Where Can Our Dogs Go?

nikitaken

Bempton cliffs

HolyIstoHull170.jpg

Bempton cliffs, puffin hunting..

HolyIstoHull233.jpg

Don't even get me started on where horses, ponies, donkeys, sheep and cattle are allowed. That's a whole more 1000 photos!!! basically EVERYWHERE. :D :laugh:

Sorry about the amount of pics, it just makes me so frustrated that in a tiny country of 70 million people they can (at least they try) manage human/dog spaces better than we can with all the space, large gardens and tiny population... :o

Edited by Monah

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m english, never had outside pets nor had any friends who had outside pets even though we all emigrated here quite young and grew up here. The 'culture' came with us :laugh: Flame me now for being a whinging Pom!! I loathe the lack of dog friendly things in Aust. I've recently returned from UK, and had a very 'doggy' time with friends and in general. Examples of 'normal' there (all UK) are that dogs were allowed in all national parks, all fields/paddocks even with stock (I guess as long as the stock are not hassled), I went puffin hunting(photography, not killing!) and yep, heaps of people with dogs there too, every single pub I ate in I shared my 'table' with several dogs, or couch, every B & B allowed dogs in fact a spinone weekend was on in NOrfolk and there were hundreds of spins staying in all the b and bs, pubs, hotels etc. NORMAL. they were even allowed on beds if you put your own sheet over the cover first. Dogs were on trains, busses, taxis, even at most of the tourist places we went. the only place I saw that asked not to take dogs in was a car museum and it had a purpose built area with water bowls and tie ups and shade for dogs while you went in. All places that dogs could go had special areas and even kennels in case you needed to leave them for an hour or so. Imagine how terrific this would be in Aust at places like Kakadu etc. I know many people who travel with their dogs and when they hit a national park may have to kennel their dogs hundreds of ks away while they sightsee!!! :mad

I had many b and b owners dogs spend the night in my bed (missed dogs!! :laugh: )

It was so refreshing having no complaints from people when there were dogs in pubs or anywhere else. I told a woman who had 3 dogs on a couch in the pub that we cannot do that and she was very shocked and said 'do you have rabies there?' as she just could not get her head around it at all. I said No, we're just ignorant!

It seems that 70 million UKers have not karked it from having dogs near their food or beds! We must have very low immune systems! :eek:

Well I am not from the UK....But I feel the same and I enjoyed all your doggy friendly pics :)

I found the UK much more dog friendly.

We lived over there for a few years and were able to take our dog pretty much everywhere with us- trains, buses, pubs etc. It cost 10 pounds extra to have your dog sleep in your hotel room and that included dinner for them :laugh:

They also have a lot more dog- friendly walking paths where dogs don't have to be on lead, only under control. They can be shot for hassling stock, however it is easy to put your dog on lead when walking thru a paddock with stock in it.

I have to say that the dogs were all very well behaved.

There were no dogs in major shopping centers in big cities though, although I did see a few dogs on trains and the tube in London.

we recently travelled thru vic, sa, wa, and nt.

i was suprise every second couple had a doggie with them but very few caravan parks allowed dogs.

one had a sign small dogs only by owners descretion. i felt leo would have been too big... as a waist height dally.

but i did say to OH i bet i could get them to allow him if i had bought him by doing all his tricks and promising to keep in the crate when onsite outside.

oh and they had a limit of one dog....although there was one lot with 2 dogs. i am not sure our 5 would have gone down very well.

Monah, great pictures!!!! Dogs are cleaner than some people :laugh: so being allowed in restaurants/pubs/B&B's are ok by me! And totally agree about the space thing. Dogs should be more included here :( But when my very own family don't understand my dogs are my family and I want them with me all the time, how can I expect the rest of the country to agree?

we recently travelled thru vic, sa, wa, and nt.

i was suprise every second couple had a doggie with them but very few caravan parks allowed dogs.

one had a sign small dogs only by owners descretion. i felt leo would have been too big... as a waist height dally.

but i did say to OH i bet i could get them to allow him if i had bought him by doing all his tricks and promising to keep in the crate when onsite outside.

oh and they had a limit of one dog....although there was one lot with 2 dogs. i am not sure our 5 would have gone down very well.

I've travelled all over with my dogs AND 4 cats :laugh: We had our own van though and I used the Holidaying With Dogs Book (bible!) and rang ahead when I knew where we would be on the day. We all slept in the van as it was our van but nowhere took animals without your own accommodation.... :( I've now seen just this week that Big4 parks, who were nazi like in their anti dog status, have now left it up to the park managers whether or not they will allow dogs.. I found the Daly Waters park great for the dogs and if we could not find anywhere to stay with them we stayed in laybys off the road. No power, loos or showers though :eek: but if you have a terrific caravan you'd be set, I would not go to parks if we had all the perks and now you can get solar vans so no generators..

Great photos Monah. Just love the puffins

We just did a trip Sunshine Coast - Canberra - Great Ocean Rd and back . We had the dogs and our own Motorhome ,

Some places all the caravan parks accepted dogs in "owners " own vans and then in some places none or just one did . In these caravan parks nearly everyone had a dog and they were very full.

It just takes a bit of extra planning and ringing ahead to make sure they still accept dogs, as one Caravan park had changed there mind .

Had the loveliest day today. Hit the road walking with my OH, kids & dog.

Had coffee and brekkie at our favourite cafe- Honey was cuddled by her usual fan club.

Wandered up Crown St, Surry Hills looking for a birthday gift, Honey allowed into several shops.

Met a friend at a local (dog friendly) park where all our kids played while Honey checked the "doggy mail".

Moved on to a very trendy pub (the Norfolk) for a drink and a bite to eat- delighted to find, all 4 kids & the dog welcome! Bar staff even brought Honey some water (though im sure she'd rather they brought the tacos I was eating). As we left they all made a big fuss and made me promise to bring her back!!

Walked home afterwards past another very groovy bar (the Winery) with a big sign outside saying "dogs welcome" .

Who says dogs you can't take your dogs anywhere? You just need to move to my hood! :D

Guest HarperGD

Had the loveliest day today. Hit the road walking with my OH, kids & dog.

Had coffee and brekkie at our favourite cafe- Honey was cuddled by her usual fan club.

Wandered up Crown St, Surry Hills looking for a birthday gift, Honey allowed into several shops.

Met a friend at a local (dog friendly) park where all our kids played while Honey checked the "doggy mail".

Moved on to a very trendy pub (the Norfolk) for a drink and a bite to eat- delighted to find, all 4 kids & the dog welcome! Bar staff even brought Honey some water (though im sure she'd rather they brought the tacos I was eating). As we left they all made a big fuss and made me promise to bring her back!!

Walked home afterwards past another very groovy bar (the Winery) with a big sign outside saying "dogs welcome" .

Who says dogs you can't take your dogs anywhere? You just need to move to my hood! :D

I agree with you dee_lee, I live around this area too (Waterloo actually) and I find it to be very dog friendly. Head down Danks Street on a Sunday morning for breakfast and there are pooches everywhere under tables, sharing brekkie with their owners :) :)

The parks all seem to be unofficially (or maybe officially, I'm not sure??) off-leash too.

I think it's great, especially because the alternative for these people is to keep the dog cooped up in an apartment all day and that's no fun for the owners or the dog.

I'm definitely going to check out the Norfolk and the Winery now! :D

EDIT: I was just up visiting parents in Byron Bay and that place is not very dog friendly at all :(

Edited by HarperGD