Dog In Pain!

Our 10 year old border collie was an outside dog. He had a beautiful personality. 2 months ago he started to get snappy with our two silky puppies. We thought it was just him being a male. I noticed he had stopped eating and we thought it was his teeth. So we took him to the vets and the vet agreed with his teeth as he had chipped one and they needed cleaning. He also suggested we have him desexed and shaved. So we did. After his op we let him live inside. The first few nights we noticed drops of blood and we thought it was just his stitches. So we took him to the vet on the Thursday. She had a look and we found the blood was coming from his bottom. She put him on medication and told us it was a hemroids. She said if he didn't stop bleeding by Monday to bring him back. By Monday he was still bleeding and looking miserable, so I took him back to the vet. We had a new English vet. She suggested we do blood test. It came back his red blood cells were dropping. So they tested him for clotting. By the following Thursday he was starting to drool thick drool and he could hardly move. His clotting came back fine. She suggested that we do an ultrasound, but said they may not be able to pick up anything and that it was highly likely it was cancer. Our boy was going down hill fast, and I couldn't stand to see him suffer. That night we decided we'd put him to sleep the next day. I spent his last day with him, and by the afternoon he was drooling blood. He was so sick, yet he had his paw around me and kept trying to cheer me up. He didn't want to disappoint me.

We could have kept him alive for longer. But I don't think its right to make your best friend suffer. We only keep them alive and treat them to make ourselves feel better, its not in their interest and it just hurts them to see you hurt. I miss him so much :( , but I know I did the right thing. It was time to say goodbye. I would rather remember my dog as healthy and loving, than have to see him suffer and struggle.

:( Wadz I am so so sorry to hear this!!! Your poor poor boy. What a horrible way to go down hill so fast and so suddenly! You made the right decision and as much as I would never want Oscar to suffer like that it would almost make it easier to see it's the kindest thing to do then to have to weigh it up.

You must miss your boy so much, 10 years with him only for you to have to give him his wings.. Big BIG hugs to you..

You are right - I am only treating him to keep him alive for me. I am telling myself it's for him too but I often forget he is a dog not a human.

Thanks Sunnyflower. Its still pretty fresh, but it all comes down to the quality of life. I'm just thankful I got to say goodbye to him.

At least you know you've done everything you can for him when the time comes to say goodbye. My heart goes out to you and your boy.

Its one of the hardest choices to make.

We've tried and at least we can say we've tried. I just really feel with the amount of medication he is on and so frequent there should be nothing... Because anything means there is still pain!!

:(:( This is such a difficult thread, but I really felt I needed to share.Five years ago, we had to say goodbye to our 12 and a half year old Bully- he had arthritis, and it had started to have an effect on his overall mobility. To look at him, he looked fine(except his grey sunglasses lol) and was medicated. One morning, he didn't greet me at the door as usual, when we looked for him, he had been ferreting around in the garden, had lain down in a dip in the garden, and couldn't get back up :( When we stood him up( he then bounded off as though nothing had happened) the look he gave us said it all-you reall do know when it's time. We took him to the vet the next day....it utterly broke my heart, he spent his last night treated as an utter prince, but I just couldn't have lived with myself if something had happened when I wasn't at home.It was such a hard thing to do, but you will definitely know when the time is right. My heart goes out to you, and all others who have, and have been through this heartache.Many hugs.

:( Sorry Bullylova. Even 5 years on it's clear it still breaks you to bits.

So sorry about Oscar :( You will know when it's time :hug:

Thank you dogfan. x

This is hard for all that have been thru and all that will go thru.I lost my ridgy X on 29th Nov 2009.He had just turned 16 years old just weeks before.He had a stroke(there is another name for it) at 13 then pancreatitis at 14.At 15 his arthritis was so bad his back legs were starting to drag.I always said to my vet"I will never keep him alive for me".At 16 he was diagnosed with a cancer on the liver.That day he never came home.I had him since he was 6 weeks old and we had been thru thick and thin for half my adult life but I never bought him home that day because I promised my best friend I would not keep him alive for ME.The cancer was well advanced and he could not walk and my beautiful vet told me it was time.It makes no difference if it's 16 days or 16 years you will know.

