Sigh...pet Shops.

quesada

I very rarely go into pet shops, but today I did go into one. They had puppies in there...the usual assortment of cavoodles, moodles, etc...and also 4 purebred Wire Haired Fox Terrier pups and also 2 Beagle pups.

There was a sign up stating that some VERY RARE pups were coming in soon - Pug x French Bulldog....sigh! :(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our local pet shop is the same and they have inflated, insane prices on these dogs. At the vet hospital that i work we get all sorts of 'fancy, rare' breeds and i make a point of saying 'Öh a cavoodle a cav x poodle' and thats the way its entered into the computer. We recently had boxadors (boxer X labrador) and minature border collies (part shih tzu part border collies). I rehome unwanted ex racing greyhounds maybe i should sell them as giant whippets!!

Our local pet shop is the same and they have inflated, insane prices on these dogs. At the vet hospital that i work we get all sorts of 'fancy, rare' breeds and i make a point of saying 'Öh a cavoodle a cav x poodle' and thats the way its entered into the computer. We recently had boxadors (boxer X labrador) and minature border collies (part shih tzu part border collies). I rehome unwanted ex racing greyhounds maybe i should sell them as giant whippets!!

That's gold :rofl:

One of the pet shops up here had Pom puppies for sale. They looked like poms but not particularly well bred ones, most probably BYB with a bit of something other than pure Pom in there somewhere. I asked how much and almost fell over when told they were $1100! The shop assistant (a young girl) then went on to tell me that they were purebred but didn't have papers as they were not allowed to sell them with papers. I should have said no love, they don't have papers cause any good breeder wouldn't sell their pups to a shop and these pups don't look all that well bred!

A new one just opened up near me and I popped in for a look-see the other day when I was out walking Koda. Rolled my eyes when I walked in and saw puppies, didn't go to that side of the shop to investigate further but stopped to check out the accessories and overheard the owner on the phone to a customer saying that such and such pup had sold that morning, not sure when the breeder could provide another, yada yada then heard him quote $1500, nearly died, hugged my pup close and slunk out the door never to return in a pink fit!

I was in City Farmers a few weeks back and noted that they are soon to be stocking and selling reptiles, told the girl on the counter my visiting days are numbered because a. I HATE reptiles and b. I disagree with shops that sell 'pets' although they've always stocked fish and hermit crabs, so I should have been a non-customer from the beginning really.

We're staying near brissy this weekend and went to the shops today and I looked in the window of the shopping centre pet shop - they had Maltese x Maltese x shih tzu. Also a sign up saying "important notice- all our puppies are bought from reputable breeders. We do not and will not support puppy farms"

Reputable back yard breeders.

A paper I was reading today had wait for it

50% off all dogs and cats at the local RSPCA

and then when reading the classifieds 50% off all puppies in one of their petshops.

still shaking my head

and then when reading the classifieds 50% off all puppies in one of their petshops.

still shaking my head

I believe the RSCPA one has been a nation wide thing, ours had the same. All homes were still checked and all pets desexed before they sold. I know a lot of people who were going to get a pet from a pet shop change to the RSPCA because they were cheaper - rather see the pounds get the money than the pet shops.

I very rarely go into pet shops, but today I did go into one. They had puppies in there...the usual assortment of cavoodles, moodles, etc...and also 4 purebred Wire Haired Fox Terrier pups and also 2 Beagle pups.

There was a sign up stating that some VERY RARE pups were coming in soon - Pug x French Bulldog....sigh! :(

If that is the person that I am thinking of her base line breeding dogs are mains registered and she has recently had a litter with a bitch from the first litter to a piebald frenchie dog. Was that shop in the Adelaide Hills?

I would rather any dog got a good lifelong home and I hate pet shops but I still could not believe that,

How are people ever supposed to think that animals are not disposable and they are a chatel/item when the rspca even do discounts.

It is like oh hello we are a bit over supplied so have a discount.

has to be a better way

It is a bit like last year they had a campaign for not buying pets as presents and then a couple of days before Xmas advertised they were staying open late and having a sausage sizzle so why not come down an adopt a pet :confused:

still shaking my head

I believe the RSCPA one has been a nation wide thing, ours had the same. All homes were still checked and all pets desexed before they sold. I know a lot of people who were going to get a pet from a pet shop change to the RSPCA because they were cheaper - rather see the pounds get the money than the pet shops.

Well, I just hope that the RSPCA are checking homes a lot better these days - I remember many years ago some neighbours of mine getting a puppy (from memory a Great Dane/Rhodesian Ridgeback cross)from the RSPCA - they had a very small back yard & weren't prepared to put any time into training the dog-soon gave up walking him in the local park so they just left him chained up in the backyard :mad

Casowner, the shop was right in the city.

Oh I know which one and it is the breeder I was thinking of, they are the pugxfrenchie cross frenchie pups going there. I think brindle ones and possibly a pied from what I was told

I just shook my head at the VERY RARE sign.

The Wire Haired Foxies (all boys) were about $900 each...there was a young woman there thinking about purchasing two of them. I took great pleasure in saying that I paid just a little more for a purebred dog (another breed) from a reputable, registered breeder and not a pet shop.

I know a lady who paid $1650 for a Golden Retriever X Poodle from a pet shop that was "papered" :eek: She showed me the papers which was something the breeder printed up as a pedigree Groodle nominating the sire was a Standard Poodle and the dam a Golden Retriever with photos of them with their "pet" names.

This lady in not someone you would take as a fool, but she was totally hooked on this papered cross breed she got for a bargain price, I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing on these papers, the whole thing was on the nose almost fraudulent really :mad

Edited by PetSitters