Puppy On Heat

melstar-36

hi, i have 2 king charles at home, they are only puppies and i have brought them with the intention if all health test and temperament is right, to breed when the time is right. i was going to ring our local vets but its a bit late so i will ring in the morning.

i thought i had more time to prepare for this, but ive just discovered that my 6 month old puppy is coming into season :eek: i didnt reliase that this was evan possiable. and i also have a male who is only 17 weeks old. ive seperated them instantly but oscar seems to be having a hard time, without his campanion. is it evan possiable for my oscar to be fertile at such a young age? just curious as to whether they can play together supervised. dutchess ( my girl) has doggie panties on so he cant get to her but i dont want to take the chance, if he could be fertile.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 months is perfectly normal for coming into season.

Your dog is hitting adolescence and her body is readying itself for adulthood.

People will come along with some better advice than I have to give, but doggy panties aren't going to do squat if the dog is keen, they are only sanitary garments to stop your house becoming dirty.

Hey, yeah that sounds around the right time for yor girl to start her season. I haven't owned boy puppies to know when they are ready, but if i was you i wouldn't be taking the risk. Keep her for a male you know will do her justice :) And let her mature a bit more as well, shes still a baby!! :)

Males are usually not fertile until 5-6 months but I do know of two 4 month old males that managed to mate with their own mothers. They were both Belgian Shepherds, but I still wouldn't be taking any chances with your puppy. He may as well start getting used to the fact that he cannot run with your girl when she is in season now. He may not suit her as a mate when he matures and even if her does they will not be breeding every season. If you own entire males and females, separating them during seasons, goes with the territory. Try crating them next to each other.

yes they both are pedigrees on main register, i am a registered breeder and i tryed putting them next to each other but my boy just sulks evan more. but id rather not take the risk, of any mishaps happening. thanks for all the feedback, and yes. she still is baby and she will not be breed or not at all, untill she is 2 and same with my boy, and all is well and they are a suitable pair. im only new to be a registered breeder but i have plenty of support and a great mentor. my nan is a registered breeder of pembroke corgi's for over 30 years and i also work at dog boarding kennels.

Did you end up buying King Charles Spaniels instead of Cavaliers? Yes 6 months old is quite normal for a toy breed to come in season. It sounds like you might need to do rather a lot more research ;)

Yes, 6 months is very normal for a first season. As you are going to be keeping them entire, now is a very good time to start teaching your dogs to be separated. It is something you should be teaching them not just when she is in season so they are used to it. You are not going to want to breed every season (and she will have a lot more seasons than she will litters - and you may not want to mate her to him even when she does have a litter) so it is something they are going to have to get used to. He is only 15 weeks so likely at the moment it is only the separation that is really worrying him - as it is not what he is used to. Still keep him separated -while he may not be fertile at this age extra caution is always recommended as dogs can surprise you and either way it is good practice for you and them. When he gets older and his hormones kick in then the real fun begins. Males will often cry and whinge and try to get to the bitch and go off their food. This can go on for days (and nights). Those bitch pants as already mentioned are only for sanitary reasons. In no way should you be relying on them for birth control! Crate training will be useful if you are not doing it already. You will need a separate crate for each of them.

Edited by espinay2

Hehe, thanks Doggeek - very tech geeky savvy of you. Yeah I know the breed profile, wanted to see pics of her two if they are indeed King Charles Spaniels. ;)

Hmmm - I can see why you are doubtful - seems very strange to me that a Registered breeder knows so little about dog behavior.

Hehe, thanks Doggeek - very tech geeky savvy of you. Yeah I know the breed profile, wanted to see pics of her two if they are indeed King Charles Spaniels. ;)

Hmmm - I can see why you are doubtful - seems very strange to me that a Registered breeder knows so little about dog behavior.

Agrred how does one get to be a registered breeder without knowing basic husbandary facts????

live in SA, where the only pre-requisite to get a prefix is to pay your money and fill in a form with name preferences.

The OP seems to be in Victoria, where I believe there is some sort of exam (I got my prefix nearly 20 years ago, so I'm not up with the latest requirements)

Melstar was asking about Cavaliers in a previous post so I was a bit surprised they have two King Charles now. That's why I was asking....

Yes, Gretel, I noticed that too - very puzzling.

:offtopic: for a numpty like me, what is the difference between King Charles & Cavalier? I see/hear a lot of people talk as though they are one breed (usually the same ones who say Maltese TERRIER :laugh: ).

there is a breeders exam to get a prefix in Vic....still doesnt mean they know anything, just that they can find the answers, its open book. I doubt it covers things like what to do with your male dog or your PAIR that you are not ready to breed with. From what I understand it is more technical things and not the common sense things that you learn from being around breeders

The main difference that really stands out to me is their faces. The King charles has a really squished in face.

A lot of people used to book in their dogs to be groomed and used to say "I have a king Charles". Most of the time it was a cav, until one day I nearly dropped from shock when a lady walked in with a king charles. It was gorgeous and it also seemed a lot more reserved than the outgoings cavs I normally did.

The main difference that really stands out to me is their faces. The King charles has a really squished in face.

A lot of people used to book in their dogs to be groomed and used to say "I have a king Charles". Most of the time it was a cav, until one day I nearly dropped from shock when a lady walked in with a king charles. It was gorgeous and it also seemed a lot more reserved than the outgoings cavs I normally did.

Thanks for that - are they the same size? I've just had a look at some of the KC listings here on DOL & they do look quite different in the face. I've only ever seen Cavaliers IRL.

i think that king charles spaniels are smaller than Cavaliers as well

from memory those beautiful spaniels that you see in old english paintings are king charles spaniels :)