Do You Have A Preference For A Certain Colour Within Your Breed ?

aussielover

well in goldens they are from cream to gold and anything in between and i have absolutly no preference what so ever!! provided they have correct temperament and are the type i love im happy!!

I have preferences in other dogs, i like the grey adn black poodles over other colours, i would prefer yellow or black i dont think i would get a chocolat in a hurry... only because working in a kennels i see alot of labs and u can definatly tell the quality just isnt there in the chocolates... and i dont like a coat that is prone to sun damage!! so red kelpies are out as well bahaha.. shelties i like sables and borders i like most colours, cattle dogs blue!... ummm bahah so on and so fourth... i dont see an issues in selecting and getting what u want yeh the breeder might think the red pup isnt a good fit for u then thats ok wait for a suitable red! dont ever get a black pup and try to accept that it really isnt what u wanted (i know this sounds like ur buying a product not an animal)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Black greyhounds can look really good if their coats are cared for properly (as opposed to the grotty brown colour they can go) but in foster dogs, I dread black greys because they take so long to rehome. Both of my current dogs are fawn parti and I've noticed that not only do they seem to drop more hair than the black dogs, their ears attract flies in the summer- they look okay but it's not a colour I'd choose if I had a choice.

Of all the colours available (black, blue, brindle, fawn and dun), I'd pick a good black or a dun (if I could ever find one). Fawn would be last on my list (I've seen some really unattractive fawn dogs, especially the ones with what looks like a bit of a mask) and that'd be followed by blue (I've seen a few nice blues but mostly they just look washed-out). Brindle would really depend on the colour. Fawn brindle can look nice but the darker brindles really don't appeal to me.

That said.. I'd pick a greyhound with a solid, friendly temperament over one with a colour I prefered but a dubious temperament. I've fostered some really stunning dogs who've had terrible temperaments and as far as I'm concerned, a dog you can live with is far more important than just a pretty dog.

I didn't pick my dogs for their colour.Stan is blue and definately doesn't look"washed out".He has a stunning coat that people comment on all the time.My little girl is white(as I said with a few brindle patches).After many foster dogs I chose my dogs for their personality NOT their colour.

I didn't pick my dogs for their colour.

Never said you did ;)

Stan is blue and definately doesn't look"washed out".He has a stunning coat that people comment on all the time

Preferences are usually based on experiences. Most blue dogs I've seen do look washed out and so it's not a colour I'd choose. I have no doubt there are some nice blues out there, it's just not for me.

I also really dislike greyhounds with amber eyes but again, it's just a personal preference and not an attack on anyone whose dog happens to have amber eyes.

Edited to add.. an example of the sort of thing I don't like- washed out colour and amber eyes.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1701042/466/Greyhound_Boscos_Choice-big.jpg

Edited by Hardy's Angel

My 3 current dogs all came from rescue and were all chosen based on breed and temperament, although I must admit I was alittle hesitant to adopt Raffy due to being all black and plain looking. Anna didn't sound that promising in her pound write up but I am rather partial to tri's so went to visit her anyway but may not have if not for her little tan points.

I am now looking at adding another BC to my dog family, a puppy from a breeder this time. I've looked around and found lines I really like, then looked at the upcomming breeding plans and choosen the litter with the parents I like the best. While there are certain colours/coat patterns in the breed which catch my eye more than others, honestly I don't care what colour my pup will be, or gender either, I do hope to get a puppy with a temperament suited for what I want (agility and herding) and structure that will allow the puppy to have a long, sound and hopefully sucessful performance life as well. My puppy mummy is pregnant now, due in a few weeks, really hope there is one in there for me! Can't wait :)

I didn't pick my dogs for their colour.

Never said you did ;)

Stan is blue and definately doesn't look"washed out".He has a stunning coat that people comment on all the time

Preferences are usually based on experiences. Most blue dogs I've seen do look washed out and so it's not a colour I'd choose. I have no doubt there are some nice blues out there, it's just not for me.

