The Pitfalls Of Having Smart Dogs.

Ker

Ker - I have big solid wooden door stoppers, or large concrete garden 'animal' door stoppers - they still get chewed but it takes a lot to get through em and usually the lappie gives up (and goes looking for treasure elsewhere!).

I've given up counting the different things my lot have stolen. Chances are, if an item is not where you left it, a Lappie is responsible!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What a tonic for a boring friday at work, I just loove all the clever/sneaky/funny dogs.

Marlin used to have a thing for dirty socks but seems to have grown out of that, her latest game is hiding behind things and jumping out at me, or doing the BC stalking/herding me on her walk. The only thing I ever find in my bed is a big hairy dog, why do they have to take up the whole bed??

I have a 9mth old Wei and I arrived home one night to what looked like a murder scene.

He had gotten into my uniball red pens (very inky) and eaten them. The walls were red, my bedroom door was red the tiles were red and my poor wee bichon frieze was pink!!!

Monty was covered in ink and there was paw prints throughout the house.

Hubby was fuming. But alli could do was laugh - I call this art movement "escapism" hehe 

I just come home from shopping and my darluing shepherds are in the front yard, the side gate is kept padlocked but they have worked out if you pull up th epin and push the lock may be locked but the gate will open. Lucky I have a front fence.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What a tonic for a boring friday at work, I just loove all the clever/sneaky/funny dogs.

Marlin used to have a thing for dirty socks but seems to have grown out of that, her latest game is hiding behind things and jumping out at me, or doing the BC stalking/herding me on her walk. The only thing I ever find in my bed is a big hairy dog, why do they have to take up the whole bed??

Your 'Marlin' is sooo cute BCPuppy !!! Very nice looking little guy. My BC ,Sonny, used to stalk/eye me as well when he was younger, funny isn't it?

Also was a very keen gardener, his speciality the was indoor plants in our lounge room, liked to bring them to use while we were watching T.V at night

minus the pot of course with a big grin all over his very cute/dirty face. :p :rofl:

Edited by BC Crazy

Friend on a US breed board was chuckling over her smart pug. Friend doesn't get to sit down on the couch often, but when it's DVD movie time she does and that is lap snuggling time. Normally pug sits on her lap and rat terrier snuggles next to her hubby.

So the other day she sits down to watch a movie and the rat terrier jumps up and settles on her lap. Pug is disgruntled, room is made for her too, but nope, she won't come.

Pug finds a tennis ball, takes it to the top of the recliner next to the couch and drops it so that it rolls past the couch. Rat terrier, who is ball obessed, jumps off lap and races after it.

Quick as a flash, the Pug is on my friends lap, snug and very smug!

My stumpy tail cattle dog X Jessie has pulled this trick too...she is not ball mad but my kelpie X Tilly is, so if she wants Tilly off the lounge she will go and get a ball and bring it over. Tilly then jumps off the lounge super excited and Jessie drops the ball and gets up on the lounge to snuggle with my folks!

Tilly is pretty clever too...she takes me to the heater when she's cold first thing in the morning. She does this little 'dance' in front of the gas heater and when I switch it on she stares at the bottom with her tail wagging until the heat starts coming out, then she's happy as!

I've posted about this before, but I was sitting down eating breakfast when Daisy ran off into the next room doing her 'serious' bark. I went to see what she was barking at and to quieten her down when she ran back into the dining room and stole my toast off the plate - she created a diversion so I'd get up and leave the table so she could run back to eat my breakfast!

The worst thing is that this wasn't the first time she had done this, but it was the first time I realised what she was doing :laugh::eek:

she created a diversion so I'd get up and leave the table so she could run back to eat my breakfast

Backchaining for re-inforcement - now how do we use that for our advantage (evil).

My EH isn't that great at back chaining. Yet. She's got a couple worked out. Ie demand to be let out for potty then steal the warm spot on the bed, athough this morning - she opted for her own bed - I got a new one for her that has high sides and would be warmer.

And the other thing she does is pretend she wants to go play with that dog there, bewdy I think, she'll do some running and sleep well when we get home. But as soon as I let her off - despite all her carry on greeting and play bowing at the other dog - she goes sniff - somewhere else. Leaving one or more disappointed dogs and me going I've been conned again.

Billie tried to take a random breath test today...not so much smart as plain embarrassing. :o

Stopped at a road closure RBT. Billie is in the back seat with her head poking out the bottom corner of my window (small hatchback) hoping someone will pat her while we wait. Policeman jokingly holds the machine in her direction and says 'we'd best do you first, you seem very jolly for a Sunday afternoon' so she stuck her head out further and licked the tube. The stunned look on his face was a good match for my sudden beetroot impression. When he composed himself, he declared a 'preliminary failure for stinky breath' and instructed me to drive her home immediately. Another policeman laughing from the sidelines had to remind him to test me.

Billie tried to take a random breath test today...not so much smart as plain embarrassing. :o

Stopped at a road closure RBT. Billie is in the back seat with her head poking out the bottom corner of my window (small hatchback) hoping someone will pat her while we wait. Policeman jokingly holds the machine in her direction and says 'we'd best do you first, you seem very jolly for a Sunday afternoon' so she stuck her head out further and licked the tube. The stunned look on his face was a good match for my sudden beetroot impression. When he composed himself, he declared a 'preliminary failure for stinky breath' and instructed me to drive her home immediately. Another policeman laughing from the sidelines had to remind him to test me.

Too funny :rofl:

Jessie (stumpy tail cattle dog X) was playing mind games with my brother's kelpie Rusty this morning :laugh: . My brother recently moved in with Rusty and for a long while Rusty has not liked Jessie although he's gotten a lot better since living with her. Jessie takes very little notice of him and she has kind of become the top dog.

Rusty is obsessed with tennis balls, so Jessie took his tennis ball today and she layed down next to it in front of the heater and gave Rusty this smug look like "what are you going to do about it?" then she calmly ignored him when he layed down and started barking and crying at her for his ball.

Haha this is a great thread, and a very enjoyable read.

I love my dog beyond all ridiculousness, but there's no denying that he's a cunning little "insert assortment of expletitives".

Some examples: he'll be playing with an ilicit item in the backyard and thinks we don't know. We call him, he stashes his item in his little hidey spot in the bushes and then comes running.

He is playing with one of his toys like a good boy, when suddenly he sees something he would much rather be chewing (eg remote, a shoe etc). Moves his toy right next to desired but forbidden item, and then 'somehow' ends up chewing them both...

My partner gives him an order he doesn't fancy - eg go outside because we're about to leave. Sad face on, runs to me and hides behind me - even though I always support my partner's orders (even if I disagree with them).

• 4 weeks later...

A beautiful doberman I used to have didnt like it when we were too busy on the day, to play with her. So she will neatly clear a 6 ft fence, run around to the front door, sit on the porch and press the doorbell with her nose. I swear she was grinning when we answered the door

One way of getting our attention :D :D :D

Her son used to pick up his dinner dish and walk up the back steps and consistently bash it on the door to get our attention also.

Edited by kazwa