Dog In Pain!

Sunnyflower, I too have been where you are, we made the decision with only one day left to be with my Scrubby Dog. And as I sit here, I am bawling my eyes out, for you and with you. You know in your heart.

If it should be that I grow weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.

Don't let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day, more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.

What is to come can hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer so;

The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,

And please stay with me till the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see

The kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you

Who had this painful thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years;

Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunnyflower I just wanted to say how brave you are to make the hardest decision we have to make for our pets. My thoughts are with you, your OH and Oscar.

Treasure the time you have left, as I'm sure you are.

Thank you guys - There isn't enough words to describe how thankful I am for the support.

I am really struggling today, I desperately want to back out and do not want to lose my shadow! I don't remember the last time I had a shower or went to the toilet on my own, even when I think I am going to get to go by myself because he is asleep you see the door get pushed open and in he comes! Just these tiny little thoughts are breaking my walls down.

How excited he gets when he sees me put my tights and runners on... How the hell does he know that means walk time!?! Food - It is the only thing that makes him happy now so guess what Oscar has been getting lots of..... FOOD!!

The weirdest thing is I counted the amount of mince circles we have left in case I needed to buy more for him or biscuits and there is only enough left of both till Friday night... :confused: .. My Fiancee called out to me last night saying that we hadn't picked up any cat mince and then silence. I KNEW straight away he had counted Oscar's mince bags to see if we could use one for Cino. So I walked around the corner only to say "It's strange isn't it"..... "I got no words from him only for him to pull a face which said it all".

I am breaking into a million pieces and trying to keep it together but I am thankful that my midwife appointment fell on this Friday which means I have the day off with him. I honestly believe he knows what's going on, that may just be me losing my mind but I truly do feel like he knows!

Oh SF, I've just read through the thread and am so so sorry to hear about the hard decision you've had to make :(

I can't even imagine how you are feeling, but just thinking about what you're going through breaks my heart. I know exactly what you mean about the little face peeking through the bathroom door, even when you thought they were sound asleep and tried to sneak off quietly!

I've seen that look where they're in pain and they look at you like why, what have I done wrong?? It's just heartbreaking I know, they can't understand it and when you've tried the treatments and they haven't worked the kindest thing really is to let them go. Such a hard decision but you have made the right one :hug:

I'll be thinking of you this week and especially Saturday xxx

My 8-year old Cav, Sophie, had the same thing years ago and the kindest thing was to let her go. My heart goes out to you.

You are doing the hardest thing, but know in your heart that you are doing the right thing. A vet once told me after I had to say goodbye to one of my dogs "People never say to me, 'I should have kept him/her going longer', but they often say "I let him/her suffer for too long'". Our pets are lucky in that we can give them the gift of going quickly, peacefully and with dignity - some of us will have to suffer for a long time in pain and without dignity when our time is near.

My thoughts are with you.

Thinking of you. I imagine that being pregnant would add another dimension to this too. The added hormonal goings on and the thought of bringing a life into the world while having to say goodbye to another. What a heart wrenching time for you.

• 2 weeks later...