I also really dislike greyhounds with amber eyes but again, it's just a personal preference and not an attack on anyone whose dog happens to have amber eyes.

Edited to add.. an example of the sort of thing I don't like- washed out colour and amber eyes.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1701042/466/Greyhound_Boscos_Choice-big.jpg

Not only is Stan blue but he has amber eyes.I bet you'd love him if you met him. ;)

There are certain colours and shades of that I am drawn to across all different sorts of breed :)

Interestingly I had four cats a grey tabby, a white and grey, A Blue British and a grey and white..........and yes I do like blue dogs but tend to stay away fromt hem due to dilution issues etc.

I have had a brown Dobe and chose to wait for a black next time around. I didn't want a dog that I had to be worried about bleaching and sunburn.

When I put an order in for my first Whippet I asked for a female(now I really don't care less but we had always had girls)Fairly solid in colour so less chance of sunburn and didn't care what colour except for solid White which doesn't happen real often anyway.

I got a brindle and white trim girl - perfect :)

A Whippet colour I have always like is a blue brindle parti colour. When Lewis came up as looking for a home he was offered to me and temperment was much higher up there, just so happens he is a blue brindle parti colour - perfect :)

As for my next one temperment and conformation both highly important, must have correct sound construction, but I also want a dog sports dog so am after a particular temperment. colour is next as I don't want a white dog or one lacking pigment around eyes, testicles etc and the sex is last. I don't care what sex my next puppy is.

I do understand that some people have colour prefrences but if they would take the right colour when the temperment just wouldn't suit then I don't like that. Nothing comes to oder and I think flexability from a buyer is needed.

As for Whippets well any colour or markings are permissible. While I know I wouldn't say get a black, I could get a real mix of colours in a litter, kind like a lottery of colours and markings :D

When we got our poodle, I wanted black, we got a black female, when we chose our curly I would have preferred a black male, but was open to a liver boy. My old curly was a black boy and in my heart curlies should be black. Very happy with my black boy.

We were at one stage considering another poodle and would have preferred white. The only reason in this case was when one came to wake us in the middle of the night we knew which dog we were talking to.

You obviously don't know much about blues then, they are a dilute and can't not have a dark eye nor will there coat be that dark it almost looks black.

We've had a blue foster with brown eyes, picture is here.. http://greyhound-adoption.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=126080166 They might be genetically amber but the colour was very much brown (although that photo doesn't demonstrate it very well, it's just one of the few I still have of the dog in question).

Edited to add..

For comparison, regarding blues..

The light, washed out blue- http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1701042/466/Greyhound_Boscos_Choice-big.jpg

A darker blue- http://www3.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1344156/690/Greyhound_Tas_Blue_Ox-big.jpg and another.. http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1554497/324/Greyhound_Aero_Blue-big.jpg

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Not so much colour (generally liver or black in both breeds) but I can get caught up in markings, especially spotting in the Dally. I'm a sucker for beautiful coats and strong pigmentation. So it's with a heck of a lot of self discipline that I try to throw all that out the window. When I picked Em, there was very little difference in structure so it was all about personality and attitude. Fortunately I also loved her squiggly head marking.

In the line of Poodles I have had over the years I have only bred black or white/cream. I found that most puppy buyers wanted black (because they don't get dirty :laugh: ) but, strangely enough, I have found that the white/creams have a quite different personality from the blacks :shrug: and I prefer the lighter colours.

I love red and tan Kelpies with a nice mask. Hard to get in show lines but extremely common in the working lines so there was never a problem about compromising on temperament because of colour.

In the line of Poodles I have had over the years I have only bred black or white/cream. I found that most puppy buyers wanted black (because they don't get dirty :laugh: ) but, strangely enough, I have found that the white/creams have a quite different personality from the blacks :shrug: and I prefer the lighter colours.

That is so interesting - what sort of personality differences are there? I've often wondered if colour has anything to do with personality.

Edited by koalathebear

You obviously don't know much about blues then, they are a dilute and can't not have a dark eye nor will there coat be that dark it almost looks black.

