Rally-o

I had a go today with Kenzie, and as we have never done any trialling I was pretty happy that she paid any attention to me at all!!!

But I think this is going to be a fun comp and yes it is much harder than you think it is going to be!!! I think the best way I can describe it is "fast"!!! But now that I've seen what it's like I'm that little bit more motivated to train for it!!

Thanks for letting us all have a go today to everyone who was involved in it!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Anglesun for teaching everyone at KCC park.

yes we did get abit burnt after the sun decided to make an appearance. :laugh:

Everyone I saw go through seemed to enjoy it.

One person commented that "you have to think more instead of being told what you have to do".

BB

Hi all

I have a friend who lives in Narre Warren (VIC) - I think Rally-O would really suit her and her BC. Can someone give me a contact please? She is also interested in DWD so anyone in the know there would be great too. Obviously she is not expecting to be able to train until the new year. Thank you! :)

Hi all

I have a friend who lives in Narre Warren (VIC) - I think Rally-O would really suit her and her BC. Can someone give me a contact please? She is also interested in DWD so anyone in the know there would be great too. Obviously she is not expecting to be able to train until the new year. Thank you! :)

Hi TSD, not sure which clubs will be teaching Rally-O but about the DWD go to the DWD australia website and click on the Vic link as that has some contact details on it for your friend.

As a professional dog trainer and competitor in numerous dog sports, I am enthusiastic and eager to learn more and to get involved in rally myself as well as to offer lessons

I still need to claify some things

1-which signs people find most difficult to train and why

2-what are the methods people are finding most effective for training for the difficult signs

3-where does one begin to perform the exercise. Some signs seem to dicate starting a few paces BEFORE the sign,

What is the point of view on where to start

I think the most difficult ones to train depend on the dog. I found for Zero, the toughest one is the "back up 3 steps, dog stays in heel position" sign but he's incredibly uncoordinated so that doesn't surprise me. I have heard of people who have dogs who do it easily. I know people who have problems doing a moving stand - Z's is solid and always has been.

Techincally the hardest ones should be the ones that are only used in the Excellent class but as i said, i think it's up to the individual dog.

As for the where to perform the exercise, it depends on the sign. For example, a left or right turn is performed before the sign, but a moving side step is after or you risk hitting the sign.

here is a good video for you Shell http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup#p/search/0/k4LoPU1g310

Thanks for that, Helen - that's pretty much what I've been doing with mine - but finding it hard to get them to keep straight without the wall - probably lumping I think - will need to split :laugh:

ETA - haven't checked just now, but from memory, that station is Advanced and Excellent, isn't it - so a few more weeks to get it right ;)

Edited by Tassie

Thanks for that, Helen - that's pretty much what I've been doing with mine - but finding it hard to get them to keep straight without the wall - probably lumping I think - will need to split :laugh:

ETA - haven't checked just now, but from memory, that station is Advanced and Excellent, isn't it - so a few more weeks to get it right ;)

It's only in Excellent so heaps of time! ;) It's the hardest one for me, too. Ava will backup away from me but with me is a different matter. We'll get there. Also the moving stand, walk around the dog (without pausing) will be interesting.

The one I've found surprisingly difficult is the front, back 1 step, 2 steps, 3 steps. In the start Ava really wanted to swing her bum around towards heel position after the first step. I already knew from obedience that I had some work to do on fronts, so this has encouraged me to work on it, and I think we are pretty much there :laugh:

In January I have a Rally-O trial one night and an Open obedience trial the next night, so it will be interesting to see if it affects our performance in any way.

I did hear a rumor that they were going to teach it at Croydon again. We had classes years ago but they weren't well attended but now there are comps etc I heard they might start the class again.

Yeah I've heard this too - also more than happy to help out with the running of it if they do :thumbsup:

I did hear a rumor that they were going to teach it at Croydon again. We had classes years ago but they weren't well attended but now there are comps etc I heard they might start the class again.

Yeah I've heard this too - also more than happy to help out with the running of it if they do :thumbsup:

I think that you might be right here as a member from your club came out to the lecture/workshop that was held for the judges and interested parties. He was telling a friend of mine how they had already got some special holders for the signs. Can't remember his name though

The rules (p.14) just say

Calculation of the Dog's Jump Height:

The dog's height shall be measured at the withers to the nearest 10mm. The dog’s jump

height shall be given on the entry form.

Height of Dog at Withers Height to be jumped Broad Jump

Under 255mm 150mm 300mm

255mm and under 380mm 200mm 400mm

380mm and under 500mm 300mm 600mm

500mm and over 400mm 800mm

I'm pretty sure they haven't even thought about an official height card - yet, at least :laugh:

We've just had a couple of iinstructors measuring the dogs at the club, using the official wicket.

Hi all

In Queensland a height measurement card for dogs competing in CDX & Utility are issued.

The same will apply in Rally Obedience where the dog's details are recorded, height recorded and signed off by 2 Senior Judges.

Expect similar to be the case in all States where Rally Obedience is a Titled Sport.

Fantastic Christmas to all Rally O afficionados and compete well, to a high level and successfully in 2012

JEB5

Hi all

In Queensland a height measurement card for dogs competing in CDX & Utility are issued.

The same will apply in Rally Obedience where the dog's details are recorded, height recorded and signed off by 2 Senior Judges.

Expect similar to be the case in all States where Rally Obedience is a Titled Sport.

Fantastic Christmas to all Rally O afficionados and compete well, to a high level and successfully in 2012

JEB5

Victoria got rid of an official height card for Obedience years ago