Clippers - Thinking Of Changing

Preferred brand of Clippers  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What clippers are you currently using / or have used?

• Wahl KM-SS Single Speed
    • Wahl KM2 Two Speed
    • OSTER A5 2 Speed Clipper
    • Andis AGC 2 - 2 Speed Clipper
    • Andis AGC2 Super 2-speed
    • Double K 401 Clipper
    • Lazor RX 30 Watt Animal Clipper
    • Shear Magic Clipper
  2. 2. Would you buy the same brand again?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. What would you prefer to use?

• Wahl KM-SS Single Speed
    • Wahl KM2 Two Speed
    • Oster A5 2 Speed Clipper
    • Andis AGC2 Super 2-speed
    • Andis AGC 2 - 2 Speed Clipper
    • Double K 401 Clipper
    • Lazor RX 30 Watt Animal Clipper
    • Shear Magic Clipper

I have taken 2 sets of Wahl KM2 Clippers to be repaired - 3 sets have already gone to the clipper grave yard since I began grooming about 10 yrs ago and another 2 sets are almost ready for for a transplant. Now I do not consider myself hard on clippers however when I was a mobile groomer they did have a hard life compared to the work now. I am using the Oster 2 speed that I bought many years ago but hate them - they are back up only. I have also bought and like the small shear magic clipper that were nice and quite for nervous dogs for their face, feet and tail but they have also died.

If I have to replace clippers again I would prefer the Double K, but funds won't allow it just now - If I had a crystal ball they would have been my first choice from the start.

Thought it would be easier adding a poll. Sorry if I missed any other clipper brands.

What is the average life span of your clippers?

What is it about your clippers that you do or do not like?

Edited by Andisa

I have only ever used wahl, mine are the km ss. I started with the show pro ones but once I got my second dog I thought I would upgrade. So I have had the km ss for about 3 1/2 years and on average they get used 4 times every 10 weeks. They havent missed a beat, I have been really happy with them. But I guess my usage is only minimal in the grand scheme of things. I did buy a new 5 blade for them but I don't use it, it never seems sharp enough even after it has been sharpened and the dogs are bathed dryed and brushed I cant get it to cut properly, so I just stick with the 10 blade and the ss combs that came with the clippers. I hope to get a few more years out of mine yet. Wonder if I shoudl have them serviced do they need that? It is something I have never thought about??

You have had some bad luck with yours by the sounds of it!

Over the years I have used Oster, Double K, Andis, Wahl and Laube.

I don't like the Osters because they heat up too much. Wahl are the worst of the lot, don't do a good enough finish and don't last long enough, would only recommend them to pet owners although I know others like them.

Double K are awsome but too heavy for all day use. Laube I love do a beautiful finish but a little too much vibration for my hands.

Andis are perfect, light weight, little vibration, smooth finish and they last for ages, the only problem I have with them is a minor fault where the cord pulls away from the clipper but that is easily fixed.

Mine have been used both mobile and in shop, they are 10 -20 years old (I have 3 pairs) of the single speed oster A5. Minimal servicing/maintainance - probably getting due for the yearly grease check!

I had a 2 speed version but gave it to a friend as I hated them (slow speed to slow and fast speed just overheated clippers)

I have Wahl 2 speed clippers that have been doing 17 dogs for the past 5 years, and previously had Wah single speed that I had been using on all the dogs for at least 5 years, but I don't use Wahl blades I only use the Oster blades. I do have a set of Oster clippers that have hardly been used, but are needed for backup. I find the Wahl don't get as hot as the Osters, and are lighter and far more ergonomic for my hands. Have never tried any of the other brands.

Thanks for the feed back - much appreciated.

I probably should have said above that I have problems with my hands, I get pins and needles when grooming so clippers with vibrations would make it worse.

I find the KM's very comfortable and easy to hold, to me - the Oster are awkward and get hot, they are also a bit heavy.

Are the Double K heavy - they look like it would take a bit of getting used to but I have only ever heard how good they are once you adjust to them.

