Breed Prejudice

Sure, I'm more careful with my dogs around often DA breeds. I've seen too many owners that are clueless to their dogs body language.

I'm wary of labs because I've seen too many people that think that they can't be aggressive. I love them as a breed though.

What's a DA Breed??????

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to clarify, although i am not prejudice toward any one breed, i am cautious of any dog off lead as well as on, unless i have spoken with the owner. And even then still cautious, due to Roxys usual bouncy excitement as you can't expect any dog to like a bouncy unknown bully in their face LOL. We don't have any dog parks here or anywhere i have lived so i haven't had the experience of mulitple dogs offlead in one area. And i think i would be very cautious in that situation!! Usually i spot a stray dog on our walk before they get too close and i've always been able to send the dog on its way.

On the topics of staffys, i have never had a problem with them and Roxy has gotten on well with all the staffys she has met. We were walking in the main street the other day and a gorgeous big brindle male staffy followed us all the way up the main street, they had a ball!! I had stopped to look at some kids clothes on a rack outside a shop and the two rough and tumbled (Roxy on lead) on the ground next to me. We even had a little crowd oohing and ahhing over them LOL. He was a beautiful dog, i could have taken him home!

Sure, I'm more careful with my dogs around often DA breeds. I've seen too many owners that are clueless to their dogs body language.

I'm wary of labs because I've seen too many people that think that they can't be aggressive. I love them as a breed though.

Bull breeds have the tendency to be da - not all are, but they were originally bred for fighting - and killing - other dogs.

What's a DA Breed??????

What's a DA Breed??????

Dog Aggressive (?) :)

I don't like Schnauzers....they are cranky little buggers & almost every time without fail, they will lunge at my BC girl, who if she lunges back, gets into trouble, while the Schnauzer owners just ignore & let them get away with it. She was badly lunged at by one when she was a pup, so maybe she gives off vibes when in close proximity. I have been told by a Snzer owner that they ARE cranky little buggers, even to each other & to their owners.

The lovely, gentle GSP I had was attacked by a mini schnauzer - his eyelid was torn and he had lacerations on his face. The owners didn't seem to think it was a problem because Wings (my dog) was so much bigger than Tyson (the schnauzer) they said "oh, Tyson felt threatened" :mad

I get a bit nervous around GSD's.

As a RAAF brat kid, every RAAF christmas party for kids had a working dog display with the 'nasty vicious' GSD attacking the arm pad of the handler. I know they aren't all trained attack/apprehension dogs but they still freak me out a little bit.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've always found GSDs to be nasty cowardly dogs who will slink away from another dog when alone but are happy to attack when in a pack. I think that GSDs' have been very badly bred in recent years to conform to the ridiculous standard - the ones I have seen at shows look positively deformed with that horrible sloping back - how they could possibly be a working dog is beyond me! I haven't seen any working line GSDs though - hopefully they are different!

The other breed of which I am always wary is Staffies - I have been flamed in the past for saying this, but it's the truth - during my years as an Obedience Instructor EVERY SINGLE Staffy I saw was dog aggressive.

I keep my dogs away from dogs of breeds that I believe have a general predisposition to fight, unless I know the individual dog well and that it isn't a danger. I also give a wide berth to one other common breed that has attacked us in the past, and which seems to have quite a few individuals with unreliable temperament. If I didn't use what I have learnt about those breeds to keep my own dogs safe, more fool me.

Gotta say I'm a little shocked that dog people would say...Dog Aggressive Breed...how does that help with BSL. How do you determine what breeds are DA in the first place? Cos as has been mentioned before we have seen a fair few SWF's that have DA tendencies...okay they aren't a breed...so because they aren't a 'breed' they can't therefore be a DA breed? Even though I've seen a fair few of them be quite aggressive towards other dogs. That would kind of scew the stats a bit.

Don't want to way lay the thread...but...*shaking head in consternation*...

i am wary of anything bigger then my knees. Ran into a lady walking a rottie at a show in the dark. Caught me by surprise, scared me silly. I was petrified, the rottie owner said her dog was ok, that it was old. Honestly I dont care if it has no teeth. Its a large dog sniffing me when I am terrified. People should show some consideration for others. Not every one likes every single dog they come across.

Gotta say I'm a little shocked that dog people would say...Dog Aggressive Breed...how does that help with BSL.

My first concern is the welfare of my dogs. There are plenty of sensible and knowledgable dog folk who will identify their most beloved breeds as being frequently inclined to dog aggression. I'll take that honesty and insight over facile political correctness anyday, sorry if that shocks.

