Ridiculous Quote For Puppy Transportation Or Not?

suziwong66

Hello folks,

we'll be looking to bring our new pup home in about 6 weeks and was wondering what the cost of using JetPets would be as we've used them several times before with adult dogs in the past.

The pup is coming from Ballarat and i live in Adelaide. I got an approximate cost of nearly $550 :eek: which seems darn excessive to me. Your thoughts please??

as MrSuziwong66 works in Melb frequently, we thought he could hire a car and pick the puppy up himself and they could fly back together. Qantas quoted us $60 for an accompanied animal and $120 for an unaccompanied animal with $60 for crate. However, reading through some of the posts in another topic discussion in the breeders forum area, i read that only pet transport reps can lodge animals with AAE for transport as freight :confused: We've been looking through both Qantas' and AAE's websites so that we are well informed about transporting the new puppy but this topic was not on either websites.

So my questions for others who have experienced recent pet transport are:

does my quote seem reasonable? and

is it true that only pet transport reps can lodge animals with AAE to fly? (my husband's company uses Qantas to fly him to Melb & back)

thanks for any input :)

Edited by suziwong66

If the quote is from Melbourne to Adelaide that sounds like it could be high. If it's from Ballarat it's probably an ok price.

I flew my 20kg dog from Broome to Brisbane unaccompanied late last year and it cost around $600 through jet pets.

When I flew him from Brisbane to Broome early last year I lodged him at AAE myself (in a crate hired from dogtainers), at both Brisbane and Perth airports(I stopped overnight at Perth).

I think you're best off phoning them yourself as I noticed one other time someone was asking about tranportation there were people on here stating things that were contradictory to my own experiences and the information given on the Qantas website.

ETA: If your quote is from Ballarat (ie. car transportation from Ballarat to Melbourne airport) then it would cost quite a bit because when I hired dogtainers to drive my dog to Brisbane airport it cost $60 and we only live around 10ks from the airport.

Edited by Akay

Ring around, and even double check with the original quote perhaps? We got a quote to bring our lab puppy from Mt Gambier in SA, to Geraldton WA for well over $900!!!! Boy did I feel sick, and was certain divorce was in my near future.

We got another quote from another carrier and it was $392. The original carrier then contacted the breeder and said they had misquoted, and it was about $400. Thank goodness for that! :)

I found dog tainers considerably cheaper than jet pets for a flight from sydney to gold coast. 10 kilo puppy just over a month ago, Jet pets were $190+ and dog tainers were $134. This included crate hire and the flight.

I'm just arranging for a rescue young cattle dog to get from Melbourne to Perth. The adopter was quoted $700 odd but I found a company to do it for $385 including crate . Not one of the big companies but has been in business for 20 odd years. PM me if you want the number.

Hello folks,

we'll be looking to bring our new pup home in about 6 weeks and was wondering what the cost of using JetPets would be as we've used them several times before with adult dogs in the past.

The pup is coming from Ballarat and i live in Adelaide. I got an approximate cost of nearly $550 :eek: which seems darn excessive to me. Your thoughts please??

as MrSuziwong66 works in Melb frequently, we thought he could hire a car and pick the puppy up himself and they could fly back together. Qantas quoted us $60 for an accompanied animal and $120 for an unaccompanied animal with $60 for crate. However, reading through some of the posts in another topic discussion in the breeders forum area, i read that only pet transport reps can lodge animals with AAE for transport as freight :confused: We've been looking through both Qantas' and AAE's websites so that we are well informed about transporting the new puppy but this topic was not on either websites.

is it true that only pet transport reps can lodge animals with AAE to fly? (my husband's company uses Qantas to fly him to Melb & back)

You could almost drive over and pick him up from Adelaide to Ballarat? By memory I think it cost us under $400 when my husband drove from Adelaide to Melbourne and picked our little one up including a motel stay overnight, food etc, just a thought? :)

Hello folks,

You could almost drive over and pick him up from Adelaide to Ballarat? By memory I think it cost us under $400 when my husband drove from Adelaide to Melbourne and picked our little one up including a motel stay overnight, food etc, just a thought? :)

We had considered this, but the puppy won't be have full immunity from its six week vaccinations and i'm loathe to set it down on the ground enroute to do its business every hour or so.

Am i being overly protective about vaccination immunity?

As long as my husband is allowed by AAE to lodge the dog himself, him picking up the puppy while he's in Melbourne for work, will be the cheapest option. His work pay for his flights and we only pay for the dog and the hiring of a car to get to Ballarat

Hi ( first post =] )

We had our 9 week dal pup flown from Tassie to the mid north coast of NSW (Coffs Harbour) for $234, including crate hire. Pretty sure that's further than Ballarat to Adelaide?

That said, the breeder did organise everything for us and we just paid her.

Hi ( first post =] )

We had our 9 week dal pup flown from Tassie to the mid north coast of NSW (Coffs Harbour) for $234, including crate hire. Pretty sure that's further than Ballarat to Adelaide?

That said, the breeder did organise everything for us and we just paid her.

Yes, you are correct, Coffs to Adel is much further than Ballarat to Adel. Do breeders get a special rate from the transportation companies? I'm wondering if i'm getting the 'non-special' rate. I'm going to 'ring 'round' and see what the comparable rates are like. thanks :)

If you would not feel safe about vaccinations to drive then I'd hardly recommend putting it on a flight with however many unknown dogs that you have no idea whether they have been vacccinated or what diseases they may carry.

I recently had a dog transported from a major airport to a regional airport and we paid $255 (which included crate hire and the required worming for Tasmania) for an adult dog of a large breed. The distance was more or less the same as your pup would be travelling.

