Dog/puppy Buyer Scam!

bluedeer

This is a scam and has been done on all sorts of goods not just dogs.

The way it works is the buyer pays $100,000 by cheque or western union and then contacts the seller and says that he has overpaid by an extra zero as price should have been $10,000 and asks seller to transfer difference back - $90,000 - seller does this and then bank informs that original payment by buyer is fraudulent - the buyer is overseas but not in the country stated so is near impossible to track down.

Why on earth though would someone transfer money back to someone, without the cheque first being cleared and you have it as CASH, not uncleared funds. Maybe they deserve to be scammed eek1.gifembarrass.gif

That's why they use paypal, as they have fake paypal pages which they email confirming that they have deposited the funds. Looks very similar to the real one, it is just the web page address which gives it away. If you're not on the net a lot, then I can see how someone would think it was legit. I'm too suspicious these days and assume everything is a scam, until proven otherwise! :laugh:

You reminded me Dust Angel :eek: (yours is pretty freaky!), I got one by snail mail too. A letter from a Spanish law firm requiring my details as I was a beneficiary to some fancy well to do relo. I googled the company, and it's legit, but the address and phone number were different (and from Portugal not Spain). They were asking me to email them, and their dodgy email address incorporated the name of the firm and one of their lawyers, so at a glance it looked pretty convincing.

One we got was from Paul FISH who was an oceanographer :laugh: who needed a third party to pick up our $50 000 Prado that he was buying as a gift to his son. :eek:The name had me suss straight up.

I actually got an email from Muhammad Ali- who's apparently moved to Africa, set up an oil business and just needs me to transfer him a small fee so I can collect the eleventybillion dollars he borrowed off me once.

:laugh: Yes, i don't use one of my email adresses for this reason anymore! If I do sign into it, there are 500 emails telling me how rich I am!! It's either some overseas lottery, a long lost dead relo, some millionaire dying wanting to gift their millions to me, the russian mob needing me to move money for them....it's endless!

One of my more recent dog-related ones was requesting boarding..

Hello,

Compliments of the day,i am Mr Greg Woods from the United kingdom,i want to check availability for my pets in your facility,i got this pets on my birthday and i want to make reservations for grooming,bathing,obedience training,this reservations will run from the month Sept 5th to 30th 2011.i am on a summit around your area and i will be visiting your facility after two weeks of my pets stay,i hope this is acceptable, i do not have much knowledge on pets and not really use to them so i would like to know what to bring to your facility, Do you have any boarding agreements? what are the hours of operations?What are your payment option ?Do you accept credit cards?(visa, master card)Get back to me in details with necessary information i need to know,enclose the total cost of your services,or an estimate of the cost of this booking,i await your suggestions and reply towards my request,hope to hear from you soonest.

I guess they figured out people weren't buying the yorkie puppy scam anymore.

:eek::eek:

I just got a weird overseas call from "Telstra" telling me my bill will be halved. I asked if I could recieve that notification in writing. Apparently it would be better if I heard it over the phone I'm told. I replied that he could be anyone, and I'd believe it if I saw it on a Testra letterhead. He hung up! :laugh: I guess this thread is making me very suspicious...I hate overseas telemarketers anyway.

Anyone get the phone call telling them they had won a family holiday to Miami? All you had to do was supply your credit card details to pay for the airfare, and you got accomodation, transfers, tours and some theme parks free! All because I entered some online contest I forgot about. :rolleyes:

Ah, I can relate to those supposed Telstra calls. I had quite a few of them last year, always from people with foreign accents and none-too-good English skills. Some of them told me straight up they were calling from overseas.

When I would ask when Telstra would tell me in writing or any other question about the hows and whys, they'd hang up. Before I went on the Do Not Call register, I took to blowing a whistle HARD down the phone. That worked. Calls have dropped off since I registered. Lately it's been the "calling about the problem with your computer" - to which I say I don't have one, they hang up. Even my OLD mother who's never used a computer in her life is getting these calls recently.

I guess I could give these people a couple of marks for creative thinking but minus marks for intelligence. :mad

The way it works is the buyer pays $100,000 by cheque or western union and then contacts the seller and says that he has overpaid by an extra zero as price should have been $10,000 and asks seller to transfer difference back - $90,000 - seller does this and then bank informs that original payment by buyer is fraudulent - the buyer is overseas but not in the country stated so is near impossible to track down.

