Doggie Toilet Question

With all this rain in Sydney, I don't like leaving our boy outside as it's normally around 8am - 6pm. He has a kennel, and shelter, although it's not extensive, but he never seems to stay in/under it, & is a drowned rat when I get home. When I let him in, he goes & lays on his bed and cleans himself and generally gets cosy & comfortable.

I'd really like to leave him inside but is that too long to expect him to hold on ? He's been for a morning walk & peed/pooed & I'd get him to go again on command before I leave.

He hasn't soiled inside the house since he was a very young puppy and he happily sleeps from 10pm-7am or so without a break.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

mine hold on that long, but some DOLers have told me I'm cruel because of it. If I've run late, my girl might wee (I don't have any carpet so it isn't a drama). That is my fault, not hers, and I just clean it up.

I think it depends on the dog. Our boy would hold that long easily but our girl probably wouldn't.

Mine get left outside when it's raining. They have shelter but like yours, don't seem to use it much ;) Anyway, they always seem happy enough when I get home :)

My older girl 3 1/2 holds from 7:30 am until I get home between 5:30/6 ish each day but my younger 9 month old generally doesn't most days she has an accident (my fault not hers) some days she is ok but I would say that is partly an age thing as well.

The last thing they do before I leave for work is go out for a wee/poo I am sure that helps.

mine hold on that long, but some DOLers have told me I'm cruel because of it. If I've run late, my girl might wee (I don't have any carpet so it isn't a drama). That is my fault, not hers, and I just clean it up.

I agree with megan's thoughts. Oscar can hold on but is usually doing a little dance by the time I get home or once the excitement of me being home has worn off I tell him to go potty.

Do you have a back covered verandah or anything you can put his kennel under? I've moved Oscar's up on the front covered Verandah and he is very happy in there.

Charlie can hold it all day... he doesn't like rain and getting wet.

I do carry him out every 3 or 4 hours though but I put him down and he walks straight back inside again and into his crate.

Bubby holds on all day.

I was not comfortable doing this at first but Bubby loves to live inside and used to cry at the back door when I tried to send him out in the morning. He has lived like this for 4 years now and he loves it! He has the run of the whole house.

I leave out a towel for him to toilet on if I think he is not feeling well and this generally only happens once or twice a yr.

Edited by Bubitty

yeh, I think I'll leave him inside today. I have managed to work from home til now (10.45am) so less time for him to hang out anyway, and it's POURING ! Plus, he's taken up his position in the beanbag looking at me pleadingly as if to say, I'm very comfortable you know.

I do carry him out every 3 or 4 hours though but I put him down and he walks straight back inside again and into his crate.

Same - I'm left standing outside!

Me too. With the umbrella and everything...

But Charlie and Em have access to go outside whenever they want.

yeh, I think I'll leave him inside today. I have managed to work from home til now (10.45am) so less time for him to hang out anyway, and it's POURING ! Plus, he's taken up his position in the beanbag looking at me pleadingly as if to say, I'm very comfortable you know.

Can you have a Doggie Door put in? Then he can come and go as he pleases.....

Long ago I lived in a basement apartment and had a dog (Labbie) with a broken leg. Toilet was traumatic. My vet said she can hold it for 26 hours. I found that was accurate advice . . . we got the sling out once a day and braved the steps. For a healthy dog, I think toilet is mostly psychological and for the psyche, you don't want to go that long.

Can you have a Doggie Door put in? Then he can come and go as he pleases.....

Not really just due to access to our house. We are moving/building in the not-too-distant future & he will definitely have one there.

My dogs have an incrediable large sized bladder when its raining as well. They can easily hold on from late afternoon to the next morning if the weather is bad. We had a $200 dog door put in and it makes no difference. Its still raining and wet outside!!

Kiff used to be able to hold on for about 12 hours but I think that was more to do with him prefering to be inside and busting than outside with all the water/dirt/cold/outsidey things, even if it was only for a few minutes. The few times he had accidents inside though, it was massive amounts. I actually caught him halfway through once.. he started.. I noticed.. he kept going.. I stood there waiting for him to finish.. he kept going.. I went and got a few old towels from the linen cupboard.. he kept going.. I put the towels under him to soak some of it up.. he kept going..

From the amount, I assumed he hadn't actually gone the last time I'd put him outside. He had a tendency to run down onto the grass, turn around and run straight back up the stairs again, probably hoping that'd be good enough to be let back in :rolleyes:

My dogs have an incrediable large sized bladder when its raining as well. They can easily hold on from late afternoon to the next morning if the weather is bad. We had a $200 dog door put in and it makes no difference. Its still raining and wet outside!!

Hah! Mine are exactly the same, heaven forbid they get their dainty paws wet :laugh: