Snakes On The Move In Se Qld

oakway

Even though it is early June I have 2 definite sightings of snakes.

One in a garden in Harrisville and the other a sighting by me on the road into Rosewood just near SES building.

So keep an eye out and be careful.

Even though it is early June I have 2 definite sightings of snakes.

One in a garden in Harrisville and the other a sighting by me on the road into Rosewood just near SES building.

So keep an eye out and be careful.

What kind of self respecting snake is on the move in this kind of weather? :eek: . Unless they have been disturbed by excess water or something.

we have had two red bellied blacks in the last month. one you could see the pattern in the frost/dew on the ground when going out to hang washing out, very distinctive s pattern on the ground.

researched into red bellied blacks, we now like them, cause they are not deadly venomous, they are dangerous venomous, only one death recorded from 60 years ago or something like that, and it was a toddler.

red bellied blacks also chase and keep eastern browns off your property (apparantly) and there is no way you would want the eastern browns hanging around.

The info is from the nsw wires group

we have had two red bellied blacks in the last month. one you could see the pattern in the frost/dew on the ground when going out to hang washing out, very distinctive s pattern on the ground.

researched into red bellied blacks, we now like them, cause they are not deadly venomous, they are dangerous venomous, only one death recorded from 60 years ago or something like that, and it was a toddler.

red bellied blacks also chase and keep eastern browns off your property (apparantly) and there is no way you would want the eastern browns hanging around.

Red Bellied Blacks are still deadly to dogs. If you see them bitten then you might have time for treatment but if you don't see it the dog can be dead before you know what happened.

Sorry I do not agree with Wires have seen with my own eyes and had both in my yard at once :eek: the Black was not trying to get the brown off the property.

both were after the pigeons .

Just saw a red belly snake on the side of the road near Glenreagh Nth. NSW. Maybe they are all coming out of their holes because of the flood last week. Having blacks around will not guarantee you will not get browns, but the blacks eat the young browns thus reducing the numbers. In areas where you get cane toads, the blacks are dying out from eating the toads & being taken over by the browns.

I don't like any snakes, but the blacks are fairly non agressive, where the browns will cross the road to have a go at you :eek: Unfortunately some dogs like to chase them & thats how they get bitten.

All the more reason not to listen to the shit WIRES volunteers tell people. Red Bellies ARE deadly if your dog gets envenomated. And they do NOT keep Browns off your property.

sorry but that sort of misinformation is frigging dangerous. Black snakes can kill a dog very quickly if they're not immediately given anti venom.

My breeder lost her Jack Russell girl last week to a red belly near Penrith NSW. Snake had entered house yard, and being a JRT she killed the 5ft snake but was bitten in the process.

She came home from work to find her still alive but foaming blood from the mouth, sadly she didn't make it.

We see snakes all year round here in the Burnett region,Qld local vets tell me the snakes never really hibenate here, one just doesn't see as many. I almost fell over an eastern brown one July afternoon, I thanked my lucky stars he was slower than usual which I put down to the freezing cold day. My father, on old bushie out Balranald way used to always say that if the daytime temperature reaches 24 or 25C the snakes will be about.

I don't like any snakes, but the blacks are fairly non agressive, where the browns will cross the road to have a go at you :eek:

That is not true. :rolleyes: If you've had a brown cross the road to have a go at you it was a freak occurrence. I've seen plenty of them over the years and they are ALWAYS heading away from me at a speed that sure looks like fleeing. They are nervous critters, though, and if you get too close they can be unpredictable. I have nearly trodden on them and I've never had one have a go at me. The only snake I've ever had head towards me was a red belly and it was just passing through while I stood around watching it. I don't think it even knew I was there. They don't see that well.

It's also not true that red bellies keep browns away, as has already been noted. Red bellies tend to eat amphibians and reptiles and that includes small snakes, but browns will eat anything at all, which also includes small snakes. Lots of things eat small snakes. Including bigger snakes of the same species.