I Couldn't Believe What I Heard

kezzzza

A young lady came into the shop today to buy somethings for her now only dog as she told me he had just lost his mate. When I asked what had happened I was blown away. She told me that one of her neighbour's chooks flew into their back yard and was killed by one of her dogs.

Someone called the Ranger about it and the dog was taken away and they were told that either the dog was to be put down or the would have to pay nearly $400 for it to be rehomed. They had over 15 letters from different people including the chook owners that the dog should be left alone and not taken away but the Ranger was not going to budge.

They paid the $400 to rehome the dog which now lives in NSW somewhere

OMG, no way that can be right!

If they were taking the dog because it had killed the chickens and had been declared dangerous, they wouldn't be rehoming it.

I don't see how they can even get in trouble for it killing the chooks when it was in their own yard?

A young lady came into the shop today to buy somethings for her now only dog as she told me he had just lost his mate. When I asked what had happened I was blown away. She told me that one of her neighbour's chooks flew into their back yard and was killed by one of her dogs.

Someone called the Ranger about it and the dog was taken away and they were told that either the dog was to be put down or the would have to pay nearly $400 for it to be rehomed. They had over 15 letters from different people including the chook owners that the dog should be left alone and not taken away but the Ranger was not going to budge.

They paid the $400 to rehome the dog which now lives in NSW somewhere

OMG :eek: that is a shocking story based more on making money than anything else. Emotional blackmail is what springs to mind, a dsigrace!

The two of us at the shop couldn't believe it when we were told. The dog she had in the shop was a malt shih cross so I asked her what breed the other was and she said a Staffie. Which should mean nothing but in this area I have heard of another two Staff's that were pts for killing chooks even after the chook owner voiced that he didn't want that. But the attitude of the local rangers is well it's a staff therefore the next victim could be a person.

If the chook owners didn't want the dog destroyed then how did the Ranger become involved in the first place?

eta just re-read 'someone' rang the ranger, another neighbour who heard the commotion I suppose.

Edited by HollyMilo

That doesn't sound quite right now does it. :)

If that was you or me wouldn't you have rung the local newspaper or radio station or TV.

I bet if we had done that the ranger would have ran for his life.

The dog was in it's own yard under control.

That's so ridiculous! When I was a kid, I had a pet chicken and it ran over to the neighbour's backyard one day. Their little maltese mauled her and when I came home from school, she was dead. The council never found out about it so that was that... Maybe the lady and her neighbour should say the maltese-shih tzu did it.

...Daaaamn! If I knew I could do something like that, I would have called the ranger on that rotten Rottweiler that jumped our fence and killed off half our flock :mad

But I agree with the posts here, it sounds a bit suss.

The sussest part to me is the rehoming part confused.gif If a dog is dangerous and gets seized, wouldn't it just be PTS and not rehomed. Not that I believe this dog should be declared dangerous, just saying that any dog seized for such reasons, wouldn't be rehomed! I wouldn't be believing this lady and her facts being 100% correct :o

If this is true then half my dogs would have to be rehomed. I had suicidal bantams once who one by one used to fly into the dog runs and not come out alive! I think there is more to the story then meets the eye. There is no way a ranger would come onto my property to take a dog that had killed a neighbours chooks without me taking it further.

I really don't see how they could do that i'm just shocked to hear that they can. The chook was in the dogs yard so really to them it was fair game. Sounds to me the ranger is making up his/her own rules.

Personally I think there's more to the story than anyone was told. I've never yet heard the owner of a "problem" dog paint an accurate picture to total strangers.

The two of us at the shop couldn't believe it when we were told. The dog she had in the shop was a malt shih cross so I asked her what breed the other was and she said a Staffie. Which should mean nothing but in this area I have heard of another two Staff's that were pts for killing chooks even after the chook owner voiced that he didn't want that. But the attitude of the local rangers is well it's a staff therefore the next victim could be a person.

What area/state do you live in, kezzza? Need to know because my next door neighbour keeps chooks and I'm always afraid one will fly over the fence for my terriers to chase and probably kill!

I call her bluff.

yip. I'd ask for the name of the ranger so that I could report him to the police. Sometimes people get rid of their dogs and make up little stories to make them the victim...

The Ranger around here has been known for opening gates to get his quota, I was told this by my neighbours when I first bought my home, my gate is padlocked inside and out. But as no one can prove it with photo's or video he keeps his job

The sussest part to me is the rehoming part confused.gif If a dog is dangerous and gets seized, wouldn't it just be PTS and not rehomed. Not that I believe this dog should be declared dangerous, just saying that any dog seized for such reasons, wouldn't be rehomed! I wouldn't be believing this lady and her facts being 100% correct :o

Exactly.

The story doesn't add up.