Do Breeders Like To Hear From Their Sold Puppies?

Guest _MADCAT_

I love to hear from my puppy people. I tell them it is a reuirement for them to keep in touch with me.

I sold a beautiful Bullmastiff boy to a lady back in NZ who had an autistic daughter. This puppy bonded to the girl so much but sadly as there was no male role model in the human house he became quite protective of all the females.

After no contact for a little while and with me emailing to ask how Tyson was going the last contact I had was from the Bullmastiff Club to tell me that the owner was trying to find him a new home because she was moving to the South Island. She never even contacted me and I know she had my details. I phoned I emailed, I got a Club rep to go around to visit but sadly I dont know what happened. I would of taken him back in a heartbeat.

All my other puppy people I have contact with.

Edited by Bullbreedlover

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some do, some don't.

Just as some puppy buyers like to have an ongoing relationship with the breeder of their dog and some resent the idea that they have to do anything but pony up the cash for the dog. The whole "I want a dog, not a relationship" thing is pretty common.

The key thing is to ensure you pick a breeder whose values around this stuff match yours. And if you happen to mismatch, then there is always the breed chat threads to talk about your pride and joy.

I just sent the breeder of my Cavalier an email and a pic of him..she loved it and asked if she could include it on her new website ..I of course said yes. So generally breeders love to hear from their puppy owners...anything could be happening to prevent them answering you..but I do hope you hear soon.

Both my breeders love to hear how the dogs are going. I catch up at a few shows with them too when I can either get down to Vic or down southern NSW way. They are always interested in results and how they are going. I'm FB friends with Flynnys sires breeders in the US and they love to see how hes going too.

Frank is gorgeous BTW!

The breeder I got my 2 girls from as adults.....often asks, 'How are my girls?' No, that's no confusion in ownership. :)

I am just so pleased to hear it. Because it was how she raised my girls that makes them, not just beautiful, but the loveliest-natured little creatures, who are so calm & confident about everything. When people admire them, I always say that they came like that! :)

Recently I got an up close look at the very opposite of raising puppies & treating the adult dogs....a spot of puppy farming.

I got compelled to write to my girls' breeder & thank her all over again.

I had a similar experience with my Staffy Kiara's breeder. I emailed her twice with photos and updates, but never heard back from her. I was a bit confused and disappointed because she encouraged me to give her updates and she even cried a bit when we left with Kiara. Maybe the emails didn't go through? I would have loved to keep in touch with her though.

We bought our first two dogs before internet was mainstream and thus didn't get to keep in touch with their breeders. We did try to Google Casper's breeder but with no luck :( I did want to let her know that he lived a very long and happy 14 years after he recently passed. I had hoped she would appreciate knowing how thankful we were to have him in our lives; he was a joyful member of our family...Sadly that's not to be.

This time round, Wilbur's breeder sends us regular updates and we'll send her regular updates of his progress. Additionally I have a website where I will be adding a 'Wilbur's Blog' page so that Wilbur can blog about his adventures and his breeder can read all about it. I'm considering giving the website address to the breeder so she can share it with Wilbur's sisters' families so Wilbur's sisters can read all about his adventures :idea:

Our first dog came from our next door neighbour (he was from what would be called back yard breeder) so she always kept in touch to see how he was going and let us know how his litter mates were doing too, he lived to be the oldest out of the litter.

Bought my first dog from a registered breeder and have to say she's been fantastic :) had some initial problems and she was on the phone trying to help, consulting her vet, loves photo updates (and shares all the litter on facebook) and we also go over for visits. I'm very happy that she's given me the privilege of having such a nice pup and that she's not one to end the relationship once cash changed hands.

My boys breeder is usually pretty busy, I e-mail her some photos, then a month or so later I will get a reply back that leaves me wondering "Now what did I send her again?"

She loves getting updates, she just looks at them thinks 'I'll have to reply to that one later' then forgets. :rofl:

Edited by Shaar

We keep in contact with the breeders our babies came from, the breeder who owns the Sire to our litter also like to hear from us how our boys are doing. the lovely people who inherited our baby boys are very happy to send us updates & we do answer their emails.

We had one come back for a visit, while his owners were overseas, :D

When we placed our boys in their new homes we also offered to look after them if their carers were going away & cant take the little tackers along :D

We miss our boys & are pleased to hear on their milestones ok I am getting a little soppy here :cry: sorry guys

I love to hear back from my puppy people and the only 2 litters I've bred are now 9 and 7 years old. I still keep in touch with Pennys breeder and I've had Penny for 12 years. Happily it's usually him who calls me and we talk for at least an hour.

when i get into breeding i am hoping ym puppy buyers will keep me updated and that they will feel free to email or phone me any time for help if they need it as well..

I have a similar issue with my bitches breeder.. she hardly ever emails me back any more.. i wont be going back to her in the future i know that much..

the breeders arent doing themselves any favours cos i know that if anyone asks who to talk to to get a pup from i now recommend other breeders that i know.

One of my dog's Breeder barely replied to my e-mails, even ones with questions or letting them know of health problems.

One of my other dogs the Breeder is great, is always there for a chat and advice and loves seeing photos and getting updates about the dog.

Kenzie's breeder loves to hear her adventures. I don't send emails often, but always eventually get a response to everything I send (usually it's only a week later or sooner).

Emma got to meet her breeder about 2 months ago, after 12 years having not known where each other were. I'm really glad they got to "see" (Em was blind!) each other one last time seeing as she was PTS on Tuesday. I let her breeder know and I think she was glad to know.

I think if someone is a good breeder they see each puppy as one of their babies, and I know that I would want to know what was going on with my babies. I still get updates about my foster kittens I rehomed last year and I love it!! But it is nice to at least get a "thanks for the update" reply.

I had the sad task this week of emailing the breeder I bought my first Australian Shepherd from to let her know our beloved boy had gone to the bridge, at the young age of 4. She replied immediately, in shock and to thank me for giving him such a fantastic home. She said she was crying too. I hope never to have to write an email like that again.

My poor breeder gets way too many questions from me but she always replies. Sometimes I wonder if I drive her mad. :o:laugh:

If I ever decide to breed, I will be very excited to get emails from my puppy buyers. I think staying in contact is important. :)

One of our litters just turned 1 year old, so I sent out my obligatory Happy Birthday message to my babies and requested new photos of the now "adult" pups.

I got one response straight away with pics and I am seeing one of the other girls next Friday when she is hip and elbow xrayed and spayed.

I hope to get a response from the owners of the third girl soon.

Any pics I get I put up onto the gallery on my website (so long as the are clear).

We try to keep in contact with our puppies but understand that people are busy and sending us updates is long on their priority list.

From our last litter, whoa re now only 21 weeks, we have one family that rings us about every 3 week just to thank us for selling them their puppy! :D

When I bought my puppy the breeder asked if I could send him a photo of my German Shepherd when he turns 1 year old. I went further and kept sending him photos straight after my puppy settled in with us. The breeder even visited my dog in our house. He also offered to train him for free (as he said he was starting a course how to be a dog trainer).

I took my 8 months old puppy to the vet and was told he had one undescended testicle.

When talking with the breeder I informed him of this (not expecting anything from him: refund or another puppy). The breeder asked me after several months if the testicle was stil "undescended" and I answered "Yes". After that call I haven't heard from him inspite of having sent him photos and updates. Why? I was so disappointed! I love my dog so much, but would never buy another puppy from that breeder.