Very hard decline for you stans mum. I cannot imagine watching Oscar or any dog go through all of that.. :(

Having a dog with a deteriorating disease/illness is one of the hardest things to deal with and it doesn't matter how old or young they are. I have faced this issue every single day this year with my almost 17 year old SBT. Sure she wants to be with us and seems to be happy enough but my greatest fear is her having some kind of accident or deterioration when no-one is home. I couldn't bare to think she needed someone and no-one was there. I couldn't bare to think she suffered something needlessly because she does not show pain easily. I have made the big decision for this saturday afternoon and my vet is staying open just for me. I have made the appointment once before and changed my mind and I can't honestly say I'll be able to look at her face and go through with it this saturday either but I think I have to as she is so bad on her back legs now she is just a serious accident waiting to happen. She was my first SBT rescue and has never been a touchy feely type and is certainly not my heart dog but still this is an incredibly painful thing to even think about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes, whether we like it or not, this has to be about what is best for our dogs and not what we are ready for or can cope with.

HUGE HUGS to you PS for Saturday. :( xxx

I'm finding this hard to come to terms with.

:hug:

I prefer the last days/weeks of my dog's life to be ones I remember happily ... so if it can be arranged, I let them go while they are still happy and enjoying life as much as is possible.

Thinking of you..

Thank you Pers... I really need to accept this and work with it not against it!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone. I truly appreciate everyones words!! I drove the whole way from work balling my eyes out and had a good chat with my fiancee. He wants me to be ready but firmly believes and follows everyone heres words but knows how attached I am to Osc and that I have spoken of the reality of this but never accepted it.

I came home to Oscar. He had a few episodes and was panting heavily for a little bit but at least tonight he was playful Osc! These good days everyone speaks of Oscar hasn't really had one like this since probably Feb. He wasn't too crash hot this morning but almost seemed like he knew what the talk was of today. I need to remember that this one good day doesn't justify the next 8 - 10 weeks of pain! I have a terrible habit of that because in no way am I ready to say good bye.

Thank you guys. I needed to know that my thinking wasn't horrible and if this all really doesn't work I shouldn't push on with something that clearly isn't working and he is only going to get worse and at what point do we give him his wings.

:( I'm sorry for making you cry idigadog. It's always so nice to offer help, thoughts and strength for others by always pulls up your own horrible memories and feelings! I honestly feel like I have been given that look from him but I often think I am crazy for thinking that's what he is say!?!

Thank you - It means the world to me to know I have everyone here and I am not on my own.

Oh hon, you didn't make me cry. I'm just getting soppier as I get older. I've always been a sook when it comes to my dogs and I can cry at the drop of a hat thinking about them.

We had a bad time losing two of them last year, one of the pups in my avatar, Drifter and Phoenix our old Mallie girl which was only 7 months ago. It hurts, it really does but please know that if/when you have to make the decision for Oscar, it will be one of the greatest gifts you can give him because it will show just how much you love him by ending his suffering. Trust in yourself that you are doing it for him and remember that he has been blessed to have your love, even if only for a short while.

Wish I could give both of you a hug :cry:

Edited by idigadog

Sunnyflower I can pretty much assure you that no-one here is thinking of you as horrible, completely the opposite in fact.

Personally If you came on here and said tomorrow that your decision was one to put him to sleep, I would think your decision was a valid one. There would be no-one that would think ill of you or think you had done the wrong thing, or rushed into anything.

It is a very hard road you are travelling. It is not something you will do to him, it is something you will do for him.

I prefer the last days/weeks of my dog's life to be ones I remember happily ... so if it can be arranged, I let them go while they are still happy and enjoying life as much as is possible.

Thinking of you..

Yes, this is what I was trying to say, it's how I feel about these sad times.

In my family we had an arrangement where no one had to do the deed for their own dog, or take full responsibility. Unfortunately, Mum has died, so that pact no longer works. But I took her much-beloved Molly in cause she couldn't do it . . . Molly was in too much pain . . . and she took my Sprocket in after a horrendous accident that, in an older dog, had a bad prognosis.

Might add, if you decide to ease your pup on its way, it may be worth finding a mobile vet who will do it at home. I've attended half a dozen pet euthanasias. They are surprisingly tranquil and in my experience, the act itself doesn't add to the guilt factor. But it may be easier in some place that doesn't smell sterile and isn't associated with trauma.

:( I'm sorry for making you cry idigadog. It's always so nice to offer help, thoughts and strength for others by always pulls up your own horrible memories and feelings! I honestly feel like I have been given that look from him but I often think I am crazy for thinking that's what he is say!?!