Why on earth though would someone transfer money back to someone, without the cheque first being cleared and you have it as CASH, not uncleared funds. Maybe they deserve to be scammed eek1.gifembarrass.gif

That's why they use paypal, as they have fake paypal pages which they email confirming that they have deposited the funds. Looks very similar to the real one, it is just the web page address which gives it away. If you're not on the net a lot, then I can see how someone would think it was legit. I'm too suspicious these days and assume everything is a scam, until proven otherwise! :laugh:

But wouldn't you still check the funds were in your account?! Or attempt withdraw it to your account first from paypal if that is how it works. I just don't understand how anyone on the receiving end would just send back several thousand dollars without checking first :shrug:

Edited by RubyStar

You reminded me Dust Angel :eek: (yours is pretty freaky!), I got one by snail mail too. A letter from a Spanish law firm requiring my details as I was a beneficiary to some fancy well to do relo. I googled the company, and it's legit, but the address and phone number were different (and from Portugal not Spain). They were asking me to email them, and their dodgy email address incorporated the name of the firm and one of their lawyers, so at a glance it looked pretty convincing.

Ahhhhhhh, now I get the gist of things. What you are telling us is that it is not really Pay Pal just looks like it.

Ah, I can relate to those supposed Telstra calls. I had quite a few of them last year, always from people with foreign accents and none-too-good English skills. Some of them told me straight up they were calling from overseas.

When I would ask when Telstra would tell me in writing or any other question about the hows and whys, they'd hang up. Before I went on the Do Not Call register, I took to blowing a whistle HARD down the phone. That worked. Calls have dropped off since I registered. Lately it's been the "calling about the problem with your computer" - to which I say I don't have one, they hang up. Even my OLD mother who's never used a computer in her life is getting these calls recently.

I guess I could give these people a couple of marks for creative thinking but minus marks for intelligence. :mad

We have caller ID and it says Overseas on the phone. I generally give the phone to my 2 or 5 year old. They hang up pretty quickly!

And yep, Oakway, there isn't really a paypal transaction, just a fake page with your details. Google earth is always handy when checking fake addresses. ;)

Although it sounds Dodgy I'm not sure how the scam works because if money is paypal'd over to you then you'd have the money?

I had a heap of these type when we sold our car. They offer more than asking price, supposedly pay by paypal (but send you scam paypal emails - always read very carefully the email address), then ask you to pay back the extra via Western union to the third party who supposedly will pick up the goods. There is never any intention to get the dog or item off you, just for you to transfer the difference via western union.

One we got was from Paul FISH who was an oceanographer :laugh: who needed a third party to pick up our $50 000 Prado that he was buying as a gift to his son. :eek: The name had me suss straight up. I then recieved about 3 nasty emails from Western Australia Police (another fake web page they had done up) threatening legal action if I did not send money to the third party. Might have been a bit more believable if someone with English as a first language had written it though. Was quite laughable after I got over the hide of them.

I think emails asking for "your final asking price" are always a give away. I recieved one yesterday:

Dear sir,

I am a labrador retriever lover and breeder in Macau and Hong Kong. Now I am looking for champion labrador retriever black young male . I am very interest in champion labrador retriever black young male. How much are you asking and shipping to Macau? Thank you for your attention on this e-mail, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hmmm, if someone was really after a champion dog, I think the first question would relate to the parents or health testing, and as the price is in my ads and on my website, it is generally not something I get asked.

could this last one be legit? If you have the dog advertised on your website - they may be genuine. They would be speaking cantonese, and so may not have english and using a bad chinese/english online translator (you should see the laughs a chinese housemate and I had once about translations with the program on her computer). BUT - would you export your dog to China - even if you thought they might be legit?

Has anyone seen the blog from the guy who took on the Nigerian scammers? Some of his emails in reply were absolutely hilarious. I can't find a link at the moment.

I got a phone call tonight about the problem with my computer. Evidently they had been monitoring my computer for a long time (very nice of them) and they have discovered I have downloaded all these virus's which are stopping my computer from detecting said virus's. I told them I dont believe you and hung up. My Mother in law received same phone call last week and told them she doesnt have a computer and they hung up. In the past she has received these types of phone calls and given them my phone number because we have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not impressed and told her DO NOT give our phone number to anyone.

