Do You Have A Preference For A Certain Colour Within Your Breed ?

aussielover

in my last litter, I had someone ask for a Weimaraner with a "browner" coat... usually the ones with that washed out brown are due to sun bleaching. You can get a mouse grey but most weimaraners here are Silver or dark grey... They didn't end up with a puppy.

oh and in Old English Sheepdogs, which isn't my breed but I show it, I prefer a patch/black ears to break up white on their heads, a white blaze and the deep grey bum.. but the absolute favourite for me in OES is dark eye pigment, especially if they have a wall eye or two blue eyes. :love:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was offered several yellow labs when looking for my pup, they were beautiful but I love the blacks more. So I waited months for her and I got my perfect pup. It's not so difficult when it comes to labs though, only 3 choices really :-)

in my last litter, I had someone ask for a Weimaraner with a "browner" coat... usually the ones with that washed out brown are due to sun bleaching. You can get a mouse grey but most weimaraners here are Silver or dark grey... They didn't end up with a puppy.

Did you discuss with them and look at pictures to find out what they meant by 'browner'? Looking on the web there are weims that have blue noses/steel grey coats, and ones with liver noses/mouse grey coats. I thought the second type was the preferred?

My greyhound Woody is registered as dun, but genetically he is isabella. Which means he has the liver gene as well as the dilute gene. This gives him the beautiful colour of a weimeraner, and next to the blue greyhounds he looks very brown. Mouse brown.

I wanted to get a dun coloured greyhound, and was prepared to wait until one came up. Only one in every three thousand greyhounds expresses this colour, so I waited many years. And then two were offered to me at the same time, from two different bloodlines.

Dun refers more to the expression of liver (rather than black) pigment than it does to an actual shade of coat, so they can be identified by a liver nose instead of black or blue nose. So I have two very different looking dun greyhounds. One is white and dun brindle. She has a purple brown nose, and chocolate and fawn brindle areas and chocolate brindle spots on her white areas.

Both these dogs are wonderful pets, but if I was buying a dog for breeding, colour would not have any importance at all. The only time that colour would be important in breeding greyhounds would be to avoid mating two dogs that were both mostly white.

Tibetan Spaniels have an extremely wide range of colours....as all solid colours & partis are acceptable.

The ones I've had, have been gold. But each one's gold has been different. Like Angel was yellow-gold, Nina Zena is platinum gold & Annie is a reddish gold.

The tibbie next door perfectly matches our cat who is tabbie-torti. Lily has similar colours.

Here's a big bunch of p/b Tibbies, showing the variety:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-3304-0-64054000-1311215236_thumb.jpg

post-3304-0-64054000-1311215236_thumb.jpg

With the lappie, I didn't care what colour I got, as long as it was a lappie. I also didn't care what sex it was. My favourite would have been a blue girl...and I was lucky enough to get that. Now I'd love a wolf sable...but the chances of that are remote at best!

I was all for a Black Lab the wife wanted a Chocolate Lab - We decided on picking the right one for us irrespective of their colour.

He turned out to be chocolate and you know what - I think the wife was right I love the chocs now. Though don't tend to say it out too loudly due to the apparent 'choc' craze and all that it implies.

I wanted a blue merle Aussie and ended up with a mismarked black tricolour (her genetic colour is still under debate but she LOOKS like a black tri).

Blue merles are still my favourite, and I have favourite markings too. I wouldn't turn down the perfect pup for me because of its colour but I would like to at least have some say in my preferences. If I'm happy with the health of one pup from a litter, I'm generally going to be happy with the others as well. And if there are similar temperaments why shouldn't it come down to colour preferences?

I also prefer to get the opposite sex to my current dog which I think is valid.

I would love a mantle great dane in the future and am willing to wait for a correctly marked mantle male from the right breeder but if my research (health, temperament, conformation and registered ethical breeder) points to a fawn when the time comes then I will be happy with a fawn. I would prefer a healthy, good looking dane from a great breeder in the "wrong" colour than have a poorly bred mantle from a dodgy breeder.

I have a Mantle...................want him? :laugh: :laugh:

You know I'd take him in a heartbeat :D

You know that while I have a heartbeat, there's never a chance of that? :D

I know! But a girl can dream, right ;)

I have favorite one's for the different breeds I like just a personal thing like cocker spaniels I like blue roan and black and black and tans not too keen on the other colours but I don't dislike them I just think they are not as cute as the ones I like :p everyone has there own personal taste that is what makes everyone interesting same with breed some with think some breed look ugly and other will think they are cute!! :D

Did you discuss with them and look at pictures to find out what they meant by 'browner'? Looking on the web there are weims that have blue noses/steel grey coats, and ones with liver noses/mouse grey coats. I thought the second type was the preferred?

My greyhound Woody is registered as dun, but genetically he is isabella. Which means he has the liver gene as well as the dilute gene. This gives him the beautiful colour of a weimeraner, and next to the blue greyhounds he looks very brown. Mouse brown.

I wanted to get a dun coloured greyhound, and was prepared to wait until one came up. Only one in every three thousand greyhounds expresses this colour, so I waited many years. And then two were offered to me at the same time, from two different bloodlines.

Dun refers more to the expression of liver (rather than black) pigment than it does to an actual shade of coat, so they can be identified by a liver nose instead of black or blue nose. So I have two very different looking dun greyhounds. One is white and dun brindle. She has a purple brown nose, and chocolate and fawn brindle areas and chocolate brindle spots on her white areas.

