Vets Encouraging Backyard Breeding...

puddles

Ok so IMO this is pretty slack!

A vet in Bundaberg has started selling pups and kittens, you know they type, those overpriced 'purebreds' that come from who knows where!!

And here I was, thinking that vets were meant to be promoting the demise of 'backyard breeders' and puppy farmers. Isn't this just encouraging them??

Just my thoughts :)

Most of the vets I know have BYB dogs and puppies and have no idea about even the health tests available for different breeds.

Most I know think that nasty rego'd breeders are the ones who have created the issues in purebred dogs. Most are not able to differentiate between rego'd breed dogs and BYB purebreds, never mind between ethical rego's breeder or not.

So while my vets are wonderful at fixing my dog and diagnosing disease they are not the people I would speak to regarding ethical breeding practices.

Sad but true!

A girl I know who is doing Vet Nursing at Uni is convinced that registered breeders are evil and that purebreds are riddled with problems. She also believes the crossbred hybrid theory.

:(

I was told the same thing by a vet science associate professor :eek:

One of the largest & worst puppy farms in Victoria is owned by a vet. Conditions are horrendous

AL have managed to get something done about it in the past but not to stop him completely.

Makes you lose faith in humanity. These are people that should know & act better.

Most of the vets I know have BYB dogs and puppies and have no idea about even the health tests available for different breeds.

Most I know think that nasty rego'd breeders are the ones who have created the issues in purebred dogs. Most are not able to differentiate between rego'd breed dogs and BYB purebreds, never mind between ethical rego's breeder or not.

So while my vets are wonderful at fixing my dog and diagnosing disease they are not the people I would speak to regarding ethical breeding practices.

Sad but true!

^^^This

Each day at work I am guaranteed to hear a vet promote x breeds and hybrid vigour. They say as long as the pup appears healthy and the bitch seems friendly that's all that matters.

They recommend people to scan the papers for dogs, as they're much cheaper than going to an overpriced registered breeder who is in it for the money. :mad:mad **sigh**

Many years ago we bought two border collie pups from a BYB, from the same litter...she cost $75 & her brother cost $50. Our vet at the time said "Oh what lovely dogs...are you going to breed from them" :mad:mad They both lived for nearly 14 years but were riddled with problems. Apart from that, he was a good vet, who made lots of money out of our two badly bred BY dogs. When you come to think of it, they get most of their business from unhealthy, badly bred animals, so why wouldn't they encourage willy nilly breeding.

Edited by sheena

My vet is a pure bred lover all the way, I'm very lucky! However the guy that actually owns the surgeery is heavly involved in BYB. If my vet wasn't the most wonderful vert on the face of the earth then I would go else where

It is sad that there are soem unethical and uninformed vets out there but I guess in every profession there are people like that :(

Most of the vets I know support breeders who do the appropriate health testing and breed for temperament and health.

Many vets and vet students I know would support getting a rescue dog over a purebred.

My vets been asking when I'm desexing Quinn from her first vacc.

Then at 4 months old I got a letter reminding me she was almost at the age to get her desexed and outlined all the pet overpopulation porblems in australia, pyometra etc etc.

I've told them quiet a few times I will be desexing her but not till she's finished maturing which they seem to understand.

It does get a little annoying everytime I go inthey ask if she's desexed, am I planning on breeding or desexing? (Um... can neither for now be an answer or does she have to use it or loose it?) but I guess for the average joe pet owner having the vet suggesting desexing is a good thing for most people.

Then at 4 months old I got a letter reminding me she was almost at the age to get her desexed and outlined all the pet overpopulation porblems in australia, pyometra etc etc.

I've told them quiet a few times I will be desexing her but not till she's finished maturing which they seem to understand.

It does get a little annoying everytime I go inthey ask if she's desexed, am I planning on breeding or desexing? (Um... can neither for now be an answer or does she have to use it or loose it?) but I guess for the average joe pet owner having the vet suggesting desexing is a good thing for most people.

Yeah, I think that's a great thing actually! While it may be annoying for you - clear reminders like that are for the best for most people!

Yeah, I think that's a great thing actually! While it may be annoying for you - clear reminders like that are for the best for most people!

Yeah i see it as a good thing as well!

My previous vet promoted designer dogs and poodle X's as being ideal family pets and having hybrid vigour. :( Friends went out and bought a poodle/spaniel cross from a pet shop on his advice....aaarrgghh. I eventually (after learning about puppy farms and designer dogs here on DOL) told him to google pics of puppy farm raids before he ever recommended them again. ;)

Many years ago we bought two border collie pups from a BYB, from the same litter...she cost $75 & her brother cost $50. Our vet at the time said "Oh what lovely dogs...are you going to breed from them" :mad:mad They both lived for nearly 14 years but were riddled with problems. Apart from that, he was a good vet, who made lots of money out of our two badly bred BY dogs. When you come to think of it, they get most of their business from unhealthy, badly bred animals, so why wouldn't they encourage willy nilly breeding.

That doesn't seem fair - I have never met a vet that wanted to see more sick animals... it's just not why they become vets in the first place.

The issue is that vet science is an extremely expensive course to run - think about it, and the unis need all the help they can get with the funding. So when the crappy dog food companies and whoever else come along and agree to help sponsor - well they have to accept all the help they can get. As a result, the students are not as well-informed as you'd hope, but that doesn't mean that they don't have the animal's' best interests at heart.

Source: went to Sydney uni and had friends who are now vets.

Our breed has many vets BYB & breed some of the worse specimans,one also encourages there buyers to breed .

Having kennels we get many DD dogs & the likes in & its interesting to see which vets are the chosen one for certain chains of petshops or well known farms

When I worked at one vet hospital I was seen as very weird for wanting toparticipate in shows dog sports etc. I was just about the anti-Christ for having a pedigree registered entire dog.

Was a bit of a bang back to earth when we had had a great weekend away , and you would walk in and the onepersonwho didn't think I was weird would ask how you had gone and you were happily sharing the news to have others walk past with down right rude and dispareging remarks.