What To Put In The Backyard For Dogs?

Isabel964

You know how some families put swings and a cubby house and a sandpit in the backyard for the kids to play in? Well what do people do for dogs?

My dogs are mainly indoor dogs, but we are moving to a home with a lovely back yard and I will be going to full time work in the next few months....so my girls will need to get used to spending hours and hours outside.

OK, so I can put in a sand pit.

I can put in a nice double kennel set up that will protect them from the rain, sun and wind if I am not home.

What about the equivalent of a slide/swing set....does anyone make dog-sets for dogs to play on, sleep in, have fun with?

I know my girls love sunbaking, they love dog hammocks. So the hammocks, the double kennel (like a cubbyhouse) and the sandpit are the ideas I have so far.

Anyway, just asking because I was wondering if anyone makes stuff for dogs in the backyard....and know if they do, you guys will be able to tell me :)

Otherwise, any ideas would be good.

Here's the link to a recent thread about home alone tug toys

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/221474-home-alone-tug-toy/

They're reasonably easy and cheap to make yourself, and that way it's no drama if your dogs don't enjoy it :D

Mine was too smart, he realised that if he just chewed through the twine the tyre was tied up with, he could get the tyre off the stupid contraption, which was all he wanted. Now it's boring, apparently ;) I might have to come up with a better plan. He loves tugging, but not on his own, it seems.

Sand pits are good for dogs too :)

My dog would love a slide in the backyard. He's nuts about them!

In all seriousness, you dogs will mostly likely sleep for a lot of the day. There have been a lot of days where I have gone to work and come home to Zero who was still in the same spot as when I left.

We have a double level platform with ramps either side. Our boys LOVE it!

Idigadogboys31210.jpg

They also love spending time on our son's Cubby House. They climb up the rock wall or stairs and some will go down the slide.

DSC_0371.jpg

idigadog what lucky dogs and little boy!

I have a clam shell half full of water all year. I don't fill it because then the cane toads can get in and out, but half full they get in and usually can't get out-so I can catch and freeze them. It gets used a lot in summer and even the odd winter days. It also serves as a water bowl that never gets knocked over.

It could be a pain if you had little children as when any come here for a visit I either stay with them in the yard or lock the door to the garden.

We have a double level platform with ramps either side. Our boys LOVE it!

Idigadogboys31210.jpg

They also love spending time on our son's Cubby House. They climb up the rock wall or stairs and some will go down the slide.

DSC_0371.jpg

Wow! I don't know who to be more jealous of- your gorgeous dogs with their platform, or your son's awesome cubbyhouse! :D

Idigadog, I'll have to get them a platform - that one of yours looks awesome! My dogs would love it to sunbake on, and the do seem to like being higher up. My Westie kept jumping up and sunbathing on the outdoor table. She would use the chairs to jump up but then jump straight down which is bad for her legs. So now I keep the chairs tucked right in so she can't get up. But she will love a platform. Maybe a cubby house and definitely a sandpit or pile.

I'll keep looking at the link some of you posted and future replies too. you know, its kinda fun planning a backyard for the dogs! :)

Wow! I don't know who to be more jealous of- your gorgeous dogs with their platform, or your son's awesome cubbyhouse! :D

Cheers! Daddies and Pa's come in very handy for making these things ;) I have to admit though that I had a ball when it was my turn to use the nail gun :laugh:

Idigadog, I'll have to get them a platform - that one of yours looks awesome! My dogs would love it to sunbake on, and the do seem to like being higher up.

Thanks Sky. Our boys spend alot of time sunbaking and the platform is perfect. I want hubby to build another one now for the other running yard. The ramps are awesome because puppies can get up and down easily and it's a great work out for their muscles.

Do they do zoomies up and down the ramps Idigadog?

I can picture my loony doing just that.

If I could design a dog yard there is a LOT I would do :laugh:

One would be to have a cave or den for my girl.

She's got a half arsed one under the pergola thing. The floor of the pergola is 3/4 concrete slab, and her little den is under the wooden decking bit. She loves to get in there and sing to herself. My dog is strange :p

A clam shell pool or similar water feature is a winner here as well.

Do they do zoomies up and down the ramps Idigadog?

Totally! Roary is the best at it. He flies up one side, barely puts a paw on the platform and then flies down the other side.

Man, Id be so scared to use a nailgun! I am way too much of a clutz.

My Mum couldn't watch :laugh:

One thing I have always wanted to add to my dog yards is a big concrete pipe covered with a dirt/grass 'hill' so they have something to climb over and sit on top of and something to go through and lie in. The pipe would be lovely and cool in summer.

One thing I have always wanted to add to my dog yards is a big concrete pipe covered with a dirt/grass 'hill' so they have something to climb over and sit on top of and something to go through and lie in. The pipe would be lovely and cool in summer.

That is such a cool idea - if we ever get a yard big enough, I'm definitely stealing your idea!

Me too!

One of my dog's favorites is a plush toy tied by a length of rope to a crossbeam on the decking. The toy dangles at about dog-head height so playing tug-o-war is easy, and it sways around provocatively when knocked. The toy has to be replaced every so often when bits come off, but it has proved to be an ongoing favorite in the backyard.