Breed Prejudice

My Prejudice is against people who make moronic statements about Breeds they know nothing about and have never owned. :mad

Owners of breeds that fail to acknowledge the heritage of their beloved breed, fail to acknowledge the percentage breakdown of personalities attracted to their breed of choice are more likely to make biased comments.

Some people do themselves no favours with head in the sand attitudes of what their breed is capable of without correct training, and using their own insular experience with their own dogs to say that people are unjustified to be wary of breeds which they HAVE had exposure too, even if it is just at the dog park.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Prejudice is against people who make moronic statements about Breeds they know nothing about and have never owned. :mad

Owners of breeds that fail to acknowledge the heritage of their beloved breed, fail to acknowledge the percentage breakdown of personalities attracted to their breed of choice are more likely to make biased comments.

Some people do themselves no favours with head in the sand attitudes of what their breed is capable of without correct training, and using their own insular experience with their own dogs to say that people are unjustified to be wary of breeds which they HAVE had exposure too, even if it is just at the dog park.

:thumbsup: need that like button again... :D

I have no breed prejudice as such and have seen good and not so good examples in most over the years, but there are breeds I am cautious of when walking dogs that I encounter roaming or off leash that have more potential for an aggressive reaction than others. Golden Retriver's, Labrador's, Beagle's, Setter's, Vizsla's, Spaniels to name a few from experience don't raise too much of an alarm encountering them, but I am cautious of Bull breeds, GSD's, Cattle Dogs to name a few I have had nasty experiences with being rushed at aggressively when encountering these breeds roaming off leash or in the company of owners who can't control them. One of my GSD's is dog aggressive in a big way, my other one who is actually a working line GSD an entire male is not DA in the slightest.

So, yes, there are breeds I am personally cautious of in an unleashed roaming situation that I have less trust in them not acting aggressively towards the dog I am walking than other breeds and one of those breeds is my own, a breed I am highly passionate about :)

What did I say about Moronic statements made by people who have never owned these Breeds, you have just proved my point. ;) In a perfect world every Breed would be under control when out with the owner,but it's not a prefect world is it. :mad:mad:mad

What did I say about Moronic statements made by people who have never owned these Breeds, you have just proved my point. ;) In a perfect world every Breed would be under control when out with the owner,but it's not a prefect world is it. :mad:mad:mad

so you think all breeds behave in the same way? all breeds are likely to react to a threat or another dog in the same way?

Dogs bred for different purposes will react to situations differently.

If you've owned different breeds then you will know that you have to manage some breeds quite differently.

Me too!

This is all true, any breed in the perfect home can be the perfect dog, but that's not what this thread is about. I don't think anyone here has even tried to say that no matter what the conditions, a particular breed will always be bad.

As for myself - one of the people prejudiced against staffies, my argument is merely that whether it's because staffies are a harder breed to raise correctly, or because they attract the wrong sorts of owners in the first place (or indeed a combination), a solid percentage of the staffies/bully cross types are dangerous to other dogs. As the owner of a large male doberman, I am not scared of most dogs, firstly because I know and have seen that my dog has no desire to fight and secondly because he's big and strong enough to mean that should for whatever reason he actually end up in a fight against another dog, there's a pretty good chance he'll win (or at least not be destroyed), unless, it's a staffy/bully type. Additionally, it has also been my experience that when dogs do get into a fight, knowledgeable humans can often intervene and reduce the damage done (as I saw with a blue heeler vs a lab fight). But when it's a staffy involved, they are too compact, too hard to grab and too tenacious to stop, and they have a very strong bite. And of course then there's the fact that my dog has been attacked seriously by a staffy/bully type 3 times now, when he hasn't had serious run ins with any other breed (and as I've said before, he spends a lot of time with new dogs at new dog parks - so plenty of opportunities). So that's why I'm prejudiced, that's why I don't let my dog play with other staffies unless I know them really really well and yeah, when I see one off-lead, I react quite differently to how I do with any other breed.

