What Are The Hallmarks...

Being new to the world of showing and still on the learning curb does anyone know where I can get this book Caroline Coile's "Show Me".

This thread is great reading for someone like me thanks everyone :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying congratulations to the winners.

thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

what NOT to do...........have a absolute hissy fit when the judge refuses challange with several dogs in the lineup, the judge's opinion on the day being she believed the dogs were unsound, cow hocked etc.

Then refuses to present animals for the class runoffs.

Then procceeds to bag out the BOB winner, forgetting that tents are not soundproof and BOB handler was standing in the next tent confused.gif

Oh wow, you're describing exactly what happened in SA this weekend. :laugh:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The ones who precede their conversations with "Would you like my opinion?" and "Can I offer you some advice?" and then manage to shut their gobs and keep their opinions and advice to themselves when the answer is "no, thanks".

The ones who precede their conversations with "Would you like my opinion?" and "Can I offer you some advice?" and then manage to shut their gobs and keep their opinions and advice to themselves when the answer is "no, thanks".

The best advice GayleK is for one to ignore any advice or opinions they don't like...don't become bitter and twisted over the little things! Dog shows, like life, contain content that's both positive and negative, if one cannot handle that and move on from any upsetting or annoying situations then it's probably not the hobby for such a person.

The ideal exhibitor presents and handles each dog to it's best advantage, shows courtesy to the steward, judge and fellow exhibitors by being organised and accepts the decision on the day.

In these times of intense networking & advertising through all media,

I still think the exhibitor that has a deep knowledge of their breed (not the exhibitor who has a new breed every weekend), dignity in winning or losing, generous with their mentoring / knowledge, keeping the politics off the field - would be my definition of a great exhibitor.

Also one who gives time to a club, wether its on the committee, or a bit of volunteering on show day, gives an exhibitor insight & appreciation for the work it takes to run a show for the enjoyment of all.

fifi

The best advice GayleK is for one to ignore any advice or opinions they don't like...don't become bitter and twisted over the little things! Dog shows, like life, contain content that's both positive and negative, if one cannot handle that and move on from any upsetting or annoying situations then it's probably not the hobby for such a person.

The ideal exhibitor presents and handles each dog to it's best advantage, shows courtesy to the steward, judge and fellow exhibitors by being organised and accepts the decision on the day.

Yes but often the people who are handing it out, invited or not, do actually know what they are talking about and it's the owner who doesn't want to hear it and is often too blind to see it for themselves.

I don't know how many people have run around poor examples of their breed, not groomed correctly, handled poorly and get all bitter and twisted when it doesn't win. Everyone else can see it, judges included, except for them.

Yes but often the people who are handing it out, invited or not, do actually know what they are talking about and it's the owner who doesn't want to hear it and is often too blind to see it for themselves.

I don't know how many people have run around poor examples of their breed, not groomed correctly, handled poorly and get all bitter and twisted when it doesn't win. Everyone else can see it, judges included, except for them.

Oh of course, happens all the time, see it all the time...

In these times of intense networking & advertising through all media,

I still think the exhibitor that has a deep knowledge of their breed (not the exhibitor who has a new breed every weekend), dignity in winning or losing, generous with their mentoring / knowledge, keeping the politics off the field - would be my definition of a great exhibitor.

Also one who gives time to a club, wether its on the committee, or a bit of volunteering on show day, gives an exhibitor insight & appreciation for the work it takes to run a show for the enjoyment of all.

fifi

Yes!

Anyone who gets "bitter and twisted" over a dog show definitely needs a new hobby, and probably a new therapist. It is, after all, just a dog show. It's not like it's anything important. But by the same token anyone who can't display basic good manners should find something else to do with their time.......and that includes keeping their unsolicited opinions to themselves.

Opinions about other peoples exhibits, the judges, the committee etc. Unless it's asked for, don't give it. Much safer that way.

I like a person who is respectful to other exhibitors, despite the fact that they are competition. Congratulate winning exhibitor, ask if they are ready to go, that sort of thing...

I used to do this but some people took it as a cue to run up my dogs bum. :mad

After listening to some advise from more experienced exhibitors - ;) - I stopped asking.

Anyone who gets "bitter and twisted" over a dog show definitely needs a new hobby, and probably a new therapist. It is, after all, just a dog show. It's not like it's anything important. But by the same token anyone who can't display basic good manners should find something else to do with their time.......and that includes keeping their unsolicited opinions to themselves.

Opinions about other peoples exhibits, the judges, the committee etc. Unless it's asked for, don't give it. Much safer that way.

I don't know about others but dog shows are important to me. I wouldn't do as much as I do, travel, entries, training, money etc if I didn't think it was important.

I enjoy, even love, the time I spend at shows both locally and when I travel interstate.

It may be safer to keep your opinions to yourself but it's also human nature to give them. Not getting so wrapped up in what others should or should not do and concentrating on my behaviour, the behaviour I can control, has made showing as enjoyable for me as it was when I started.

I had a year or so where I felt I was just going through the motions but recent changes in myself have seen me excited to show my dogs again.

Waiting for the opposite sex to be ready before taking off for breed.

I have a male so I'm at the front, I always wait for the owner of the bitch to finish adjusting their lead etc and make sure they are ready before I take off...

I haven't always been extended the same courtesy.

It may be safer to keep your opinions to yourself but it's also human nature to give them. Not getting so wrapped up in what others should or should not do and concentrating on my behaviour, the behaviour I can control, has made showing as enjoyable for me as it was when I started.

Really agree with this. Recently I was fretting a bit about social media, the behind the scenes bagging, and the breed politics. Someone said to me "words don't change a dog". That really struck me as sensible advice. If you care more about the dogs, the standard and your own plans then the fact someone is being snarky just noise. Of course, it also means that flattery is just noise too. :D

I used to be impressed by people standing ringside who appeared to know so much, now I know there are a lot of armchair experts but not a lot of real experts and that time in a breed doesn't always equate to a long distance travelled in the breed.

OTOH, as an exhibitor, I still think "never miss an opportunity to shut up" is good advice :laugh:

all of the above, but people who can forgive a newbie a little mistake here or there, with a smile. It does wonders for a new persons self esteem and confidence.

On this, i have a friend who was a newbie. Long time exhibitor had a go at her for not asking if she was ready to go. I'm still waiting for this long time exhibitor to do the same thing :rolleyes:

sometimes, exhibitors take advantage of newbies... so as oso says, if someone can go that extra mile and give a newb some encouragement, it goes a LONG way.

Edited by SparkyTansy