$550 seems a bit high but quotes for dog transport (judging from some of the quotes I got, anyway) seem to be decided by some sort of mysterious oracle that picks a number at random.

For example.. road transport from NSW to Vic with pet transport company 1 (a seven hour trip, or something crazy like that) cost $80. The quote from a different company to pick the dog up from the airport and deliver to our house (an 18km trip or roughly a 20 minute drive) was $84. Mysterious stuff.

I have flown 2 pups from Brisbane to Sydney - always been able to lodge them myself. Just give Qantas a call, I have always found them very helpful. PS Im with AMS. You could easily have a pet on the plane with your pup that has never been vaccinated against anything and could be carrying something. They never check vaccination certificates etc.

Ridiculous quote. Your puppy can be taken to the airport by the breeder or your husband to be put on the flight. I know if you use some companies they have to be there personally to lodge the puppy & they do charge you for this as well as for the flight, so that is more expensive.

Maybe phone Virgin, I use them most times, & ask for a quote then if you are happy with it book the flight. Remember that you must use an airline approved crate so check that.

Your quote sounds about right if you've used their online quote form and put in your Ballarat address as the destination.......they quote door to door if you do that, and yes that's very expensive. Request a quote from airport to airport.

I got a quote from them to ship an adult dog from Perth to my home address in country Vic. It was almost $900. I nearly died of shock! Then I realised they'd quoted door to door, not Perth airport to Melbourne airport and got a much more reasonable quote of $305.

ETA, just to clear up any confusion, I'm talking about JetPets.

Edited by GayleK

As you would be flying into Adelaide, I would be checking with their rates as they state from Qantas website:

Travelling with Pets

Exceptions

Standards

Quarantine Requirements

With the exception of service dogs, pets cannot be carried in the passenger cabin of the aircraft.

If travelling on a Qantas operated Australian domestic service (QF400 and above) pets can be considered part of your free baggage allowance, subject to the exceptions below.

If you are travelling with a pet you must advise your local Qantas office immediately after you have purchased your ticket to confirm your pet's travel arrangements.

If you are booked on an international flight (QF001-QF399) or a domestic sector of an international flight, or if you are not travelling on the same aircraft as your pet, your pets cannot be carried as free baggage. You must send your pet pack as freight and pay the applicable freight charges.

All pets^ must be contained in a pet pack on arrival at the passenger terminal. Pets on leads are not permitted.

Subject to the exceptions below, for a pet pack to be considered part of your baggage:

You must be holding a confirmed reservation;

You must lodge your baggage at the passenger terminal at least sixty (60) minutes prior to departure; and

The pet pack must conform to the standards listed below.

Only small and medium sized pet packs qualify as part of your free baggage allowance. All other pet packs must be lodged directly with a freight company at the freight terminal and will incur a fee. Qantas recommends Australian Air Express.*

You will be required to pay excess baggage charges if your baggage, including your pet pack, exceeds the free baggage allowance. There is a limit of two (2) pet packs (no larger than the medium pet pack) per passenger, subject to normal baggage allowances. Additional pet packs will be sent as airfreight and you will be required to pay the applicable freight charges.

Exceptions

Not permitted at all on Qantas or QantasLink services: Dangerous dogs (full and cross bred), Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, American Pit Bull, American Staffordshire and Pit Bull Terriers, kittens and puppies under eight weeks of age and animals that demonstrate aggressive behaviours or show excessive chewing or cage destruction.

Restrictions apply to the following dog breeds: Brachycephalic (snub nosed) dogs (full bred only), Bull Dog (any breed), Pug, Pekingese, Boston Terriers and Japanese Chin. These breeds may be accepted on short distance flights of five hours or less, please contact Qantas Telephone Sales for further information. On flights greater than five hours we are unable to accept the above breeds due to their brachycephalic nature.

Animals that must be sent as freight: Guard or racing animals, animals that are a part of the defence forces and fresh water live fish (aquarium type).

Animals that must be sent as freight to or from these airports: Pets are not permitted in the passenger terminals of the following airports either for departure or arrival: Adelaide, Alice Springs, Cairns, Canberra, Darwin, Gove, Hobart, Karratha, Perth, Port Hedland and Townsville. All permitted pets must be lodged at the Australian air Express freight terminal and you will be required to pay the applicable rate for the carriage of the pet. When pets are travelling to any of these destinations they must be collected from the freight terminal at the arrival destination. Contact Australian Air Express(AaE)* for information.

Cages: All cages must meet the specifications outlined in the IATA Live Animal Regulations.

Different rules may apply for QantasLink services: For details contact Qantas Telephone Sales.

Pets travelling internationally on Qantas as freight: Contact Qantas Freight on 1300 373 444 for further details and information.

Pets travelling domestically on Qantas as freight: Contact Australian air Express on 13 12 13 for further details and information.

Right to refuse carriage: Qantas reserves the right to refuse carriage of a pet for any reason, including:

- Safety or security reasons.

- In order to comply with applicable laws, regulations or orders.

- Non-compliance with our directions by the person travelling with the pet.

Hello folks,

We had considered this, but the puppy won't be have full immunity from its six week vaccinations and i'm loathe to set it down on the ground enroute to do its business every hour or so.

Am i being overly protective about vaccination immunity?

As long as my husband is allowed by AAE to lodge the dog himself, him picking up the puppy while he's in Melbourne for work, will be the cheapest option. His work pay for his flights and we only pay for the dog and the hiring of a car to get to Ballarat

We didn't put him on the ground outside on the trip, same reason with vaccinations, my husband let him out of the crate and had newspaper down in the back of the wagon :)