Acp Medication

Tara is 14 and half years old and has never liked being groomed

I normally scissor cut her in between mobile groomer ,( full clip and wash )

she shivers and shakes but normally will settle down after hour or so

she did get very fearfull last clipping with groomer

as she is getting older and has been deaf for few years now and is loosing her sight with Caterahs ? and the loss of her partner for 14 years , she has become so insecure and fearfull

She wont even let me get close enough to try and scissor cut her anymore

it is a real struggle for both of us

I am frightened I will cut her accidently

she just squeals and wriggles so much , ( it upsets me and stresses her out )

So as she is going to be groomed by regular groomer I rang Vet and asked about something to help calm her before the appointment

they read her history and health records and have recommended ACP 10 mg 1 tablet hour before grooming

but after reading some comments about them they looked like nasty side affects for some dogs to the extent some have died after having them :(

and apparently they relax the body but not the mind or the anxiety

she allready has problems with her legs giving way on her some times

so has any one tried these and are they as bad as what I have been reading, to the point they could cause fits and other problems

Thanks

they read her history and health records and have recommended ACP 10 mg 1 tablet hour before grooming

but after reading some comments about them they looked like nasty side affects for some dogs to the extent some have died after having them :(

and apparently they relax the body but not the mind or the anxiety

she allready has problems with her legs giving way on her some times

so has any one tried these and are they as bad as what I have been reading, to the point they could cause fits and other problems

Thanks

what about valium? They are opposite to above, relax the mind moreso than the body

I wouldn't use ACE on a dog for grooming.

You could try valium but that needs to be given when the dog is in a calm and relaxed state.

A good groomer, with a kind hand will be able to get their hands on your dog anyway and groom with minimal stress and to be honest you are better off not being there, as you'll upset the dog more with your stress. Give her a valium, hand her over and leave the groomer to it.

I would ask for an appointment at the end of the day. Being mobile they are often limited for time during the day, not that a good groomer rushes a dog but it's nice to have the extra time if needed.

I am going to ring the Vet back and mention about what I have read on the ACP

I did actually ask about the Valium yesterday before the girl spoke to the vet

I was told her eyes would look droopy

I forgot all about Nervatona , thats athought also :)

and also need to get some Rescue Remedy for future use

My Mobile Groomer I have used for many years and she is good and I have always stayed with her and Tara , as it has calmed Tara as mentioned she shook and shaked but she really has lost a lot of secureity last year or so

Pers that was the bit that frightened me , that she would be alert and have no control over her body , even though I and groomer would have been more aware of this

Readysetgo , yes I have heaard that many times about not being there with dogs, but with Tara it has always settled her with me there

and her appointments are normally 2 1/2 hours for clipping and wash and dry etc

Thanks for the replies

I was worried abbout the seizures , and possible death at her age from what some had said about them

Lost 1 dog 6 months ago and my Dad 2 months ago , so dont need another one happening

Thought I was doing the right thing to keep her more settled , but not sure about what was given

Thanks for the replies

I refuse to groom any dog that is sedated ( other than using valium to calm the dog ).

I've had them fall over in the bath, fall of the table ( great fun catching a dog ), refuse or be unable to stand up and that's with vets having given the dosage.

Grooming is risky enough with a dog that is fully aware of what's going on. Better that they be nervous or even hard to handle then drugged

Thanks for the replies

I did ring the Vet and spoke to another one and voiced my concerns

especially about the blood pressure and respiratory and he agreeded he wouldnt use them himself

so he is going to swap them for Valium , and see how she goes on those IF I need them , he said they can be quick acting

I did ring my groomer yesterday and talked to her about the sedation side of it and she agreed we will see how she goes to start with and then take it from there ,

ReadySetGo , Tara did that when she was younger in a split 2nd to get to me just outside the mobile van , and she was cuaght mid air lol

so then I go into the trailer with her and that has settled her a little bit over the years

Thanks for the replies

I knew I could get some good advice on the medications

much appreciated :)

I agree with asking your vet for valium. ACP tends to affect motor control...whilst leaving the dog terrified :(

I agree with this. In fact, it was a good vet who originally pointed out to me the awfulness of 'sedation' that just affects motor control....while the dog is terrified, unable to express it.

Also agree with Christina's suggestion & RSG's take on it, from an experienced groomer's view.