Neighbour's Dog On Heat

W Sibs

My neighbour has a female Shih Tzu that's entire and currently in heat. I'm looking after my aunt's dog, who's also entire. He really really wants to get over to her and it's driving me insane!! The barking, whinging, drooling (??) and howling.

Lucky we have a 7 foot colorbond fence, the neighbour and I made sure that the dog can't dig his way under the fence, I removed anything near the fence in case the dog has a desire to jump over the fence. I have him penned inside the house when I can't supervise him. Neighbour keeps his little girl in the house when he knows I'm at work.

Is it Saturday yet?

:rofl: *sigh*

ETA: this post is done due lack of sleep :laugh:

Edited by CW EW

I'd say his but I've only had one bitch that has gone on heat so maybe someone with more experience may think different. There is an entire male over our back fence and random dogs that wander the steets ( :mad ) so when Juno was on heat she was NEVER outside unsupervised and I also advised the neighbours with the entire male that she was on heat. She is the only dog I've ever had go through a heat and when I was reading up on what to do it pretty much said don't rule out anything as impossible when it comes to what a dog will do to get to a bitch in heat so I just didn't leave anything to chance.

Edited by Sezz

he is real protective of her, so i think it will be alright.

I was wondering, if something did happen... who's fault would it be?

It's great to hear that the owner is being responsible and trying to help out by taking his dog indoors when he can. Unfortunately if a dog in your care escapes your yard and enters your neighbours yard it would be your responsibility not his as it is your legal responsibility to keep dogs in your care or ownership contained in your own yard. Although I presume he would have to take you to court for damages regarding his bitch being impregnated as council could not do anything about that :)

What breed is your Aunts dog? Do you think it could jump the fence?

Yeah. I'm being more careful with him. He gets crated every night, he gets pen if I don't have time to supervise him. He is let out in the backyard when I go with him. When I'm at work, she's inside her house. I usually give the neighbour a holler when I'm home though but they know when they hear my voice because I talk to my dogs a lot.

It's great to hear that the owner is being responsible and trying to help out by taking his dog indoors when he can. Unfortunately if a dog in your care escapes your yard and enters your neighbours yard it would be your responsibility not his as it is your legal responsibility to keep dogs in your care or ownership contained in your own yard. Although I presume he would have to take you to court for damages regarding his bitch being impregnated as council could not do anything about that :)

What breed is your Aunts dog? Do you think it could jump the fence?

He is a mutt x mongrel... I dunno. He is a weird looking dog. I think he has Maltese and poodle in him but other stuff too.

I'm not too worried about him jumping the fence, but more worried that he can hurt himself trying

IMO it is the owner of the bitch on heat who is responsible for keeping her in a secure place where dogs cannot get to her. Myabe this is not legally correct - but it is the owner of the bitch that will have the problem!!

Edited by buddy1

IMO it is the owner of the bitch on heat who is responsible for keeping her in a secure place where dogs cannot get to her. Myabe this is not legally correct - but it is the owner of the bitch that will have the problem!!

BOTH would be at fault.

The bitch owner for not keeping her safe (even if in her own yard)

The dog owner/carer for not keeping him in his yard.

Some dogs will do what ever is possible to get to a bitch in season - same with the bitch, not all have lovely manners - some actually go looking for it!

Edited by Andisa

I have no idea why my aunt's dog is not desexed. I've suggested it to her family before and they said they will, but never end up doing it. i have no idea why my neighbour's dog is not desexed either.

A person is allowed to own an entire bitch and have her in season in their backyard. In an ideal world no dogs would get in to mate her, but that will never happen.

If a male gets into a bitches backyard they are at fault and I would be sending them to the pound rather quickly.

I have entire dogs of both sexes and we manage with very little worries apart from the fact they cannot both be on my lap at once so someone is always moaning they are missing out. When in the dog runs mine are kept beside each other and they never go off off thier food, bark, whinge or carry on they are reasonably the same as normal. My male is rather highly sexed as in give him a second! and well.........but he never humps unless a bitch is in season or has any issues.

I would suggest if he gets that worried he should be desexed, which of course won't help in this instance but should in the long run.

Get the dog desexed and when your aunt rocks up to get the dog, shout "SURPRISE!" and hand her the bill :rofl:

:thumbsup::rofl:

Yep great idea, desex another persons property while they are away. The dog is not the OP's to do with as she please and if minding the dog is a problem, due to it being entire then perhaps a boarding kennel might be a better solution, for the next trip away.

Owners have every right to keep their dogs and bitches entire, providing they are responsible.

Sure, because I fully expected CW EW to actually desex her aunt's dog.. NOT!! :p

Besides, she said in this thread that the aunt intended to desex her dog anyways, but never got around to it. :shrug:

No plan on desexing my aunt's dog. Not my place to do it or organise it.

The dog won't be good in a boarding kennel. Lots of fear issues, but he really likes me. He is my shadow. I normally don't mind having him around, but it's just bad timing that my neighbour's dog went into heat and unfortunately he is not desexed.

It's only for a week and I'm just tired, so I'm whinging.