I almost got scammed on the 'macaw' scam. I soon wisened up also when the sellers english was absolutely appalling and the second day I saw the same add posted but from a different location. They all are in Macaroon? And they were selling blue and gold macaws because it was their daughters' and she died in a tragic but convenient car accident so they were rehoming macaws because the bird reminded them off their deceased daughter, macaws worth a minimum of $5000 for $1000 which was supposedly going to cover the cost of shipping. But then when I drilled them about shipping and quarantine and also basic care of the macaws, what equipment was needed and to send me some photos they buckled and never responded to me again. Just a warning any other exotic bird lovers on this site. Macaws are not that cheap and if they are GIVE THEM TO ME!! Haha

I get an email like that.. It goes to the lovely folder called "Junk".

If you read it through again, you can pick up the language converter or something similar used as the grammar and wording is not written where English is a native tongue.

I have had very similar ones sent to me before.. Most tend to come out of Asia region. Although I did have one come from South Australia.. conveniently, they were working off shore and did not have a phone number where I could call them...

Anyone who tells me in a first email, " I can collect through shipping company" smacks of dealer or scam

Def mystiq you know the scammers went to the trouble of creating a false site like some one also posted above it was a fake shipping company. I clicked on it but I could tell it wasn't legit. I'm not slow Australia has STRICT quarantine policies and when I asked how long it would take to quarantine and what facility it would be held in the answers stopped coming. They were just saying, 'Send money to account and once received we will transport macaw.' I got shifty as soon as they said they were overseas it would be highly stressful for an exotic parrot to undergo cargo without strict planning. They couldn't even send me photos of the bird. I mean they could have googled :p

Edited by jackie_a1

I have had those calls as well...I just laughed and then said something rude about how Telstra wouldn't give anyone even a $1 discount on their bill let alone 50%...bunch of D***k heads

I have been scam by people saying they have a pup or dog to give away to a good home.

Below it a list of the people who have sent me a scam email plus a copy of the email.

[email protected],

[email protected],

[email protected].

[email protected],

[email protected]

Below are the

information of the puppy;

Name:Andy

Breed: Dachshund

Sex: male

Vet checked and vaccinated? Yes

Hobby: He loves playing with Tennis balls,he is just fantastic. he is full of energy and loves to play with anyone who will give him a minute. But he can also just relax and watch TV with you if the mood strikes. He is going to be a quirky, fun addition to your family and anyone who meets him is instantly smitten with him. You won't picture your life without him

Other information: He is house and toilet trained.

I am not located in the Shoalhaven area, but the reason for giving him away for adoption is because i am to go for a Knee surgery in the U.S,and will not be able to carry him along, neither can i leave him all by himself, so i am looking for a new family anywhere here in Australia that can adopt him and give him a new life.If you think you can really take good care of him,kindly let me know so we can proceed with adoption process. I am not a breeder, I love pets, which is why i do not want to sell him but rather give him for free

adoption to a family that will promise him much love and care and also promise that they will always send me his pictures while he is with them.They are like semi-humans you know.Where exactly are you located,

and how soon do you want him.

Photo of puppy

Hope to read from you soon.

Thanks

____

The next email he sent me.

Hi again and thanks for getting back . I am really impressed with the fact that you love Andy so much.From your expression, it shows that you are a great pet lover and that Andy will feel at home when he is with you. As such i have decided to let you have him.The little problem we may have now now is that of distance, since I am located in Perth,Australia. However if you think the distance is too much,i suggest that you let me arrange for a reliable and safe Pet transportation agency , to transport him to your home at a fair price.If we are to go by this, what you will need to do at the moment is to send me your details which will enable me to register him for transportation as well as to do a complete transfer of ownership documents to your names . the information include;

your full names............................

house address............................

phone number(s)..........................

postal code................................

nearest airport to your home................

As soon as i get the information and according to your schedule i will go and register him for transportation to your home and also do the transfer of ownership to your name.Thereafter ,the transportation company will contact you using the details you shall provide to confirm registration ,give you details of the transportation and to tell you how to pay for the transportation.It should be noted that it is going to be a home delivery service. The cost of transportation is about $170-220 depending on the quality of service we will use and it will be paid directly to the transportation company. The flight time from here to Cairns is about 4-5 hours. I will be going for the surgery next week end and i will only return after three months.Its a hard decision, but i had to take such a decision which best for Andy's well being .Please kindly let me know when exactly you will be needing him.

Thanks Ivan

post-39995-0-13167000-1307757488_thumb.jpg

post-39995-0-59914100-1307757510_thumb.jpg

post-39995-0-79123500-1307757526_thumb.jpg