Breed Prejudice

I am prejudice against the 2 legged human variety, esp those who have no consideration for people who's dogs are on lead and are well behaved, whereas their dogs are unruley, unleashed and under no control and allowed to come up and harass another dog.

Me too, one of my greatest prejudices :D

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GSDS, Dobes and Rotties have all been used by police/security services which is probably why people are scared of them.

Their intimidating looks and affinity for bitework is one of the reasons they are used, and people should be wary of them when they are used for these purposes.

You wouldn't use a SWF or lab or golden for police dog work (I mean bitework not drug sniffing etc) as if people would take them seriously :laugh:

I don't like Bull terriers.

Many years ago I was the opposite,I used to like their chunky looks and their piggy little eyes. So I went out and got one. He was 8 weeks old and pure white with a brindle patch over one eye. I did all the right things, obedience training, socializing with other dogs, people and my 3 cats, lots of exercise and de-sexing him. But one day he went nuts at little girl who came to my place selling raffle tickets, she was only about 8 or 9 years old, if he wasn't tied up on a chain that day I'm sure he would have killed her. Then a few weeks later I observed him from my kitchen window trying and nearly succeeding to kill my cat who he was brought up with. Only the cats agility, and quick wits saved his life. He wasn't just playing, he meant business for sure. After that I re-homed him. Don't worry the new owner new what he was taking on...and he was just the type to own a Bully. I will never get another and I don't trust any of them anymore.

Don't be offended if you have bullys, I'm sure there are some nice ones out there, but this was my experience.

And I know of some Sharpei cross Staffie cross Pit Bulls for sale.....what a lethal combination. Some people should not be allowed to breed dogs!

I don't like Bull terriers.

Many years ago I was the opposite,I used to like their chunky looks and their piggy little eyes. So I went out and got one. He was 8 weeks old and pure white with a brindle patch over one eye. I did all the right things, obedience training, socializing with other dogs, people and my 3 cats, lots of exercise and de-sexing him. But one day he went nuts at little girl who came to my place selling raffle tickets, she was only about 8 or 9 years old, if he wasn't tied up on a chain that day I'm sure he would have killed her. Then a few weeks later I observed him from my kitchen window trying and nearly succeeding to kill my cat who he was brought up with. Only the cats agility, and quick wits saved his life. He wasn't just playing, he meant business for sure. After that I re-homed him. Don't worry the new owner new what he was taking on...and he was just the type to own a Bully. I will never get another and I don't trust any of them anymore.

Don't be offended if you have bullys, I'm sure there are some nice ones out there, but this was my experience.

And I know of some Sharpei cross Staffie cross Pit Bulls for sale.....what a lethal combination. Some people should not be allowed to breed dogs!

I posted this on this thread yesterday

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

"

Took my 13 week old BC puppy to the beach market today. I was being very careful with him as he is probably now going through his first "fear" period. While I was talking to a stallholder, a massive Bull Terrier x, offlead, came running up to him. He was probably friendly, but I couldn't take that chance & quickly picked my puppy up. But what sort of people let these type of dogs (or any dog, for that matter) raom around markets offlead & unsupervised "

I'm telling you, I almost s#*#t myself...I have never seen a bully so BIG & he was going to eat my little boy :eek:

just to add I have 3 GSD's and I can see why people are afraid of them, they are very imtimidating if you dont know them.

My friend has Dobes and I dont trust them at all as they are also intimidating.

But the worst dog I ever met was a ferocious Chihuahua

Yes, I agree on that point, the most aggressive dogs I have seen with viscious intent have been little dogs too, but given they are easily dispersed with a swift kick due to their size, they rarely rate a mention in the dangerous dog category or considered much of a threat. I am wondering if any little dogs have fallen to a Dangerous dog order by council, I would be interested to know that?

interesting known fact that there are swf as dd's

I don’t have any prejudice against any breed as such but am prejudiced against some owners who display a prejudice against my dobes :laugh:

Every time a new member joins our obedience club I note the majority have preconceived ideas of my breed, but after a few weeks their attitude normally change. Of course there are some people whose opinion can never be changed.

The breeds in the club that do display the most problems are also generally the most popular, that being german shephards, border collies, labs, golden retreivers, and one tibetan mastiff. I would also add a number of smaller breeds (and xbreeds) that I would presume receive no training outside the weekly class.

Serious though, many owners are simply should not own their chosen breed in that they don't understand or fulfill their dogs requirements.

If someone on this thread, the owner of Angel or any of the other staffies requested a play date, I wouldn't hesitate, because I am confident that in the right hands, these dogs can be beautiful (I have after all seen lovely staffies for myself).