Edited by Diva

Gotta say I'm a little shocked that dog people would say...Dog Aggressive Breed...how does that help with BSL. How do you determine what breeds are DA in the first place? Cos as has been mentioned before we have seen a fair few SWF's that have DA tendencies...okay they aren't a breed...so because they aren't a 'breed' they can't therefore be a DA breed? Even though I've seen a fair few of them be quite aggressive towards other dogs. That would kind of scew the stats a bit.

I would be willing to bet that the Staffies I've seen may very well be BYB dogs BUT it is a fact that every single one I ever encountered was Dog Aggressive. The same goes for SWFs - the big money-maker for BYBs :mad I think it makes a good case for only registered breeders who health & temperament test their dogs, being able to breed dogs! I would not for a minute support BSL but would LOVE to rid the world of backyard breeders & puppy farms.

Edited by poodlemum

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've always found GSDs to be nasty cowardly dogs who will slink away from another dog when alone but are happy to attack when in a pack. I think that GSDs' have been very badly bred in recent years to conform to the ridiculous standard - the ones I have seen at shows look positively deformed with that horrible sloping back - how they could possibly be a working dog is beyond me! I haven't seen any working line GSDs though - hopefully they are different!

The other breed of which I am always wary is Staffies - I have been flamed in the past for saying this, but it's the truth - during my years as an Obedience Instructor EVERY SINGLE Staffy I saw was dog aggressive.

My GSD is the most social of all my dogs :laugh: The most tolerant and the most submissive around other dogs. Big dorky boofhead that he is!

I am more cautious around some breeds but I don't think it's breed prejudice.

I know that my dogs aren't keen on strange Border Collies. Having observed a few Sighthound reactions to hard eyes and staring, I've theorised that it's the "eye" that is the issue. So I will take more care around them, even tho' I think they are lovely dogs.

Do I have breed prejudice? Well, if I see an offleash Akita running around having escaped its crate I will have a different reaction to seeing an offleash Pom and a different reaction again to seeing an offleash Whippet. I'm factoring in what I know about the likelihood that the dog will either eat or be eaten by my dog. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Poms, or Akitas, or Salukis for that matter - it just means, as PF says, that it pays to be a bit smart about breed characteristics.

My GSD is the most social of all my dogs :laugh: The most tolerant and the most submissive around other dogs. Big dorky boofhead that he is!

Is he show or working line?

Gotta say I'm a little shocked that dog people would say...Dog Aggressive Breed...how does that help with BSL.

My first concern is the welfare of my dogs. There are plenty of sensible and knowledgable dog folk who will identify their most beloved breeds as being frequently inclined to dog aggression. I'll take that honesty and insight over facile political correctness anyday, sorry if that shocks.

For what it's worth, I own a breed that isn't dog aggressive but is triggered by small running prey, and I agree with Diva. If a toy breed owner saw a bunch of Salukis running free in a paddock and decided not to put their dog in the same area, I would call them smart, not prejudiced.

He is working line (not registered though). Unfortunately he has some health problems (allergies/skin problems) so we didn't quite make it in obedience competition as he is very itchy and doesn't concentrate very well, but he is a sweet dog and a lovely pet (apart from the skin) - very smoochy, would lean on the judge for pats for SFE. He wouldn't cut it as a working dog though.

Is he show or working line?

Oh please tell me you're not going to suggest that makes a difference in this case?!

I do have an issue with Staffies, but I do think it's founded where I live because there are a lot of rough bogans in my area who tend to keep them. If I was in a better area Staffies wouldn't be a problem as I've met some beautiful dogs that have been kept by lovely families. It's a real shame that rough men are attracted to them moreso than other breeds.

Huh? It is naive to think all dogs ate the same. If all dog owners understood their breed charactaristics and managed the accordingly their would be far fewer aggressive incidents and parks would be s lot safer. The most anti bsl people will tell you this. Caesar Milan - who loves and owns pitbulls- talks about their da tendencies and how they need to be managed. A whippets tendencies are different to a gsd's. If all breeds are the same we should get rod of most of them and have one dog available in small, medium and large

Don't really have any breed biases.

I do get a little bit nervous when I see powerful breeds like amstaffs, rotties and shepherds pulling like a freight train on a leash that I could use to floss my teeth.

I've got nothing against those breeds, seeing the walking nicely with their owners and I wouldn't have a problem.

Why would you be shocked? There are breeds that were originally developed to fight other dogs and breeds originally developed to defend livestock from wolves. It's a bit of a no brainer IMO that you'd see a higher incidence of dog aggression from such breeds. Then you can add dogs with very high prey drive that may transfer that drive onto small dogs.

BSL has nothing to do with dog aggression. It was about protecting people. Its a crock of shite anyway.

It's not prejudice to be wary of some breeds until you know the individual dog. It IS prejudice to think all dogs of some breeds will have issues with others. It is also prejudice (not to mention rather dangerous) to conclude all dogs of other breeds WON'T have issues with others.