Costs Of Owning A Canine

arjay

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/at-the-ruff-end-of-canine-costs/story-fn6ck51p-1226081920678

The RSPCA estimates the minimum costs over a dog's lifetime can add up to about $23,139 for a small dog, $25,580 for a large dog and $32,120 for average medium-sized dogs, which tend to live longer.

And the cost of keeping a dog is growing every year.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said the costs of pet ownership were rising alongside the general cost of living, and some new pet owners underestimated how much money it took to look after their pup over a lifetime.

"There are a lot of things that people forget about that can add up," he said.

He said costs for food, vaccinations, vet fees and on-going heartworm, flea and tick prevention, as well as incidentals like boarding for when the owners went on holiday could contribute to a hefty pet care bill.

But Mr Beatty said there were things owners could do to keep costs down.

"You don't have to shower a fortune on expensive toys or hugely expensive food," he said.

"You can cut down on a lot of costs with do-it-yourself products to keep the animal entertained during the day. The dog doesn't care whether it costs $50 or 50 cents, as long as it's keeping him or her entertained."

Meredith Brothers, a vet, said new owners often didn't plan for the costs involved if their pet became sick or injured, and taking out pet insurance could save an owner thousands of dollars.

"Your dog can just go down to the beach and twist its leg and it's $3500," Dr Brothers said.

"They're the sort of expenses people don't plan for and that's why I really encourage pet insurance."

Owners could cut costs by doing their own grooming and making their own toys but shouldn't skimp on pet food or try to make their own.

"What we recommend here is a high-quality dry food," she said.

Dr Brothers said people were generally spending more on their pets than in the past.

Any opnions? My friend said me after reading this in the paper, you could of bought a nice car. While I said I would rather have a canine companion instead to keep me company.

Any opnions? My friend said me after reading this in the paper, you could of bought a nice car. While I said I would rather have a canine companion instead to keep me company.

Does your friend want children? If so, tell her she could keep the money it costs to raise a kid and buy a house instead. Pretty silly thing to say to someone who owns a dog, isnt it. I hope she was just being tongue in cheek

One of the biggest things you can do for your dog in terms of it's health, is to feed it the best you possibly can. Cut corners on beds and toys by all means, but what goes in your dogs mouth, is very important to it overall health and well being.

Keeping it lean and fit is a good investment too. Like humans, fit dogs have less health issues.

If it worries people how much a dog will cost them over a life time there's a simple answer - don't own one.

I think the article is a good idea. Taped to the front of a few petshop windows, it might slow down the impulse buyers who find themselves confronted with costs they'd never thought about.

Frankly, if those of the costs of keeping your "average pet" I'm not even going to think about what mine cost me. I spend four figures every year on canine chiropracty alone! :laugh:

I think the joy that your dog gives u is priceless.

Couldn't agree more.Someone asked me recently how much would I spend a week on my dogs and I told them I don't know.I just buy them what they need when they need it.

I never add it up and with an old dog with that health issues that require daily medication - I don't want to :)

My dogs give far more than any material toy ever could and I can't put a price on that.

I agree if you worry about the cost, don't get a dog.

However it is good for people who cannot 'afford' to buy a dog for a few hundred dollars. If they can't afford the purchase price of a dog, they don't have much hope of being able to afford upkeep and medical care.

I had a young guy from work ask me about costs for a dog and i atrted rattling off the reg stuff, he was :eek: think the dog ownership was postponed, as someone said if u need to ask U can't afford it

I have people ask how much my dogs cost to feed. I reply 'not as much as shopping and lunching with the girls on the weekend, not as much as you spend on beer and cigarettes, and certainly not as much as you spend on your children'. I tell my Husband, 'it is better than me having spare time and a boyfriend'. People just do not get it, and I don't care that they don't!

In retrospect... on "average" that works out to about $5.25 a Day for a large dog living for 13 years... I spend more than that a day on coffee... :o So compared to my caffine habit. My dog's company is a bargain. :thumbsup:

But yes I think the worst case scenario version of this should be a manditory sign for any petshop that still insists on selling dogs and cats "To Provide your new companion with his BASIC needs it will cost you This much for his lifetime." scare them into thinking about it.

And of course they don't take into accounts how many "lifetimes" worth of dogs one can go through.. i reckon id be up to about $150,000 at least by now lol.

The RSPCA estimates the minimum costs over a dog's lifetime can add up to about $23,139 for a small dog

Really? Lifetime it adds up to that?

Charlie did a great job and beat that figure (and then some), and it only took Charlie less than 2 years to achieve that too :eek::laugh:

The RSPCA estimates the minimum costs over a dog's lifetime can add up to about $23,139 for a small dog

Charlie did a great job and beat that figure (and then some), and it only took Charlie less than 2 years to achieve that too :eek::laugh:

love your work Charlie :thumbsup::laugh:

One of the biggest things you can do for your dog in terms of it's health, is to feed it the best you possibly can. Cut corners on beds and toys by all means, but what goes in your dogs mouth, is very important to it overall health and well being.

I tell this to people all the time! I generally use the comparison of feeding a child Mcdonalds every day as opposed to a balanced diet. Soooooo important!

love your work Charlie :thumbsup::laugh:

:laugh:

I have people ask how much my dogs cost to feed. I reply 'not as much as shopping and lunching with the girls on the weekend, not as much as you spend on beer and cigarettes, and certainly not as much as you spend on your children'. I tell my Husband, 'it is better than me having spare time and a boyfriend'. People just do not get it, and I don't care that they don't!

Hmmmmmm I drink beer and smoke cigarettes and the occassional lunch with friends but my dogs never pay for my social habits.Please don't let this turn into the bone thread! :laugh: