I Need A Reason To Tell My Vets That I Only Want A C3 For 16 Wk Lily

Bow Wow

Am taking Miss Lily for her 16 week vac at 10am, I have requested a C3 on advice from my Breeder. The vet nurse, question me as to why I dont want the kennel cough, and I told her that she wont ever be kenneled, plus my breeder advised me that she should only have C3.

She said that I will have to talk to the vet, and that often breeders think they know more then vets. :confused:

So now I have to come up with a good reason for not getting the C5.

Quick answers would be much appreciated. :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason would be " because I don't want her to have it" but personally I would recommend getting it. I've had to nurse numerous dogs through KC and it varies from being very mild to one dog who nearly died from it.

Well if my vet refused to accept a decision I had made I would be finding a new vet personally. It is your dog afterall so it should be your choice what you want to put in their body. Just tell them you have your reasons, you are not going into it blind as you have done the research and spoken to knowledgeable dog people, and you have decided not to give your dog the additional vaccine.

Umm... off the top of my head the biggest reason why most people don't bother with the kennel cough is that it only protects against one or two particular strains and your dog could still contract any of the other strains. In saying that, the KC up the nose vaccine is the only one that I give to my dogs past their puppy vacs, because we are trialling almost every weekend so they come in contact with plenty of other dogs. I titre test for the other main things to check they are still immune.

The reason would be " because I don't want her to have it" but personally I would recommend getting it. I've had to nurse numerous dogs through KC and it varies from being very mild to one dog who nearly died from it.

Thank you it is good to hear other opinions :) . My main reason is I hate all the chemicals that are going into dogs, and have read that it *may* lead to a suppressed immune system. :confused:

Well if my vet refused to accept a decision I had made I would be finding a new vet personally. It is your dog afterall so it should be your choice what you want to put in their body. Just tell them you have your reasons, you are not going into it blind as you have done the research and spoken to knowledgeable dog people, and you have decided not to give your dog the additional vaccine.

Umm... off the top of my head the biggest reason why most people don't bother with the kennel cough is that it only protects against one or two particular strains and your dog could still contract any of the other strains. In saying that, the KC up the nose vaccine is the only one that I give to my dogs past their puppy vacs, because we are trialling almost every weekend so they come in contact with plenty of other dogs. I titre test for the other main things to check they are still immune.

Great information! :)

:eek: where have I been, I didn't know you had a new puppy she looks gorgeous! Is there a thread with pics somewhere?

Did your breeder give you reasons why she should not have it? After Cooper had his he had a severe reaction (face swelled up couldn't breath properly) I was reluctant to give it to my other 3 but they were all fine. After seeing a few shocking cases of KC I had to give it. 2 of mine have had a very mild case caught off another dog.

Am taking Miss Lily for her 16 week vac at 10am, I have requested a C3 on advice from my Breeder. The vet nurse, question me as to why I dont want the kennel cough, and I told her that she wont ever be kenneled, plus my breeder advised me that she should only have C3.

She said that I will have to talk to the vet, and that often breeders think they know more then vets. :confused:

So now I have to come up with a good reason for not getting the C5.

Quick answers would be much appreciated. :)

The fact that all you want is a C3 is reason enough. You are the dogs owner and you call the shots

While I agree that it is your choice, I think it is good that vets question/consult people so that they make informed decisions and not just do something because someone (whether they be a vet or a breeder) told them not to.

Mine only get the parvo vacc once every 3 years now, but KC annually. My vet spoke to me at length about my decision (1/2 an hour phone call, no charge but I would have been happy to pay him a consult fee for his time). Once he was happy that I understood pros and cons he was happy to sign the vaccs certificate.

If you have insurance and your dog has complications from KC (and on a weekend you might be out of pocket $1000+) be aware that they'd most probably refuse your claim.

You do not need a reason. You are not sitting an exam. It is your choice. If they cannot respect your wishes, change vet. I personally will not use any vet that tries to persuade me one way or the other. Vets are there to offer all options, advise, diagnose and administer etc, not to require you give them the right answer to allow you out of vaccination.

From my experience the kind of clients that vets try to be persuasive with are the ones that are not assertive, decisive or knowledgable. What I mean by this is if you are up in the air about a lot of the things discussed between yourself and your vet and always asking for their opinion and advice, because they will believe it is best, then they possibly feel that they owe it to you to talk you into it... I am not sure I have explained that properly.

I suggest you tell them you have some definite ideas about some things when it comes to your dogs and medications/vaccinations and you do not wish to be coersed into doing something you do not want to, nor should they make you feel guilty about your decision.

Added, I am not advocating not vaccinating against kennel cough nor am I bagging out vets. I respect both vaccinations and vets, but clients are entitled to have their decision respected by vets also.

Edited by dyzney

You do not need a reason. You are not sitting an exam. It is your choice. If they cannot respect your wishes, change vet. I personally will not use any vet that tries to persuade me one way or the other. Vets are there to offer all options, advise, diagnose and administer etc, not to require you give them the right answer to allow you out of vaccination.

From my experience the kind of clients that vets try to be persuasive with are the ones that are not assertive, decicsive or knowledgable. What I mean by this is if you are up in the air about a lot of the things discussed between yourself and your vet and always asking for their opinion and advice, because they will believe it is best, then they possibly feel that they owe it to you to talk you into it... I am not sure I have explained that properly.

I suggest you tell them you have some definite ideas about some things when it comes to your dogs and medications/vaccinations and you do not wish to be coersed into doing something you do not want to, nor should they make you feel guilty about your decision.

Added, I am not advocating not vaccinating against kennel cough nor am I bagging out vets. I respect both vaccinations and vets, but clints are entitled to have their decision respected by vets also.

This is very good advice.

The only thing I would add, is that unlike the diseases the C3 vaccinates for, KC can be a pain, but is rarely a serious problem unless there are other underlying health issues in the dog. So while someone may not agree with an owner not vaccing for KC, it's not the kind of thing reasonable vet is going to argue with because the consequences are highly unlikely to be serious. I would expect a reasonable vet to argue with someone who was planning to use homeopathy instead of a parvo vacc because that IS negligent behaviour by the owner.

What dyzney said. You don't need to reason. It's what you want, the vets has to respect that decision. It's ok if they voice their opinion and reasons, but it's should be ok for you to disagree with it too.

There are things I disagree with my vets on, they aren't happy about it, but they always respect it.

Okay, quick opinion here (it is MY opinion but you have to decide for yourself).

A few years ago I went along and had the C5 on my puppy ... puppy NEVER stopped having sniffles (this was the up the nose one) and this went on for months and months, in fact just over a year. In the meantime I only had the C3 with my other pup's - no sniffles, no KC. That decided me to not have the C5 (there are so many variations of KC but the vaccine can only cover a couple of the most common variations).

Having said that, I have now not used C5 for more than 7 years and even though we show regularly we have not (touch wood) had KC in our kennels at all.

My vet respects my choice on what I vaccinate my "kids" with as he was the one who gave the C5 and saw the difference with MY kids, also as he has never had me there with KC with any of them either (to date).

At the end of the day, what you do re vaccination is YOUR CHOICE and your vet should respect this (again IMO).

My dog was always vaccinated with the puff in the nose one,for 9 of her 10 years .Then a vet talked me out of it saying she did'nt need it.even though i told him we lived next door to dog breeders.The following year she got kennel cough and died.

As a breeder I recommend only a C3 - Fact is the kennel cough vaccine only does some strains and the risk factors for an ordinary family pet are minimal.

Too minimal in my opinion to warrant giving another chemical. As an owner you should listen to your vet and make informed decisions based on what you think are the risk factors and what is best for your dog.

If you decide that the risk doesnt equal the need for the vaccine then its your right to say no thanks.

If that isnt taken with a good grace and you are made to feel bad about making your own decisions - go to another vet.

I am another that only uses C3- and my dogs do come into contact with Kennel cough regularly. They are otherwise healthy and I have never had a problem with them contracting it.

I would probably reassess when the get old, or have a concurrent disease. That being said my vet does the C3, then I duck back in two weeks later have have the intranasal KC so that they do not get overloaded all at once, giving the dog a better chance of having good responses to all components.