We've had a blue foster with brown eyes, picture is here.. http://greyhound-adoption.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=126080166 They might be genetically amber but the colour was very much brown (although that photo doesn't demonstrate it very well, it's just one of the few I still have of the dog in question).

that's rights, genetically they are not brown. A dog with a dark eye is still dark even when in the sun. A dog with a dilute eye becomes much lighter when in the sun, then a dog with a non dilute eye.

I can't see the picture as I am using my phone, will check it tomorrow.

Yes, but with pits being allowed In so many different colours, I would have a hard time choosing :laugh:

but I'd have to say I've always had a soft spot for the all whites, followed by buckskin, blk/tan, black, and tri and also the moo moo pits (Pie Bald) :)

Off course everything else In the dog has to be considered as well

I more have colours I don't like in my breed of border collies. I don't like BCs with a lot of white, or merles or chocolates. I like black and white and black tri the best. I think due to the way the dark and light contrast. My 2 previous boys and my 2 current girls are black/white and I was holding out for a black tri girl but got Gael instead who is a dark blue/white. No blaze and spooky yellow eyes. Took a while to get used to her, and her appearance sometimes terrifies small children, I guess she looks like a small wolf. But in terms of temperament and personality she is the perfect dog for me :) After Gael, with my next BC puppy I am totally open to male/female/any colour.

With Pyreneans it is the pigment (dark eyerims, lips, roof of mouth etc) that is more important than the colour. Personally I have no real colour preference and will choose the dog over the markings or lack of them (even markings are preferred if they have them - but I have had off marked dogs before). Like many though when I started out I was positive that I wanted an all white one. That seems to be a common request with new puppy people. You do get some that want dark markings that will stay dark too, though that is less common. Neither is something a breeder can guarantee and I am yet to meet a Pyr breeder who has bred specifically to get either.

When I first became involved with the Dalmatians too, I did want only a black and white. Wasn't long before I came to love and appreciate the softer look of the livers as well. I saw a lot of new puppy folk too who only wanted a black and white as they were the 'real' Dalmatians :laugh: Similar situation to the 'all white' Pyrs I guess - you have folks coming in with no real knowledge and preconcieved ideas about what colour a breed 'should' be, but often when they learn more, they learn their original preference may not in fact be their preference at all.

As for a wider colour preference, I do prefer 'white' or 'light' colours in general (and funnily enough this translates across the board to other animal species including our cats, chickens and other livestock :laugh: ). I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I like to be able to clearly see and read the eyes which I find harder to do on all black dogs for example. That said, we do also currently have a black and tan dog :) .

Edited by espinay2

I would love a mantle great dane in the future and am willing to wait for a correctly marked mantle male from the right breeder but if my research (health, temperament, conformation and registered ethical breeder) points to a fawn when the time comes then I will be happy with a fawn. I would prefer a healthy, good looking dane from a great breeder in the "wrong" colour than have a poorly bred mantle from a dodgy breeder.

I have a Mantle...................want him? :laugh: :laugh:

You know I'd take him in a heartbeat :D

You know that while I have a heartbeat, there's never a chance of that? :D

Edited to add..

For comparison, regarding blues..

The light, washed out blue- http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1701042/466/Greyhound_Boscos_Choice-big.jpg

A darker blue- http://www3.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1344156/690/Greyhound_Tas_Blue_Ox-big.jpg and another.. http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1554497/324/Greyhound_Aero_Blue-big.jpg

Yep I can see what you mean about the washed out blue.

I love red and tan Kelpies with a nice mask. Hard to get in show lines but extremely common in the working lines so there was never a problem about compromising on temperament because of colour.

That is so interesting - what sort of personality differences are there? I've often wondered if colour has anything to do with personality.

The blacks tend to be more energetic & , sometimes, a bit stand-offish. The whites/creams are very laid-back & snuggly. This is something I have observed in ONE particular line of dogs which I have had for 30+ years, I don't say it's necessarily the case for ALL Standard Poodles. :D