yr old has had the same wind and cow pats so I just wondered if anyone else has discovered this with Pernease powder?

My boy has been on Pernaease Powder for about a week now. The powder itself stinks, but I haven't noticed any stinkiness coming from the dog. And his poops are normal too.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Glyde for my 11 year dysplastic & osteoarthritic westie and he seems to get around comfortably. He's been on it for about 18 months. It's probably the priciest product on the market over Sasha's Blend & Joint Guard but well worth it.

A friend of mine recently managed to get a liquid osteoarthritis product from Canada to try out. It's called Pet Tek Re-Gen Max and contains Hyaluronic Acid which is someting no other product here in Oz has. I use it in conjuction with Glyde - halve the daily portions - and I swear there seems to be a little bit of extra bounce in Winston's step. It will be interesting to see how much more improvement there will be.

I purchased Pernease powder for my nearly 14yr old greyhound a couple of weeks ago and I also put my 7 yr old greyhound on it as he was showing signs of arthritis setting in. After about 1 week I have taken both of them off it again as I couldn't stand the stink of the wind they both had. The nearly 14yr old has many problems like demeture and horrible panting attacks which I have now put down to panic attacks and for 1 yr now she just drops her poop anywhere in the house and seems to have no control over it. Our greyhound vet thinks this is to do with the dementure. My point is for nearly 1 yr her poop has been huge and frequent but nice and easy to pick up, nicely firm formed mounds which leaves no mess and easy to clean up fortunately for me. Since she has been on the Pernease powder it is disgusting cow patty type mess which is really hard to pick up. The 7yr old has had the same wind and cow pats so I just wondered if anyone else has discovered this with Pernease powder?

Hi Jensgreys,

These type of supplements can be known to cause gastro upsets.

Good article here about using them in animals:

http://www.animaloptions.com.au/index.php?page=the-use-of-glucosamine-products-for-small-animal-joints

I've used Sasha's Blend, Joint Guard and the above mentioned in article Small Animal Joint Support Formula 2, I think the last one is performing the best...but not the cheapest. One of my chis got a stomach upset after using - he has a sensitive stomach. Vet said to take him off it for awhile,give probiotics and start on lower dose.

Another friend was told by a vet to use Natures Own (human) Fish Oil and Glucosamine supplement. Anyone tried this? From the above article, it appears the human stuff can be at different concentrations.

Edited by keiko

• 1 month later...

For Miss Lillie who is in the hight teens I have used Sasha blend I also use the Fish Barf Patties and touch wood, not a hint of arthritis.

For some dogs Sasha blend (or similar) can have a magical result for others zilch effect. Only trying can help, pity they do not sell sample pack for a few weeks as it is so expensive.

Also prior to this one of my oldies did start to suffer so I went on Robert McDowell's site and got a arthritis blend which seemed to work wonders.

If I remember the bottle cost $50 but as only 3 drops were used at a time it lasted a long time.

The Cataract mix I have been using for over 2 years so it can be very cheap.

Good luck with your quest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I use Cosequin DS for my dog...it's expensive but I get a good result with it. I have asked my vet about joint guard and Sasha's Blend and he told me he did considerable research into it and in his opinion he ranks them like this.....Best product is Cosequin DS...second best is Sasha's Blend and last is Joint Guard though he says there is not too much of a difference between the last two. He tells me it's the absorbtion rate that is important and what makes the difference between each product. Something for you to consider anyway.