Vomit Inducing Drug For The House

Hydrogen Peroxide here - also good for cuts etc.

The problem with "very salty water" is that the sodium absorbs into the body. As vomiting tends to dehydrate the dog, you do not want added sodium in their system.

• 4 months later...

Do you give anything after using hydrogen peroxide which has resulted in vomiting? Or just give access to fresh water or a small meal to line the stomach? I'm thinking of any residual HP that might be in the stomach after they've finished vomiting.

I have lectric soda crystals in the cupboard just in case - haven't needed to use them yet though. Was thinking of putting some in a small bag and keeping it in a first aid kit in the car too just in case.

Do you give anything after using hydrogen peroxide which has resulted in vomiting? Or just give access to fresh water or a small meal to line the stomach? I'm thinking of any residual HP that might be in the stomach after they've finished vomiting.

I just offered a small drink of milk.

My Dally ate plastic bags at the beach (fish flavoured perhaps?) on 2 separate occasions. Vet was wonderful - poured the gunk down his throat, we took Zig outside so he could vomit, I helped clean it up and we were sent on our way no charge.

Wow what a generous vet. Our guy swallowed something so we took him to the vet. We waited out in the carpark as it was busy inside. The vet came out to the carpark and game him the gunk we sat there while he vomited it up and the vet brought us out a bill for $180 - i nearly had a heart attack! :eek:

i'd also not panic over just 4 grapes!

There's no set dose for how many grapes they need to be negatively affected - I just didn't want to take the chance - didn't seem worth the stress.

I know grapes are supposed to be dangerous to dogs but long before I ever heard this, my first BC used to eat all fruit including the grapes and passionfruit we had growing in the yard. The grapes were sour wine grapes that we never used and the dog would eat the entire crop and then chew the vine back each season. Never did him any harm at all.

We had to induce vomiting last night after the youngest decided to help the older dog eat his dinner while the OH wasn't looking. Problem was, the older dog had been given a tablet in his meal and we didn't know which dog had eaten it. To be on the safe side, junior was syringed with two tablespoons of HP and within a minute up came the dinner and offending tablet. Just about everywhere online recommended one teaspoon per 10 pounds body weight. For our imp, that equaled 10 teaspoons but we gave him two tablespoons (= 6 teaspoons) which had the desired effect. Afterwards we gave him a good drink followed by burnt toast (activated charcoal alternative). He nearly gave me a coronary last night but today he's right as rain.

There's no set dose for how many grapes they need to be negatively affected - I just didn't want to take the chance - didn't seem worth the stress.

I know grapes are supposed to be dangerous to dogs but long before I ever heard this, my first BC used to eat all fruit including the grapes and passionfruit we had growing in the yard. The grapes were sour wine grapes that we never used and the dog would eat the entire crop and then chew the vine back each season. Never did him any harm at all.

Years back I didn't know about grapes either & my 1st bc & our cross bred dog always helped themselves to the grapes that our lorikeet dropped. I used to even throw them a few on my way to the bird cage. Since having my 2nd bc I have used HP quite a few times for the things she's eaten. Works every time but she's now savvy to it when she sees the syringe & manages to spit most of it out.

+1

My dogs live on a 7 acre vineyard property. I know a lot of vintners who have dogs. No one reports problems. I expect my dogs eat hundreds of grapes a day during harvest season. Maybe as much as 500 g/day. The only problem I see is extra sugar/carbohydrates. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease! A few, and I'd say a VERY VERY few, dogs have problems with grapes.

Dogs are pretty good at puking when they need to.

Last year my Cavalier bitch ate a whole block of "Old Gold Rum 'n Raisin Dark Chocolate" !!

The Vets gave her two small crystals of 'Washing Soda' (Sodium Carbonate) I now always keep some on hand. Available in Supermarkets and Chemists.

Followed up with Activated Charcoal Tablets. Available at Health Food Stores.

Edited by LizT