Vomit Inducing Drug For The House

Tonight I had to rush my dog to the vet because he ate 4 grapes - and I wasn't about to take any chances. Once at the vet, they gave him something to induce vomiting, and we're now back home albeit $130 poorer, but hopefully healthy.

It made me think though, given there are times when what you is to make your dog throw up, and the faster they throw up the better, is there anything I can have in my home for the next time something like this happens?

Tonight I had to rush my dog to the vet because he ate 4 grapes - and I wasn't about to take any chances. Once at the vet, they gave him something to induce vomiting, and we're now back home albeit $130 poorer, but hopefully healthy.

It made me think though, given there are times when what you is to make your dog throw up, and the faster they throw up the better, is there anything I can have in my home for the next time something like this happens?

Peroxide from the supermarket (not the hairdressers)3% strength in the brown plastic bottle. 1 teaspoon for a 5kg dog given by mouth.

Yes, several options. Precautions too, though. Never make a dog vomit anything caustic, it will cause as much damage coming back up as it did going down. Never make them vomit if they're unco-ordinated or unconscious, or there is a chance for any other reason that they might aspirate their vomit, as this can be deadly. And remember even if they have vomited, they will only have vomited (at best) 2/3 of whatever they ate - if they have eaten something dangerous then you still need to get them to the clinic for further supportive treatment.

With those precautions, washing soda, a pinch at the back of the tongue, is the best household emetic. This is not washing powder, by the way, it's different. It isn't totally benign, in rare cases can cause burns to the throat, however I know several people who have used this successfully after their dogs ate bait in the bush. Only ever use a pinch.

Your vet clinic will have several other options. Apomorphine tabs are effective and safe and are what I personally use and carry in the bush, but are prescription only. One tab goes into the corner of the eye, hold the lid closed until it dissolves, then wash out with sterile saline when the dog has vomited.

Peroxide from the supermarket (not the hairdressers)3% strength in the brown plastic bottle. 1 teaspoon for a 5kg dog given by mouth.

YES!! I swear by this, I had to use it the other week after my dog ate a corn cob!

Nice gentle vomit.

YES!! I swear by this, I had to use it the other week after my dog ate a corn cob!

Nice gentle vomit.

Good work! And well spotted! How much did you have to use (I'm thinking litres :laugh:)

Nice gentle vomit.

Good work! And well spotted! How much did you have to use (I'm thinking litres :laugh:)

50kg dog I used 20mls, then walked him around for 5min, then another 20mls and within 2-3min a vomit and the offending corn cob!

It sounds strange but it was a very gentle vomit, no major heaving etc - just a nice gentle vomit.

Nice gentle vomit.

50kg dog I used 20mls, then walked him around for 5min, then another 20mls and within 2-3min a vomit and the offending corn cob!

It sounds strange but it was a very gentle vomit, no major heaving etc - just a nice gentle vomit.

It does sound strange! But I think I know what you mean. A very good tip and easier to syringe in peroxide than pour in Lectric Crystals for a large struggling dog perhaps.

It does sound strange! But I think I know what you mean. A very good tip and easier to syringe in peroxide than pour in Lectric Crystals for a large struggling dog perhaps.

I agree, I just syringed in the peroxide.

Another vote here for the Hydrogen Peroxide. I used it (on vet advice via phone) when a dog had eaten rat bait and we were about 150km from nearest vet. It was very effective, took about 10 minutes, then lots of green vomit!