I would, because one of my dogs doesn't really like the boisterous play style I often see in staffy type dogs, he is prone to 'speaking' too quietly to them, and he is prone to then blowing up in their faces when they don't pay attention to what he's saying, and they are prone to firing up over that. In my mind it's not a prejudice, it's me managing my dog for his safety according to my experiences and risk assessments. Some staffies don't play too rough, some don't fail to notice his back off signals, and some are quite tolerant of outspoken behaviour. But many are not, and it behooves me to err on the side of caution and avoid trouble where it might exist. That's why we can have fun at dog parks.

This morning Erik was playing with one of his oldest canine friends, who is a little, entire, BYB female staffy. She was shouldering him and he was wrestling with her and it was very physical and Erik was being pretty obnoxious. I let them play for a good 15 minutes, and that's because they have known each other all their lives. Erik doesn't mind her jostling or biting him and she is tolerant of him barking in her face. It doesn't really matter that she's BYB or that she's a staffy or that her owner is clueless about dog behaviour. It matters that she and E know each other and they trust each other, therefore I am cool with them playing together as long as they like. I am not cool with E playing for extended periods with a dog he dosen't know that well that is likely to push him too far and then explode at him when he snaps. I am cool with him getting to know said dog over a number of short encounters where we move on well before problems may arise. I don't think that's prejudiced. I think that's cautious management, and the reason why I can count the fights Erik has got into on one hand with fingers to spare.

I don’t have any prejudice against any breed as such but am prejudiced against some owners who display a prejudice against my dobes :laugh:

Every time a new member joins our obedience club I note the majority have preconceived ideas of my breed, but after a few weeks their attitude normally change. Of course there are some people whose opinion can never be changed.

The breeds in the club that do display the most problems are also generally the most popular, that being german shephards, border collies, labs, golden retreivers, and one tibetan mastiff. I would also add a number of smaller breeds (and xbreeds) that I would presume receive no training outside the weekly class.

Serious though, many owners are simply should not own their chosen breed in that they don't understand or fulfill their dogs requirements.

Having been owned by a Dobe myself for 10 yrs, I know exactly how you feel. :( I wish I had a dollar for every time some moron told me Dobes turn on you and they are vicious. My girl was brown and at the vets people would pat her and I would say - do you know your patting a Dobermann and every time people would pull their hands away in fear. :mad Breed Prejudice is every where even on DOL. :mad

Dobe's are fairly watered down these days and there are very few lines that have the defence and fighting drives essential for training in working roles, but with breeds that do have defensive traits, all it takes is a breeding a bit short on nerve with a bit too much defence drive and you easily have a reactive dog who can bite.

My breed are GSD's and have two of them, one of excellent temperament and one not so good, but there is no way I could demonstrate my better dog to people scared of GSD's as an example how nice they are patting him when if the same people tried to pat my not so good dog he would try and take their hand off?. Not all GSD's have a well balanced temperament as much as I love the breed, I could never condemn anyone or feel prejudice towards someone who is wary of them, not all GSD's are the result of perfect breedings or controlled and managed effectively by every owner and some unfortunately need to be met with caution sad but true.

Take time to read my first post slowly, as English may not be your first language. :) What makes you an expert on GSD's and Rotties, let me guess you own a swf. I bet your statements are from the book Dogs for Dummies. :rofl:

No, born and bred Aussie, with over a decade experience with Aust. Cattle Dogs ;) but what's that to you hey?! :laugh:

No need to try and talk sense to you. Apparently people are morons if they decide to not trust a certain breed, even if that breed had frightened them on numerous occasions.

Oh, and I never once said GSDs and Rottie's were aggressive breeds, I just commented that people who cannot acknowledge that their chosen breeds, without training, can get into more trouble than some others are the slightly delusional ones ;)

Take time to read my first post slowly, as English may not be your first language. :) What makes you an expert on GSD's and Rotties, let me guess you own a swf. I bet your statements are from the book Dogs for Dummies. :rofl:

No, born and bred Aussie, with over a decade experience with Aust. Cattle Dogs ;) but what's that to you hey?! :laugh:

No need to try and talk sense to you. Apparently people are morons if they decide to not trust a certain breed, even if that breed had frightened them on numerous occasions.

Oh, and I never once said GSDs and Rottie's were aggressive breeds, I just commented that people who cannot acknowledge that their chosen breeds, without training, can get into more trouble than some others are the slightly delusional ones ;)

I am absolutely GOBSMACKED at the rudeness of Tarope - I hope someone has reported it. Tarope, resorting to such nastiness only makes YOU look bad.

