Photography Under Sufference....

redangel

Yesterday I was taking photos in a very damp wetlands setting. Had to prop myself in a very awkward position to get a shot...composed the shot, refocused, slowly went to put the shutter down....and a darn mossie decided he was going to make breakfast of my trigger (shutter) finger. I managed to get the shot all while aware this little B&%!#@y insect was going for his life!

Made me think that many of you have taken photos 'under sufference...sharing helps!

Lying flat on my back on crushed coral to take a photo of a sea eagle who decided to hover right above me - got a sharp shot though so that's all that matters. Worth some discomfort.

Earlier this year I waded in up to my waist in the sea with my camera around my neck to get a photo looking back to the island we were staying on. It was a lagoon, so the water was dead calm with a sandy bottom. It wasn't the sensible thing to do as if I lost my footing, it would have been goodbye to my DSLR and an expensive wide angle lens.

eta: I was chased by an inquisitive seal when taking photos of them near a waterfall in NZ. I wasn't worried about the seal approaching me, he was after my tripod and camera! I had to grab my tripod and scramble over wet rocks. My avatar is a photo of sharks I took while snorkelling, I swam up to them and couldn't fit them all in the shot (just a point and shoot). I looked behind me and was surrounded by a lot of them and more approaching, lol. Fortunately they are used to snorkellers and divers

Forgot to add the huge bruises on shins and seasickness from being banged up against various hard objects in a swell on a boat.

Edited by Ripley

I've had to do it heaps of times :) once I had to climb fairly high to get a decent shot... Lol. When I was away a few years ago I spotted a kangaroo. He was about 20m from me. He nearly went for me lol. Thankfully I managed to run away and get a photo on top of a roof/ladder! I never got a decent pic of him. :(

And a few years ago I spotted a gorgeous owl over the fence in a neighbors tree. I had to climb a ladder and lean on the fence :laugh: I got a wonderful pic, but my camera broke a few days later before I managed to upload it :(

Edited by dogfan

Being a live music photographer, yes. I get stuff thrown at me by the crowd behind me, musicians in front (sometimes on purpose I'm sure) Security step on me, other photos step on me, trip over gear/cables, audience members jumping the barrier...

All the time. If I don't come back with a little blood and/or bruising, I probably haven't done all I could :D

And I fell off a wall onto concrete once - saved the camera, hurted my head.

The hardest I think for me was at a skateboard park, half way up a slope, befure I went to shoot I had worked out how to save the camera when I fell LOL. Luckily I didn't fall - with skate parks being concrete and all

Edited by helen

Standing out in the rain, being out in the rain last March when that hailstorm hit Melb (that was fun ...not) though at least got under cover as the marbles started pelting and before the golf balls.

Being out in the rain and wind for hours at horse events.

Have bugs & flys land/crwl on you when taking pics of a race finish. Copping a fly to the eye at the finish of a Cox Plate (got the pics though).

Standing out in 42 degree weather to take photos all day with even the shade not all that effective.

I think probably the worst for me personally was when we went unto the Barrington Forrest photographing waterfalls standing on a slippery slope in the rain with my left arm looped around a tree to anchor me while being munched on by some very enthusiastic leeches I got the shot I wanted though. Thought it was a good shot at the time I look back now though and think I couldve done better :laugh: not rushing out for a reshoot though!