Thank you - It means the world to me to know I have everyone here and I am not on my own.

Oh hon, you didn't make me cry. I'm just getting soppier as I get older. I've always been a sook when it comes to my dogs and I can cry at the drop of a hat thinking about them.

We had a bad time losing two of them last year, one of the pups in my avatar, Drifter and Phoenix our old Mallie girl which was only 7 months ago. It hurts, it really does but please know that if/when you have to make the decision for Oscar, it will be one of the greatest gifts you can give him because it will show just how much you love him by ending his suffering. Trust in yourself that you are doing it for him and remember that he has been blessed to have your love, even if only for a short while.

Wish I could give both of you a hug :cry:

Thank you. They are really kind beautiful words! RIP & So sorry to hear about Drifter & Phoenix :(.

Sunnyflower I can pretty much assure you that no-one here is thinking of you as horrible, completely the opposite in fact.

Personally If you came on here and said tomorrow that your decision was one to put him to sleep, I would think your decision was a valid one. There would be no-one that would think ill of you or think you had done the wrong thing, or rushed into anything.

It is a very hard road you are travelling. It is not something you will do to him, it is something you will do for him.

OS I truly feel I know what I need to do, I just need to get my head around that I am doing a kind thing for him not a horrible thing. Who am I kidding, no dog enjoys having their humans fingers stuck down their throat 9 times a day!! This medication is masking a lot of the symptoms but the pain is still there. He was really good last night and had a few moments this morning but was a lot more up beat than what we have seen in months but he still has this disease and there is still pain.

Is time of the essence? I don't know, I guess it is because everyday he is in pain. Is it a constant pain? I don't know, before the medication it was constant symptoms and he his episodes we getting REALLY bad. Is there any point spending $200 a month on Medication that doesn't work even 50% probably not.

So this logic I can understand and if it was anyone elses dog I could probably say the logical thing, I just don't know how to detach myself even a little bit to make the kind decision. However as said - I do feel as though I know what I need to do :(.

Thinking of you..

Yes, this is what I was trying to say, it's how I feel about these sad times.

And it makes complete sense. Honestly - if I run by this, the time is now.

In my family we had an arrangement where no one had to do the deed for their own dog, or take full responsibility. Unfortunately, Mum has died, so that pact no longer works. But I took her much-beloved Molly in cause she couldn't do it . . . Molly was in too much pain . . . and she took my Sprocket in after a horrendous accident that, in an older dog, had a bad prognosis.

Might add, if you decide to ease your pup on its way, it may be worth finding a mobile vet who will do it at home. I've attended half a dozen pet euthanasias. They are surprisingly tranquil and in my experience, the act itself doesn't add to the guilt factor. But it may be easier in some place that doesn't smell sterile and isn't associated with trauma.

sandgrubber - It's wonderful that you and your family had this arrangement however no one in my family would do that for the pure fact of how attached Oscar and I are to each. I have seeked refuge in animals my entire life but no more than I have with Oscar. If we use the term heartdog, that is him for me! He really is my special little mate and my world will be a very different one without him. I need to be there with him! I don't know how I am going to do it but I have no option, I owe that to him.

If/When it happens as lovely as it would be to have it done at home I don't think my vet offers that service and I would only have my/Oscar's vet do it. They have been wonderful to me through the process of this and did extensive research and went out of their way to get in touch with Georgina Child after I had sent her an email asking for help. Oscar is their first patient to ever have this disease and I don't think I could rest easy knowing he was put to sleep in our home. Kinder sure but it would hurt me too much knowing. Thankfully our vet clinic is only a one room clinic and extremely small so very rarely is there any other animals or drama.

When the time comes, I hope I'll have the strength and opportunity to give Stevie a BBQ chicken including bones and seasoning, and a packet of mint slices, then let her go after she's enjoyed them, than keep her going until she doesn't want food any more.

Of course it won't be easy, it is very very sad, but it sounds like you already do know what is needed, to do the right thing by your little mate.

If you have any doubts, maybe call Georgina and discuss your questions/concerns about the remaining medication options? She's very easy to talk to, and honest, and helpful, and will know more about the condition than your vet.

