Natural Yoghurt For Dogs

I've been using 'Harvey Fresh lactose free' natural yoghurt. It is a W.A. brand though so maybe not available elsewhere.

I think natural yoghurts generally have very little lactose anyway (mostly digested by the cultures?)

I've been using lactose free simply because my dog seems to have a very sensitive stomach.

Guest english.ivy

You need to look carefully, some say natural and they aren't.

I tend to buy the same brand, Farmers Union, and it is a little expensive but we also use it ourselves.

I use one that's in the top 3 yoghurts recommended for humans by the nutritionist, Catherine Saxelby.

Vaalia Natural Probiotic Yoghurt ( it has cultures A, B & LGG written on the container). Has no colours, flavours or preservatives.

Nice creamy taste, not the bitterness that yoghurts can have.

My tibbies have a good dollop on their meal.

I buy whichever one I can find in plain yoghurt. Sometimes it low-fat, skim, sometimes not. It depends on the use by date. I sometimes get Greek natural yoghurt. There are so many yoghurts available now days it's hard to find the unflavoured ones.

+1 for the Jalna fat free with the green lid - although I do use others sometimes if I can't get that. As to benefits - ??? - other than definitely using it if the dogs are on antibiotics for any reason - to repopulate the gut flora - and I do sprinkle their Joint Guard on their yoghurt (although I don't think they care any more :laugh: ).

Jalna Biodynamic, b.d Farm Paris Creek, Margeret River or Gaganis Sheeps Milk Yogurt (all full fat unflavoured). Depends on where I shop and what's on special that week.:)

Natural, plain yogurt with ABC cultures is probably the most beneficial. Flavoured won't hurt but it can be high in sugar.

Hi...what are the benefits of feeding yogurt to dogs?

Because it keeps the bowel healthy and also benefits the over all health of the rest of the body.

Yoghurt with living culture is a 'live food'- living friendly bacteria which produces probiotics which is like a natural antibiotic.

So can be used to normalise the bacteria of a dogs bowel. (Great benefit for a dog taking antibiotics)

Yoghurt can be added to any dogs food, sick or well, as it is an excellent source of calcium, high class protein, vitamin A & vitamin B.