How Smart Are Boxers?

Hi there. I have trained dogs for many years, and been member of a few different obedience clubs. I trained mostly German Shepard cross dogs and a few bitsa's (mongrels). I've trained puppy's and older dogs that we've rescued from the pound. All with great success. All my life I've wanted a Boxer dog...can't explain why, I just think they look kinda cool with their cute droopy eyes and those sad faces. Finally I am in a position where I can get one. Of course I'd be doing obedience training with him but having mentioned this to a few people I've had a few negative comments about Boxers and their intelligence level or rather lack of it. They are often refered to as big clowns, taking about 9 years to grow up then dying at age 11. So before I spend mega bucks on a Boxer pup I'd like some opinions. Do you have Boxers and obedience train them? Do they do well? Do you know Boxers at your obedience club and how good are they? I don't mind a playfull dog but want one that's going to concentrate and work. I've never had a dog I couldn't train but then again I've never had a Boxer.

I've seen Boxers competing in agilty and obedience. I think they are willing enough and their main limitation is in the skill and enthusiasm of the owner.

It might be more of a challenge than training a GSD to a high level of obedience comp but not impossible. Things that worked with your previous dogs, you may need to find new ways to achieve with a boxer.

I see two boxers (besides the agility boxer) on a regular basis at my local park. They both seem quite smart. One has an owner that trains and the other doesn't and it shows. But they're both very nice dogs and will happily work for tail rubs and food.

We had some amazing & very talented boxers In agility in NSW a few years ago. They were extremely powerful & very impressive agility dogs. The lady that trained & ran them has a good sense of humour, lots of patience & most importantly took genuine joy in running them.

I always loved watching them. I'm sure she does/did obedience as well.

I could try to contact her & ask if she'd be willing to have a chat with you? She's a great source of information.

We had some amazing & very talented boxers In agility in NSW a few years ago. They were extremely powerful & very impressive agility dogs. The lady that trained & ran them has a good sense of humour, lots of patience & most importantly took genuine joy in running them.

I always loved watching them. I'm sure she does/did obedience as well.

I could try to contact her & ask if she'd be willing to have a chat with you? She's a great source of information.

They were nice Boxers, saw her at an All Breeds show recently. I think one was on the Pal Superdog team.... many moons ago

I like Boxers - they look like they enjoy life :D

There was one at one of my agility clubs (I haven't been for a while so not sure if she is still there). Did obedience and agility, though her focus was more on obedience (lots of handler focus and eye contact). She was doing quite well, was a lovely enthusiastic dog.

Hello

Ex boxer owner and fan here who actually used to trial a boxer whose name was BRANDWAG ZINGALONG , purchased in the 80's. His call name was Nelson and he was a very easy dog to train. He never got his CD because he was always minused points because of barking. He never barked he just continually whined MUMMMMMM MUMMMMMMM. I wrote letters to the CCC of QLD as well to no avail because he was making a noise it was classed as barking.

He was fabulous in obedience and agility and he passed away after a lot of treatment for cancer at the age of 8 years. The Tassans who are judges had two well trained boxers at that time as well.

They are very smart and regardless of what people with no experience of Boxers say they are not dumb or hard to train.

Always remember they were also used as police dogs in England.

SO good luck and I would love to hear how you go,.

There are several boxers in our obedience club and they seem no harder to train than any other breeds in the club. At the end of the day it's up to you, pick the breed you like as long as you are prepared for it.

What they all said :laugh: I've never done agility or obedience. That said I have had two female boxers that I think would have done well at agility. They were both very smart. The male boxer I have at the moment makes two planks of wood look like a computer :o:laugh:

The Boxer personality reminds me a little of my Dalmatian (who competes in obedience and agility) - not the easiest dog to train but it's not due to a lack of brains....if it is a lack of intelligence it's probably on the human side ;) They are a heap of fun when you find out what makes them tick and they really keep you honest as a trainer.

They are very smart- which is not necessarily and advantage in Obedience- it means you have to work harder!

People say they are dumb because the dogs are actually too smart- in some cases I think they are smarter than their owners ;)

Boxers are very playful and retain this well into adulthood, some would say they can be eternal puppies.

But I think this also makes them eager to please and fun to work with.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

I had a boxer for 10 years, eventually dying of lung cancer.

She was perfectly obedience trained. She was playful but not stupid.

We had boxers growing up and i think they are pretty smart!

Would do great in agility and could outjump anything! :laugh:

There's at least one boxer competing at quite a high level around here. My Dad has gone back to having boxers again and although he doesn't compete, with a little bit of polish, I think both his dogs could be competitive quickly. I think the trick with any playful dog is to keep the fun in it for both of you, and make sure that you train with that in mind!

Awesome!! still keen on the breed, I guess there are dummies in every breed (and us humans too, I sure have my 'blonde' moments).

KOE what a pitty you lost your Boxer at age 8 and no I didn't know they used them as police dogs in the UK...cool!

What I hate most about the big breeds (and dogs in general) is that they have such a short lifespan...after 10 years or so spent training one dog you have the perfect companion who is highly trained, a great guard dog, dedicated to their owner and part of the family...and then...they die :( and we have to start all over again. I still miss my previous German Shepard Cross who died of cancer at age 10 last year (the perfect dog in every way...oh wait she was the worlds stinkiest dog...ok maybe not 100% perfect but pretty close).

It's just so un-fair they should have the same lifespan as us humans. I am off to send an e-mail of complaint to mother nature about the un-fairness of it all.