Both these dogs are wonderful pets, but if I was buying a dog for breeding, colour would not have any importance at all. The only time that colour would be important in breeding greyhounds would be to avoid mating two dogs that were both mostly white.

I did ask them what they meant by browner, and I also explained that WEimaraners are a dilute of liver and that is what gives them the silver grey that is mostly bred for, explained the other, less common shades and I also mentioned that there is in existence a "Blue Weimaraner" but that this colour is not bred in Australia and that as far as i was aware, there were not any blues in Australia, so they only colour they would get would be the correct shades of silver grey. I also asked them if they meant a GSP. Unfortunately, I didn't hear back from them to find out what they meant.

The blacks tend to be more energetic & , sometimes, a bit stand-offish. The whites/creams are very laid-back & snuggly. This is something I have observed in ONE particular line of dogs which I have had for 30+ years, I don't say it's necessarily the case for ALL Standard Poodles. :D

I have found the opposite, but I have Miniatures, my black is very laid back, even lazy, while my white is an endless supply of energy.

The black is as smart as a whip and the white... well... at least he's pretty :laugh:

The blacks tend to be more energetic & , sometimes, a bit stand-offish. The whites/creams are very laid-back & snuggly. This is something I have observed in ONE particular line of dogs which I have had for 30+ years, I don't say it's necessarily the case for ALL Standard Poodles. :D

I have found the opposite, but I have Miniatures, my black is very laid back, even lazy, while my white is an endless supply of energy.

The black is as smart as a whip and the white... well... at least he's pretty :laugh:

Yes, the whites can have a bit of that "dumb blond" thing going on :laugh:

I was all for a Black Lab the wife wanted a Chocolate Lab - We decided on picking the right one for us irrespective of their colour.

He turned out to be chocolate and you know what - I think the wife was right I love the chocs now. Though don't tend to say it out too loudly due to the apparent 'choc' craze and all that it implies.

I also a chocolate lab lover!! :love:

In a line up or a picture of Aussies my eye is often drawn to the red merle first. I think nothing beats a GOOD red merle for me, however, when I breed a litter or select my next pup, conformation, health testing and personality are all further up the list than colour, and then if a red merle and a tri were the same in every other way, I'd pick the tri simply because there's more choice when breeding in the future, because merle to merle can produce deafness and eye issues in double merle pups.

After red merles I think it's a toss up between a black tri or a really dark red tri.

I would love a black bi colour (black and white) Aussie one day, but it's unlikely from the dogs and lines I like.

As for the Irish, they really only come in shades of red! I do prefer a rich red like Ruby, and especially her brother, over yellow reds but it's really no big deal. I would however pick a red without black shading over a red with black shading because our standard states that black shading is highly undesirable, but it is seen.

Edited by Lyndsay

I am owned by Bernese Mountain Dogs and being these only come in one colour I dont have a colour preference but I do like them to have the thicker white strip on the head/nose. Ive always had a preference for females though but after alot of thinking would like to own a male Berner in the future.

I have no colour preference at all I have a very pretty golden lab, and we recently adopted a pure black lab cross from our local pound. A few people have mentioned the big black dog stigma, so I had a read about it and was shocked to read that many people dislike black dogs and that they are much harder to adopt out than colored dogs. Recently our big pure white danex passed away, he practically glowed in the dark and looked like a giant white and pink mouse. I must admit that it is quite a novelty with our black dog, it is very hard to see his features and as his eyes are so dark the only colour on him are the whites of his eyes. And wow is it hard to get a good picture of him.

I think is ok to have a colour preference - I think its only human. I doubt any of us would say a certain colour is a better dog, but certainly we might have a colour preference. Just as some others have said, I have a preference for a red cloud kelpie because we had an awesome red boy last decade. But I am also wary because I had a blue point ragdoll cat and I when she died I got another blue point ragdoll - I would not do that again, I would get a different ooluring, I think it prolonged my grief having a new kitten the exact same colour.

I only wanted a red/white border collie (the very pale ones) I ended up with a chocolate tri and I wouldnt change him for the world. I now would like another as a companion for Angus. I was originally aiming for the red/white I first wanted, but have swung towards a preference for a merle. Ill be happy to settle for any colour other than B/W as long as it is a female.

I think colour preference is only natural and I must say I was a little insulted by a breeder when I was told that 'I would have what I was given'

In a line up or a picture of Aussies my eye is often drawn to the red merle first. I think nothing beats a GOOD red merle for me, however, when I breed a litter or select my next pup, conformation, health testing and personality are all further up the list than colour, and then if a red merle and a tri were the same in every other way, I'd pick the tri simply because there's more choice when breeding in the future, because merle to merle can produce deafness and eye issues in double merle pups.

After red merles I think it's a toss up between a black tri or a really dark red tri.

I would love a black bi colour (black and white) Aussie one day, but it's unlikely from the dogs and lines I like.

As for the Irish, they really only come in shades of red! I do prefer a rich red like Ruby, and especially her brother, over yellow reds but it's really no big deal. I would however pick a red without black shading over a red with black shading because our standard states that black shading is highly undesirable, but it is seen.

I wish there were more tri's being shown, a class full of quality tri's is a sight to behold. And I wish judges would realise that without tri's there'd be no breed quality.