If someone on this thread, the owner of Angel or any of the other staffies requested a play date, I wouldn't hesitate, because I am confident that in the right hands, these dogs can be beautiful (I have after all seen lovely staffies for myself). But if I don't know the dog, I am more scared if it happens to be a staffy/bully type.

so you think all breeds behave in the same way? all breeds are likely to react to a threat or another dog in the same way?

Dogs bred for different purposes will react to situations differently.

If you've owned different breeds then you will know that you have to manage some breeds quite differently.

Exactly.

Wow, what did I say that was so moronic!? Proven what point, that because I'm not saying 'ooohhh gosh I'm in love with GSD's and Rotties'?

Get your head out of the clouds and realize that your chosen breeds, along with so many others, have certain drives & desires that need guidance, socialization and training to make sure they don't get them into trouble in a human dominated world.

So defensive.... My chosen breed for the past decade has been mentioned more in this thread than yours. It's not a personal attack on you, your choice of dog or your individual dogs.

This is all true, any breed in the perfect home can be the perfect dog, but that's not what this thread is about. I don't think anyone here has even tried to say that no matter what the conditions, a particular breed will always be bad.

As for myself - one of the people prejudiced against staffies, my argument is merely that whether it's because staffies are a harder breed to raise correctly, or because they attract the wrong sorts of owners in the first place (or indeed a combination), a solid percentage of the staffies/bully cross types are dangerous to other dogs. As the owner of a large male doberman, I am not scared of most dogs, firstly because I know and have seen that my dog has no desire to fight and secondly because he's big and strong enough to mean that should for whatever reason he actually end up in a fight against another dog, there's a pretty good chance he'll win (or at least not be destroyed), unless, it's a staffy/bully type. Additionally, it has also been my experience that when dogs do get into a fight, knowledgeable humans can often intervene and reduce the damage done (as I saw with a blue heeler vs a lab fight). But when it's a staffy involved, they are too compact, too hard to grab and too tenacious to stop, and they have a very strong bite. And of course then there's the fact that my dog has been attacked seriously by a staffy/bully type 3 times now, when he hasn't had serious run ins with any other breed (and as I've said before, he spends a lot of time with new dogs at new dog parks - so plenty of opportunities). So that's why I'm prejudiced, that's why I don't let my dog play with other staffies unless I know them really really well and yeah, when I see one off-lead, I react quite differently to how I do with any other breed.

If someone on this thread, the owner of Angel or any of the other staffies requested a play date, I wouldn't hesitate, because I am confident that in the right hands, these dogs can be beautiful (I have after all seen lovely staffies for myself). But if I don't know the dog, I am more scared if it happens to be a staffy/bully type.

Just having a quick look on the DOL main page, there are 548 Stafford breeders registered here which I think tops the charts then along with the amount of Bully cross breeds BYB's etc there is a lot of Staffy type dogs around, many of random cross breedings and probably some registered breeders who don't know what they are producing either, so it doesn't surprise me in a breed that can have a predisposition to dog aggression that in the sheer numbers of them pure bred and cross that dog aggression is seen more often in Bully breeds than perhaps others. I know a couple of very nice Staffords from good experienced breeders that are wonderfully stable dogs and not the slightest bit DA, but especially in the cross breed BYB faction, I doubt these breedings have anything in mind in the progeny traits other than making puppies :(

It's so sad to see so many negative comments about Staffys. I think you all need to meet Angel, she's great with other dogs. I don't go to big off lead parks anymore, but when we did she never got in any trouble. She'd let other dogs steal her ball, no drama. If another dog annoys her she'll tell them off but never fight. I've met plenty of others like her, she's not the exception to the rule.

It is sad and I am sorry,I know a lot of Staffys and crosses and they dont worry me personally but I would never let one near any of my animals.

In our town they are a dime a dozen and the blue ones are sold for enormous profits, some with papers some not they are then mated with other dogs for pigdogs. WHen I worked at the pound for 10 years here the highest percentage of pure bred dogs were Staffys and the crosses were their crosses and the majority were euthanised.

