Thank You

westiemum

Boy there are some really special people on this board... they are generous in their replies, the time they spend crafting them on occasions and generous with their time and often their money. I never take for granted what a special community this is.

I won't name her but there's someone really special on this board - she sent me her latest pm today - who has been the most incredible support with Mac and his canine dementia over the last few weeks.

She knows who she is. She went to the trouble of getting some information for me and then passed it on, sent me some dried herbs for Mac, then a week or so later sent me some live plants so I can have a constant supply for him... and wouldn't even take the postage. She's also sent further links of information as she finds them...

I'm blown away by such kindness.

And incredibly, Mac hasn't had an aimless growling or barking episode since he started on his morning 'herbal cup of tea' almost a fortnight a go. And he sees brighter. :)

Coincidence? Maybe - but I prefer to think a kind DOLer who we've never met except online, has made a real difference to an old confused westie on the other side of the country.

Bless you. :)

Thanks for your replies guys - I just wanted her to know how much I appreciate her help and kindness.

With so little around that seems to really help dogs with canine dementia, its really worth trying some 'out of left field' remedies - and this seems to be working.

I am so glad to hear that the herbs are helping your boy. This proves that admid the materialism, selfishness and plain stupidity, that there are incredibly good and generous people in this world. All hats of to that DOL member.

Glad to hear the herbs worked for Mac! I wish everyone knew about them, I was on the verge of letting one of my oldies go as he was keeping me up half the night but obtained Chinese herbs and he was brilliant within a couple of days. He was with me another 8 months or so before succumbing to illness.

I to have been on the recieving end of such kindness from a Doler. I was sent some stuff to help with my old boys arthtitis. And I have other people help me out with information and training DVD's. There are some very wonderful people on here.

I thank every single one of you :D

Glad to hear the herbs worked for Mac! I wish everyone knew about them, I was on the verge of letting one of my oldies go as he was keeping me up half the night but obtained Chinese herbs and he was brilliant within a couple of days. He was with me another 8 months or so before succumbing to illness.

I'm so glad that westiemum's senior lad responded so well to the herbs. I agree with dogmad, that this is something we could well know about.

I can understand how westie feels when she got help that made such a difference. When my tib girl had a puzzling gastro problem, the help & tips I got were brilliant. And dogmad gave me one of the best tips of all. I now half support the sweet potato industry in Australia. :) And have a doggie whose problem has gone.

Yes, DOLers are tops.

Edited by mita

And just reporting in... its two weeks today since Mac started on his morning 'herbal tea' and I've had a week off this week prior to starting a new job next week so much more time to observe him - and not one aimless barking or growling incident. He's simply behaving like a 'normal' hearing impaired old man... amazing :thumbsup::)

Edited by westiemum

DOL has some truly amazing members :)

OT - westimum, are you able to tell me what has helped Mac?

Our very old JRTx is really struggling with dementia. He also has arthritis and other issues for which the medication seems to be helping. He was on Hills BD for the dementia which seemed to be very effective but he went right off it. I tried mixing all sorts of tasty things in with it but he just wouldn't touch it. I've asked the vet if there is any supplement I can add to his food or another food which would be beneficial but they weren't able to help. We are going nuts with his all night adventures - barking at nothing, walking into walls, walking in circles etc. As well as being a PITA, it is also really sad to see him like that.

TTJ thanks for the post and I'm really sorry to hear you are having such dementia trouble with your JRTx. There are two things I suggest - pm deerhoundowner, do her questionaire, and then talk with her privately about the results - she is a gem who is a wealth of information on canine dementia.

Secondly, I wasn't being deliberately mysterious about Mac's herbs - simply a little nervous about recommending something which I can't be completely sure is the source of his improvement. But... the truth is he is much better since starting on his 'herbal tea' in the mornings and I'm highly suspicious that it is the herbs that are doing it (One thing I am is a good observer of my dogs and changes in their behaviour - comes from years of Speech Pathology practice where I had to observe small detailed behaviour changes).

Mac is on 1/2 a teaspoon of dried 'Herb Robert' per day, a geranium plant derivative which I understand has very potent antioxidant and blood oxengenation properties. The Romani people (previously called 'gypsies') have apparently used it successfully for eons. There is also annecdotal evidence that it can be an effective cancer treatment. So I make up Mac's 'tea' in his bowl by steeping 1/2 a teaspoon of the dried herb in water overnight, before going to bed and then add his breakfast (Hills b/d) to it in the morning. And the truth is he does seem much better over the last fortnight. So it might be worth trying with your little man.

Dogmad also mentioned that she had used Chinese herbs with good success with a dog of hers with dementia.

The truth is I was a bit sceptical about the use of herbs but given there is soooo little available to help these dementia dogs I decided it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. And I don't think I'm imaginging it but I do think its helping quite a lot. And I'm sooo grateful to the kind DOLer who set me on this path. Mac's definitely brighter. The longer he goes on without episodes of aimless barking and growling the more confident I will become that its the herb robert which is helping. So far so good. But without definitive trials its hard to generalise the ad hoc results I seem to be seeing with Mac.

So in the absence of anything else helpful, as long as you recognise the effects might be different in different dogs, then you could certainly give it a try.

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on.

Hope that helps. Best of luck. :)

DOL has some truly amazing members :)

OT - westimum, are you able to tell me what has helped Mac?

Our very old JRTx is really struggling with dementia. He also has arthritis and other issues for which the medication seems to be helping. He was on Hills BD for the dementia which seemed to be very effective but he went right off it. I tried mixing all sorts of tasty things in with it but he just wouldn't touch it. I've asked the vet if there is any supplement I can add to his food or another food which would be beneficial but they weren't able to help. We are going nuts with his all night adventures - barking at nothing, walking into walls, walking in circles etc. As well as being a PITA, it is also really sad to see him like that.

Edited by westiemum

Hi Westiemum,

I sent you a PM yesterday but not sure if you got it??? I also sent Mita one too but now thinking something may be wrong with my messaging???

Anyway, thankyou for posting about the herb. My pm was to ask you about it if possible because I am trying everything I can to help one of my little dogs too.

The DOLer who helped you was very kind & you are very kind also.

Thanks again.

Edited by esky

what an incredible person to help you with such love.

No matter the debates and arguements everyone gets to on here I think this is such a great community (you wonder why I am on here religiously every day!!!) and everyone really actually CARES, which is hard to come by!

I have a 16yo dog that has dementia and he constantly barks at nothing. He is such a beautiful dog but is definitely showing his age. I also might inquire into this herb. Thank you for this thread!

Thanks for your post Leelaa17 - yes depite our arguments and different points of view people are always very kind and generous on this board when others need help of any kind - this really is the best community - full of wonderful people.

Yes look given there is so little around for these dementing dogs and I gather its easily available and cheap compared with other options, I think its worth a try. And it also seems to be relatively side effect free according to the net.

So good luck and please will you post and let us know how you get on?

what an incredible person to help you with such love.

No matter the debates and arguements everyone gets to on here I think this is such a great community (you wonder why I am on here religiously every day!!!) and everyone really actually CARES, which is hard to come by!

I have a 16yo dog that has dementia and he constantly barks at nothing. He is such a beautiful dog but is definitely showing his age. I also might inquire into this herb. Thank you for this thread!