ETA big hugs, it's a hard decision indeed

Edited by Katdogs

:cry::cry:

This is just soooo sad Cockerlover for everyone involved & your dearest Oscar. I feel for you but some how we just find the strength & look at what quality of life Oscar has & if you feel it is too much for him & when the pain

he is in out ways the pleasures in this little guys life. You will have your answer.

I knew when it was time for my 'special' boy to leave me & as hard as it was i had to let him go cause his quality of life had left him. I was carrying him around cause he couldn't walk, his back legs had gone, he was 14.5 years

old. He was in a lot of pain. That was no life for him. That was almost 3 years ago now & I still think I made the right call at the right time. He just looked up at me that particular morning, right into my eye's and it was

like "see you again mum" he closed his eye's & slipped into a coma, & never regained consciousness. Little did he know i had already rang the vet the previous day & arranged to have him put to sleep that morning. :(

Not a day goes by that I don't think about & I miss him terribly. He is running around though, now over rainbow bridge, pain free & having fun. And I will always believe that. Till we meet again Redman, my boy.

My thoughts are with you & your darling little Oscar. So sad, forever young. :cry:

Edited by BC Crazy

When the time comes, I hope I'll have the strength and opportunity to give Stevie a BBQ chicken including bones and seasoning, and a packet of mint slices, then let her go after she's enjoyed them, than keep her going until she doesn't want food any more.

Of course it won't be easy, it is very very sad, but it sounds like you already do know what is needed, to do the right thing by your little mate.

If you have any doubts, maybe call Georgina and discuss your questions/concerns about the remaining medication options? She's very easy to talk to, and honest, and helpful, and will know more about the condition than your vet.

ETA big hugs, it's a hard decision indeed

Katdog Oscar would LOVE a bbq chicken and some mint slices! He seriously thought he was going to get some of my easter egg last night the crazy monkey.

Regarding speaking with Georgina everything my vet does is at the guidance of Georgina. I contacted Sash 2 months ago in the hope to get in touch with Georgina and she emailed me extensive information and explained what I can do with him. She requested that my vet called her and they have been liasing the whole way through this. She is the one who prescribed the medications and the amounts and also the next possible course of treatment but they've never really had any results from that. Georgina advised my vets that if what they have him on now doesn't work than I need to consider putting him to rest. My vets are just the middle people relaying Georgina's work! However they are still vets and they aren't silly and they have both seen first hand the extent of Oscar's disease. The evening we went in to kick off the medication the entire time he was scratching, panting heavily and was completely unaware of what was going on around him.

Now that I am choosing to open my eyes and the strength from everyone here I realise the kindest thing I can do for him is lay him to rest. I just hope his little spirit comes back to me one day.

:cry::cry:

This is just soooo sad Cockerlover for everyone involved & your dearest Oscar. I feel for you but some how we just find the strength & look at what quality of life Oscar has & if you feel it is too much for him & when the pain

he is in out ways the pleasures in this little guys life. You will have your answer.

I knew when it was time for my 'special' boy to leave me & as hard as it was i had to let him go cause his quality of life had left him. I was carrying him around cause he couldn't walk, his back legs had gone, he was 14.5 years

old. He was in a lot of pain. That was no life for him. That was almost 3 years ago now & I still think I made the right call at the right time. He just looked up at me that particular morning, right into my eye's and it was

like "see you again mum" he closed his eye's & slipped into a coma, & never regained consciousness.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about & I miss him terribly. He is running around though, now over rainbow bridge, pain free & having fun. And I will always believe that.

My thoughts are with you your darling little Oscar. So sad, forever young. :cry:

Sorry to hear about your little one you lost BC. Thank you for your kind words. xx

I couldn't leave any of mine 'til they needed to be carried / force fed/ manually toileted or anything like that :o That is not 'living'. It is a personal preference - and perhaps I act too soon...

My old Mitchell was into his teens .

he was overweight,due to being on continual cortisone for allergies .

he was covered in lipomas .

he was still happy.. and enjoyed his food, and could walk a hundred metres in the sun .. and attempt to chase bunnies :)

Then he became incontinent ...and this distressed him . he would try to get to the door ..and not make it , whereupon he would get upset .

This was the signal ,to me.

He would poo his bed then... and he lost some strength in his back end ...

So we went for a final bunny hunt - and he was happily wagging his tail as he crossed the bridge. ...that is the memory I have of him ... in the sun, chasing bunnies - not incapacitated and in pain , not being carried , and having 'that; look in his eyes- that look where you know the dog is pre occupied with a pain/feeling of much greater importance than happenings in the outside world ...

