Do You Have A Preference For A Certain Colour Within Your Breed ?

aussielover

Prospective Breed: Chow Chow

Colour Preference: Blue

However, temperament first! Especially in a breed with a not so great reputation.

Dislike the look of brindles in any breed (Just a personal preference)

Quite like the black and white 'cow' colouring in breeds that come in that sort of colour variation e.g. Harlequin Great Danes, Landseer Newfoundlands, etc.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My heart breed (Aussie Terrier) only comes in two colours: blue and tan and sandy/red, which makes picking a colour easy. Red/Sandy litters are Red/Sandy only and Blue/Tan litters are only Blue/Tan so you have to choose the breeder depending on what colour you prefer.

I definitely have a preference for Blue/Tan Aussies because I love the colour contrasts in the coat and although they're all great characters, I don't think I'd own a Sandy/Red because I love multi-coloured dogs!

In a line up or a picture of Aussies my eye is often drawn to the red merle first. I think nothing beats a GOOD red merle for me, however, when I breed a litter or select my next pup, conformation, health testing and personality are all further up the list than colour, and then if a red merle and a tri were the same in every other way, I'd pick the tri simply because there's more choice when breeding in the future, because merle to merle can produce deafness and eye issues in double merle pups.

After red merles I think it's a toss up between a black tri or a really dark red tri.

I would love a black bi colour (black and white) Aussie one day, but it's unlikely from the dogs and lines I like.

As for the Irish, they really only come in shades of red! I do prefer a rich red like Ruby, and especially her brother, over yellow reds but it's really no big deal. I would however pick a red without black shading over a red with black shading because our standard states that black shading is highly undesirable, but it is seen.

I wish there were more tri's being shown, a class full of quality tri's is a sight to behold. And I wish judges would realise that without tri's there'd be no breed quality.

The blacks have been doing ok down here, Chewy and Chime regularly pick up decent challenges and Chewy has BIGs and RuBIGs to his name. Plus Fleet the red tri got his title in a short period of time. I think more and more judges are happy to put them up. I would love a nice black tri male, but so would everyone! :laugh:

I prefer certain colours over others, but I wouldn't choose a puppy just because I liked it's colour. What I don't like is seeing breeders breed dogs just to produce a variety of colours and not taking anything else into consideration. Especially when the colours aren't even in the standard.

I started listing the BC colours I liked most, then I realised I was pretty much listing them all :laugh: But I do love black/whites, blue merles & tri-colours... oh and the chocolates!

In Goldens, I love the middle shade of gold (not cream, not red), what I don't like is the really white dogs.

I don't see anything wrong with having a colour preference, as long as that preference doesn't compromise your choice of puppy when choosing one that suits your home.(Eg, picking the energetic black dog because you wanted black, as opposed to the calm yellow dog that is much better suited to your family)

I prefer a black lab, but if a breeder was to say to me "this boy is yellow, but he is exceptional and will fit you perfectly" I wouldn't say no, and I wouldn't love the dog any less because of its colour.

In my breed ( Australian Shepherd's) my favourite colour is Black tri :thumbsup: luckily because I have 5 gorgeous black tri's, my next favourite is Blue merle I own 1 desexed girl & 1 desexed boy, next is Red Merle so far I have never owned 1 & my least favourite colour is Red tri, but I have recently bought 2 from the USA :laugh:

When it comes down to it I beleive there is no such thing as a good dog of a "bad" colour, so my choices have always been based on conformation rather than colour/markings.

As I said last time this topic came up, I like my wheatens to be wheaten and my kerries to be blue.

I met a Wheaten puppy a few weeks ago, he was at herding training. Gotta say, he didn't stay wheaten for long...we were ankle deep in mud and he quickly went dark brown. Cute as a button though, and he LOVED the sheepies! Had good instinct too.

As I said last time this topic came up, I like my wheatens to be wheaten and my kerries to be blue.

I met a Wheaten puppy a few weeks ago, he was at herding training. Gotta say, he didn't stay wheaten for long...we were ankle deep in mud and he quickly went dark brown. Cute as a button though, and he LOVED the sheepies! Had good instinct too.

Awww! Do you know what kennel he was from?

Awww! Do you know what kennel he was from?

No, all I know is his name was Quigley and his owners are Irish. I think they are from Melbourne, they came to Kate's place (Rozate) for a herding clinic. The pup was about 8 months old, he was gorgeous (a bit manic though). SOOOOOOOOO much energy! Much more than any of mine had at that age!

He sounds adorable! :) Our terriers have always been busier dogs/pups than my Aussies, but my Aussies are pretty chilled out.

hellier dog rescue - I hope you get your red merle!

Thanks Lyndsay :thumbsup: its actually looking fairly likely that I will have 1 sooner than I thought ;)

For my first main reg iggy I knew i wanted a blue bitch, and I was lucky enough to find one :) I know I hope to breed a black iggy one day. I like red iggies too(i have one), but really any colour iggy that is nicely marked looks pretty good to me. I actually didn't like he look of pied IGs initially but now I own a seal pied boy and i think hes stunning!

I think it's just human nature to have a preference for certain colours, just as we like the look of different breeds I suppose.

It worries me in my breed - which has all colours allowable in the standard - that some people may be so swayed by colour that they breed just for that and overlook other aspects of the dog.

We all know a good dog can't be a bad colour... But sometimes people can think a dog is better than another because of it's colour which is wrong.

I like all colour poodles but black is my favourite. I am not keen on blue or silver. Can't see anything wrong with preferring a particular colour as long as someone is not choosing a dog to match their wallpaper or something equally as stupid.

If someone likes a breed & wants a particular colour that's fine. It does not mean that they are so stupid they will only take notice of the colour & disregard everything else, although there are morons everywhere :laugh:

I have had people visit that only wanted one colour & they have chosen another one :) Also that were adamant that they only had girl dogs ever & they fell in love with the little boy.

In my breed (Dobermans), I would never take one of the dilute colours (fawn and blue) because of the potential for colour dilution alopecia giving you a bald dog, and from what I have read they can often have very coarse and sometimes smelly coats! I love both red & rust and black & rust though, I would be happy with either. I am secretly hoping that I can get a red when I get my pup, as I have had 4 blacks growing up so a change could be nice, but temperament is more important and I would take either- red would just be the icing on the cake :)

In other breeds, I do have colour preference in some of them...

I like fawn great danes

Red bullmastiffs

Broken blue Am Staffs

Any broken colour on a Greyhound

Chocolate labs