When Did That Happen - Facebook On Dol Profile Pages

SwaY

Facebook like button on profiles  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like having a FaceBook Like button on the DOL dog profiles?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A

I should have checked the last post before scanning Shimmer's profile with a magnifying glass looking for the d*mn facebook button :laugh:

me too :laugh:

that photo needs to photoshop out the flag hanging from Shimmer's tummy though

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee you are quick to spot it.

It has now been fully implemented on the profiles. It is switched off by default. You can switch it on by editing the profile and selecting the relevant option.

The Facebook Likes and Google+ will be added to various parts of the site over the next week. As much as I do not like facebook, I need to get 'with it' or be left behind as facebook is a big part of the dog community. Google+ is also important as it will influence Google search results over time.

I understand why, perfectly well, but it is going to add another dimension to show politics along with the DOL pointscore

Thanks for the feedback.

I am willing to look at it further and not implement it, if you can convince me with a logical argument that it is going to make the so-called 'politics' any worse.

At the moment, dog people put their dog's wins and photos on facebook and others 'like' it or comment on it. How is having a link on the profile any different if somebody want to optionally[/] put it the link on the profile and sombody who is a facebook member wants to optionally 'like' it? It may not make it better but how is it going to make it worse?

As to the comment that is is going to make it easy for someone to rubbish your dog .... If they are going to rubbish your dog they can easily do that now by either taking the photo of your dog and posting it to facebook or just adding a link to the profile in their post. How is having a 'like' button on the profile going to make things worse? To me it will maintain the status quo.

As I previously said, I am not a fan of facebook but the dog world itself is a big fan and I need to embrace that or be left behind.

Re the pointscore, there will be some small changes made to it next year which will appease some people but it will still be running :)

Re the pointscore, there will be some small changes made to it next year which will appease some people but it will still be running :)

Can't wait to find out what the new rules are going to be !

same here :) might encourage me to participate once again ....

Edited by Dellcara

Guest CaptainCourageous

I don't know what to think of the new feature, but I do know that this thread is a reminder for developers to inform users before they implement potentially sensitive changes.

CC

same here :) might encourage me to participate once again ....

Dog Show Poop has two scoring systems, AKC and there own it's interesting to see the difference in rankings.

You can see this on each side of the page - only the top 2 dogs have the same ranking in both systems.

HERE

Thanks for the feedback.

I am willing to look at it further and not implement it, if you can convince me with a logical argument that it is going to make the so-called 'politics' any worse.

At the moment, dog people put their dog's wins and photos on facebook and others 'like' it or comment on it. How is having a link on the profile any different if somebody want to optionally[/] put it the link on the profile and sombody who is a facebook member wants to optionally 'like' it? It may not make it better but how is it going to make it worse?

As to the comment that is is going to make it easy for someone to rubbish your dog .... If they are going to rubbish your dog they can easily do that now by either taking the photo of your dog and posting it to facebook or just adding a link to the profile in their post. How is having a 'like' button on the profile going to make things worse? To me it will maintain the status quo.

As I previously said, I am not a fan of facebook but the dog world itself is a big fan and I need to embrace that or be left behind.

I think it is an excellent idea.. when will it start working ? :)

I understand why, perfectly well, but it is going to add another dimension to show politics along with the DOL pointscore

Bingo! Terrible idea.

what they said...but I understand having to keep up with technology..

Bingo! Terrible idea.

what they said...but I understand having to keep up with technology..

if people (judges) are looking at DOL profiles already I can't see what difference it would make ....

Personally, for me, I don't like that this forum, which is kept relatively politics free, can be cross posted to facebook, where there are definitely no boundaries.

I don't want my posts in here able to be shared in another forum without me making a decision to post there.

I understand the need to keep up, and I don't think that having the dogs profiles being able to be shared on facebook is necessarily a really bad thing, (although I don't like it) but I think that having topics and threads from the forum being able to be shared on Facebook is a bad thing.

but you can do exactly the same thing by copying the link and posting it?

but then people at least have to go to the trouble to click on the link to read it. Can see alot of user names changing in a hurry.

Personally, for me, I don't like that this forum, which is kept relatively politics free, can be cross posted to facebook, where there are definitely no boundaries.

I don't want my posts in here able to be shared in another forum without me making a decision to post there.

I understand the need to keep up, and I don't think that having the dogs profiles being able to be shared on facebook is necessarily a really bad thing, (although I don't like it) but I think that having topics and threads from the forum being able to be shared on Facebook is a bad thing.

You obviously don't visit facebook much. Topics on here are regularly cross posted and discussed already.

You obviously don't visit facebook much. Topics on here are regularly cross posted and discussed already.

I use facebook all the time and have only seen the odd topic crossed over, and only very recently. I am obviously not political enough, or, more truthfully, am not "friends" with the "right" people :laugh:

I don't see this as particularly harmful or anything fundamentally new. A DOL dog profile is by its nature a very public document, that's the whole point of having it. I'm assuming that the photos a person uses on their dog's DOL profile are the best they can find of their dog because of this.

Likewise I am assuming that any showie will not be posting unflattering pictures of their dog or unflattering information anywhere public - DOL or otherwise. DOL has been and still is heavily scrutinised by show people who never post here. When we post there are a lot of people quietly watching and working out whether they'd work with us/sell a dog/whatever on the basis of what we post and Facebook links doesn't change that. The sighthound thread already gets a number of "guests" reading it, particularly when something gossip worthy might be happening. I get PMs from people who don't post when that stuff happens too. We'd be silly to think we weren't already being watched and links sent around.

IME, if people are going to be actively destructive they are more likely to use pictures taken by show paparrazi because those pictures you can't control. If they are using pictures you've uploaded, then perhaps it's worth considering whether you should have uploaded them.

FB is self policing to an extent too because it is so public, it's the sly emails behind your back that do the most damage.