Whenever the time is - and whoever chooses it - it is hard, but I honestly believe the apprehension, the planning, and the impending loss is worse than afterwards, when you realise that your pet is not suffering anymore, and that they knew a few moment's peace and love as they drifted away.

OSS - that is such a good way of putting things. Thank you.

Good thoughts and strength to everyone having to make these hard decisions.

I couldn't leave any of mine 'til they needed to be carried / force fed/ manually toileted or anything like that :o That is not 'living'. It is a personal preference - and perhaps I act too soon...

My old Mitchell was into his teens .

he was overweight,due to being on continual cortisone for allergies .

he was covered in lipomas .

he was still happy.. and enjoyed his food, and could walk a hundred metres in the sun .. and attempt to chase bunnies :)

Then he became incontinent ...and this distressed him . he would try to get to the door ..and not make it , whereupon he would get upset .

This was the signal ,to me.

He would poo his bed then... and he lost some strength in his back end ...

So we went for a final bunny hunt - and he was happily wagging his tail as he crossed the bridge. ...that is the memory I have of him ... in the sun, chasing bunnies - not incapacitated and in pain , not being carried , and having 'that; look in his eyes- that look where you know the dog is pre occupied with a pain/feeling of much greater importance than happenings in the outside world ...

Whenever the time is - and whoever chooses it - it is hard, but I honestly believe the apprehension, the planning, and the impending loss is worse than afterwards, when you realise that your pet is not suffering anymore, and that they knew a few moment's peace and love as they drifted away.

That's a gorgeous memory of Mitchell Pers. I will get the opportunity to chat with my vet on Monday and I think we will go from there. I will have to think of something calm and happy.

I think you will be/are right Pers. It is the planning and apprehension that is killing me. I just did it then - Smiling with the thought of doing something lovely and memorable to enjoy and then I clamp up and the smile turns into a frown. It's really not something I can do on my own, It's really something I need someone to hold my hand with. It makes me very anxious thinking about it and my head tells me "No, you can't do that".

OSS - that is such a good way of putting things. Thank you.

Good thoughts and strength to everyone having to make these hard decisions.

It is a wonderful way to put it. I will never accept what I have to do but I can hopefully come to terms with it. Hopefully!

..and just remember - there are lots of us here who have been there,done that ..and who can understand some of what you are feeling/thinking. This community can be the best of places when one needs support at these times :)

I 100% agree with this. The what ifs, thinkg about doing it etc put you under much more duresss. Afterwards yes youa re upset and yes it hurts, but it is nowhere near as distressing.

And yes many of us have unfortunately had to make the decision and each and every time it hurts like hell, but afterwards you know you have done the right thing and you know they are suffering no more.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through - I haven't had to face that decision yet. That said, it is my strong belief that I'd rather let my dog go a few days/weeks too early, than a few days/weeks too late - the thought of them suffering brings me to tears, and they aren't even ill.

As much as I'd miss them, I can give them the gift of a pain free death.

I'm so sorry you are faced with this decision. :cry:

I have made the hard decision a few times before and I believe the greatest gift I can give to any of my dogs is to have the strength to know when enough is enough and let them go while they still have their dignity and before the pain becomes unbearable for them and they loose their quality of life.

Again....I'm sorry :(

..and just remember - there are lots of us here who have been there,done that ..and who can understand some of what you are feeling/thinking. This community can be the best of places when one needs support at these times :)

Amen to that persephone! We know that people on here share our love for our dogs and feel our pain as well as sharing our happiness in the happy times.

Totally agree with this. I have had to put down 7 dogs and 2 cats over the years and my criteria with younger ones is if there is no hope of a normal life then it is time to let them go. With the oldies I usually get to point with illnesses were I decide that the next thing to go wrong with them will be the last, and stick to that decision.

Making the decision is by far the worst part of the whole process. We keep our dogs alive for us, not them. In nature they would already have passed away but with veterinary medicine we keep them going because it makes us feel better. Once the dog is no longer gaining any benefit from being here, it is time to let them go.

Once they are gone, it is sad because we miss them but we also have happy memories we wouldn't have had if they hadn't been a part of our lives. Having made the final tough decision to aid them on their way, leaves a feeling of relief and knowing you have done the right thing for them.