Why Is She Being Nasty About My Tenterfield Terrier

Harrybegood

I've had a great little TT since he was 14 months old. He was traumitised as a young dog and is still frightened of strangers but he has lots of great friends (people and dogs), including Homecare staff. He has a little yard with a gate that he uses sometimes. I'm always nearby. However a Homecare cleaner came through the gate twice without letting me know and she accused the dog of threatening her and would report him. The Supervisor came next day to see this 'dangerous dog', no problem. But I'm afraid this lady will still come in without telling me - he hates her and he night nip her although he's never bitten anyone before. Any advice?

Edited by Harrybegood

Can't you ask the supervisor for this person NOT to come to your house?

She has refused to follow your directions and her presence or impending presence obviously upsets you.

If not I would make it clear in writing before any incidence occurs that this woman has shown disregard for your directions and has shown a threatening attitude to your dog. Maybe get other staff to write that they have no problems with your dog.

We have had a few cleaners here and never had a problem with the dogs. We got this particular one and my chihuahua wanted to bite her (extremely unusual for him), we then had a phone call to say lock the dogs out. We changed cleaners and the new one says leave them in and the dogs all like her. Maybe it is just that one cleaner and you could always ask if they can send someone else.

Agree - discuss the situation with the supervisor. Make a diary of all the events and any conversations (including any directions you give to the cleaner about not coming without informing you first and not coming through the yard etc) too so you have a record. Advise the supervisor that you are uncomfortable with this person in your home and why, and see if something can be worked out. Make a record of the discussion with the supervisor too.

Even if it is Homecare, you have the final say who comes into your house. In the long run it may be better to be assertive and insist on a different worker. By all means, padlock the gate, I never leave my gates unpadlocked, regardless.

If you don't feel strong enough to refuse the worker, insist on a protocol of the worker phoning before they arrive. If it's the problem lady, you can leave the gate locked; if it's one of the Ok ones, unlock the gate.

If you can't manage locking and unlocking the gate, get a combination lock, and only give out the combination to the workers you trust. The problem lady will have to wait at the front door until she learns to behave.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Whippetsmum

I agree with Whippetsmumn. The problem is now, this lady may present as defensive or even hostile towards an otherwise tractable dog and unfortunately it may lead to problems (I hope you are keeping a written record of this).

The Homecare person would be carrying a mobile, why can't she simply notify you when she is five minutes eg, from your place to secure your dog?

This has been poorly managed by the Homecare cleaner, communication obviously not her strong point and personally speaking I probably would be more comfortable with somebody that could just 'talk' to me about any concerns.

Write to the supervisor and advise them that that worker is not to return to your property under any circumstances. She has offended you and ignored instructions not to open the gate or to enter the yard where the dog is. Be quite explicit in your instruction that she is not to return to your home at all for any reason.

I wouldn't back down an inch. Think about why this woman decided to report your dog rather than just keep away from the dog or to request to work at a different home. That is really nasty and I would not trust her not to hurt the dog or try something else when she finds her 'report' has not brought any action.

Keep a record of all the incidents, and keep them up your sleeve to pull out and take further should the supervisor not respect your wishes.

I work for a pathology company, and often do home visits for those who can't go out to have their blood test done, one of the rules for patients is that if they have a dog, the dog must be locked up prior to us being let in the house, we make allowances for the time this takes, especially considering most of our patients are elderly and move slowly. This rule is often ignored, and TBH most of our patients have gorgeous dogs, so it doesn't worry us.

We often have to let ourselves in someones backyard in order to get into their house, that is just an accepted part of our job, but that being said, if a dog is barking at the gate...no we won't just enter, unless we know said dog

That said, you do have a right to choose who comes to your house, if she obviously doesn't want to go to your house, and you don't want her there, it will make life a lot easier for her supervisor if there is an agreement that she doesn't go to your house...because I can guarantee that every time she goes to your house her supervisor is getting a detailed report each time

Dogs are a good judge of character;Don't have this lady in your house and ask for someone else instead.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: We had a rescue dog who did have problems and he apparently did arch up to a person in the house. Turns out he was correct she did them over with the kitchen renos. He knew. ;) ;) ;)