Might be worth looking at the Andis clippers when I pick mine up - thanks again :D

Oh and I have mostly Oster blades some Wahl blades, as well as some shear magic which I do not like. I have a nasty habit of buying blades when I am too slack sending them in to be sharpened and now have over 50 sets of blades :eek: . I have 10 sets getting sharpened and will send some off each week until they are all sharp again. Need to stop buying more blades and scissors :o .

I have suffered with hands like you describe for quite a few years, I started off with Oster clippers and then Wahl. Last year I bought the Andis AGC super 2 speed and I am really happy as they are so much better for my hands, I still have a bad days if I am scissoring a lot but that is all. I love them.

Not heavy at all ,i did 15 dogs yesterday .

I find them comfer than Oster,wahl & i don;t like the Andis shape .

It what suits each person but grooming time for severely matted dogs is half what it would be with others & the finish is way better.

We have had our Double K for over 20 years now so the new ones are probably even better .

Rarely serviced & used 5 days every week or more

Not heavy at all ,i did 15 dogs yesterday .

I find them comfer than Oster,wahl & i don;t like the Andis shape .

It what suits each person but grooming time for severely matted dogs is half what it would be with others & the finish is way better.

We have had our Double K for over 20 years now so the new ones are probably even better .

Rarely serviced & used 5 days every week or more

Thanks for that - think I will talk to them about the Double K and if my clippers are going to be fine then I might sell some of them with a few blades and put that towards the Double K. I do like the idea of saving time especially on matted coats..

I also have a set of Wahl that I will give to my sister, they are working but not reliable, she only wants them to do his feet so should be fine for that.

Well I picked up my clippers and blades today and while I was there I checked out the Double K and Andis clippers. The Andis vibrates and I think this would cause me heaps of problems with my hands. The Double K felt heavy and the cord would really piss me off so I think I will just stick with the Wahl clippers for now.

The 2 that were repaired were fine, just needed a service and a few minor parts. I will take the others in soon to be fixed so should be right for a while now with 4 sets back in action.

I have cleaned and packed up the Oster clippers in their original box and will sell them with a few sets of blades. I am sure those who like using Oster would be happy with them as they have only had minimal use, I just never liked them. If anyone is interested in the Oster please contact me privately, they are in very good condition with just a few scratches but never been knocked around.

Andis clippers should have minimal to no vibration. I had carpal tunnel surgery in January and the Andis were the only clippers I was able to comfortably use before then. I spoke with 3 separate suppliers and they all said they are the most ergonomic with the least vibration especially for someone with small hands.

Andis clippers should have minimal to no vibration. I had carpal tunnel surgery in January and the Andis were the only clippers I was able to comfortably use before then. I spoke with 3 separate suppliers and they all said they are the most ergonomic with the least vibration especially for someone with small hands.

I was expecting them to feel better than the Wahl but they weren't - brand new set taken out of the box and plugged in for a minute - they did vibrate. I also have small hands.

For now I will stick with what I have, they are comfortable and I am happy with them - just wish they lasted longer. The service was only $25 and about $8 for the parts that were replaced, can't complain about that.

After grooming for nearly 30 years and used all the types of clippers listed would only use the Heiniger re-chargable now we use them every day in the shop last all day without re-charging, light, egonomic and fast just the best :thumbsup:

I have a pair of Osters, Andis 2 speed and two pairs of Wahl 2 speeds and I love my Wahls. I had surgery as well for nerve damage from grooming and the only clippers I can still use are my wahl's. I've had my current pair for about 8 years.

Andis every time. Bought myself a spare set of Wahl KM2's,ONLY because I was impatient and thought I might need a spare set imminently - big waste of money for me personally. Went out and bought a 2nd set of Andis 2 speeds, and will be selling the Wahls. Don't get on with them at all.

Having operated salons for many years I only ever used Oster A5 2-Speed Clippers and the Double-K,

I have tried Andis and Wahl units and never liked them.

The Oster does run hot, but it certainly never bothered me and I used the same pair for many, many years without having to touch them except for the carbon brushes.

I used the Double-K for the big jobs and they are just awesome... no salon should be without them!

But by the comments and results here, everyone obviously has differing opinions. Not everyone is comfortable with the same clippers.