Dobe's are fairly watered down these days and there are very few lines that have the defence and fighting drives essential for training in working roles, but with breeds that do have defensive traits, all it takes is a breeding a bit short on nerve with a bit too much defence drive and you easily have a reactive dog who can bite.

My breed are GSD's and have two of them, one of excellent temperament and one not so good, but there is no way I could demonstrate my better dog to people scared of GSD's as an example how nice they are patting him when if the same people tried to pat my not so good dog he would try and take their hand off?. Not all GSD's have a well balanced temperament as much as I love the breed, I could never condemn anyone or feel prejudice towards someone who is wary of them, not all GSD's are the result of perfect breedings or controlled and managed effectively by every owner and some unfortunately need to be met with caution sad but true.

It isn’t so much that dobes working ability should be in question but more to the point German shepherds are easier to handle.

German Shepherds minds are less independent in their problem solving abilities and like border collies work on principal of repetition. It is because of this reliability that GS & labs are used by various agencies.

It is well proven that dobermanns have the habit of “thinking outside the box”. This is why they aren’t used as much these days in a working capacity.

That is extremely offensive and rude.

It's so sad to see so many negative comments about Staffys. I think you all need to meet Angel, she's great with other dogs. I don't go to big off lead parks anymore, but when we did she never got in any trouble. She'd let other dogs steal her ball, no drama. If another dog annoys her she'll tell them off but never fight. I've met plenty of others like her, she's not the exception to the rule.

I can attest to Angel being a lovely dog. :thumbsup:

Even when Evie, (my DA Staffy X) bit her she didnt arc up. :)

But Ruth, you must acknowledge that whilst there are many more equally lovely staffies, there are also a lot that do not tolerate other dogs. And the damage a staffy can do in a serious fight is pretty extreme. I'd certainly not be backing the other dog.

I'd be happy for Honey to play with any staffy that I felt comfortable with- I completely trust your judgement and control of your dogs- but an unknown one in the street/park? Nuh uh.

That also goes for many other unknown dogs/breeds.

It's so sad to see so many negative comments about Staffys. I think you all need to meet Angel, she's great with other dogs. I don't go to big off lead parks anymore, but when we did she never got in any trouble. She'd let other dogs steal her ball, no drama. If another dog annoys her she'll tell them off but never fight. I've met plenty of others like her, she's not the exception to the rule.

I can attest to Angel being a lovely dog. :thumbsup:

Even when Evie, (my DA Staffy X) bit her she didnt arc up. :)

But Ruth, you must acknowledge that whilst there are many more equally lovely staffies, there are also a lot that do not tolerate other dogs. And the damage a staffy can do in a serious fight is pretty extreme. I'd certainly not be backing the other dog.

I'd be happy for Honey to play with any staffy that I felt comfortable with- I completely trust your judgement and control of your dogs- but an unknown one in the street/park? Nuh uh.

That also goes for many other unknown dogs/breeds.

I agree. I would be 100% happy for my guys to play with Ruths dogs (which needs to happen sometime soon BTW! Especially with the new foster man ;D!) but that wouldn't change the wariness I feel when I see a random offleash staffy in a dog park somewhere.

That is extremely offensive and rude.

It's ok, some people fail to be pragmatic, or it could be the chip on the shoulder getting him/ her down.

I could be cheeky and say this could be an example of a personality type that wants to own 'impressive' dogs ;) But I won't. :)

While I've met some extremely dog aggressive dogs (my own among them), i've got to admit that they've been all over the shop breed-wise. The two dogs that have caused Zero the most trouble were a border collie (who escaped it's yard 3 times to attack Z) and a standard poodle x labrador. None of the breeds tend to get much of a comment when I say that - people tend to focus on the bull breeds and the SWFs. I find a come up against breed prejudice a whole lot more with Zero (you know, one of those wolf-dogs) than my friends with other breeds though and my parents used to come up against a lot when we had our dobe girl too.

I met and photographed the most beautiful amstaff last weekend - truely the most gorgeous temprement I've ever seen in a dog. She was curious about everything but not pushy and not the least bit shy. If more people got to see an Amstaff like that, there would be a lot less breed prejudice I'm sure.

Prejudice and wariness are two different things but often mis interpreted and the same thing. I am wary of breeds in an off leash roaming situation that can be predisposed with fighting drive coupled with nerve weakness, GSD's, Bull breeds, Rottweilers, Akitas, Dobermann, Cattle dogs to name a few, but I am not breed prejudice or dislike them, quite the opposite infact. It's breeds that can stand up to pressure if they are short on nerve and will fight instead of flight are the breeds I am most wary of in a stranger situation which I don't think wariness should be taken for prejudice, to me they are different meanings.