Edited by KOE

Just having a quick look on the DOL main page, there are 548 Stafford breeders registered here which I think tops the charts then along with the amount of Bully cross breeds BYB's etc there is a lot of Staffy type dogs around, many of random cross breedings and probably some registered breeders who don't know what they are producing either, so it doesn't surprise me in a breed that can have a predisposition to dog aggression that in the sheer numbers of them pure bred and cross that dog aggression is seen more often in Bully breeds than perhaps others. I know a couple of very nice Staffords from good experienced breeders that are wonderfully stable dogs and not the slightest bit DA, but especially in the cross breed BYB faction, I doubt these breedings have anything in mind in the progeny traits other than making puppies :(

Yes and I am very happy to accept that there are lots of reasons beyond the dogs' themselves as to why they are involved in as many dog incidents as what they are, but of course that doesn't change the fact that I feel they are typically dogs I need to be quite wary around. The stress isn't worth it, so I just avoid them.

To the people afraid of GSD's and rotties (and probably dobes too), I think your position is quite reasonable. I have met only a handful of dobes that I didn't think would be dangerous off-lead, I remember one the same age as mine who actually attacked his owner over a chicken bone on the street at 6 months old - the owner then hugged him whilst asking me how I got my dog to sit and wait so nicely whilst all this was going on :s and if 99% of the GSD's I saw didn't have such wobbly back legs, and I didn't own such a large dog, I would probably be scared of them too. I do often see them charging smaller dogs in the parks and causing a lot of shrieking and fear. That said, I have yet to see one involved in a real fight (but to be fair, whilst you always see a lot of young shepherds at the park, you very rarely see any adults, so maybe they become more aggressive and their owners just can't handle them anymore, so they don't take them out).

I would never try and say though that dobes and GSD's and rotties don't need more careful and stringent rearing than say my sister's papillons. The problem is people who would struggle to own a papillon can just as easily go and buy a staffy...

Our old Stafford is great with other dogs, he did get into a fight as a 5yo after a dog harassed him until he snapped - I wasn't there - and it did take a little retraining after that, but got back to normal.

Even so I am also wary around Bull breeds and their apparent crosses because most people have no idea what their dog is saying and my breed can be easily injured. I have also owned Dobes and Rotti's and I am also a little warya round them for the same reason.

just to add I have 3 GSD's and I can see why people are afraid of them, they are very imtimidating if you dont know them.

My friend has Dobes and I dont trust them at all as they are also intimidating.

But the worst dog I ever met was a ferocious Chihuahua

I

would never try and say though that dobes and GSD's and rotties don't need more careful and stringent rearing than say my sister's papillons. The problem is people who would struggle to own a papillon can just as easily go and buy a staffy...

One of my GSD's is both DA and HA and I say that although he has been extensively trained and appears ok, the traits are there and I handle him accordingly. The incidents with Bully breeds in the hands of irresponsible owners I think is wider spread because they are available in such large supply and very cheap especially in the cross BYB breedings. BYB GSD's, Rotty's Dobes etc I think have dwindled massively over the years and the type of irresponsible owner attracted to cheap breedings and BYB's seem to be attracted to Bully type dogs I have noticed, but these same people wouldn't spend the money on a quality pure breed and outlay that much money for "a dog" :eek: Even monied people have choked on what I payed for my working line GSD bragging about the Bully X they purchased for $50 from the Trading Post?

Personally I think it's a combination of poor breedings, plentiful supply, cheap costs in the hands of the irresponsible that amplifies the Bully incidents more so than other breeds of similar traits and capabilities.

just to add I have 3 GSD's and I can see why people are afraid of them, they are very imtimidating if you dont know them.

My friend has Dobes and I dont trust them at all as they are also intimidating.

But the worst dog I ever met was a ferocious Chihuahua

Yes, I agree on that point, the most aggressive dogs I have seen with viscious intent have been little dogs too, but given they are easily dispersed with a swift kick due to their size, they rarely rate a mention in the dangerous dog category or considered much of a threat. I am wondering if any little dogs have fallen to a Dangerous dog order by council, I would be interested to know that?

I am prejudice against the 2 legged human variety, esp those who have no consideration for people who's dogs are on lead and are well behaved, whereas their dogs are unruley, unleashed and under no control and allowed to come up and harass another dog.