Do You Have A Preference For A Certain Colour Within Your Breed ?

aussielover

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do have colours I prefer in my breeds but colour is way down the list when looking for a dog. The big things (health, temperament etc) are of the utmost importance and then if the dog happens to be a colour I like, it's an added bonus. If a dog suited me in every way but wasn't my preferred colour, it wouldn't stop me owning that dog.

I have no real preference in my own breed (paps) except that I'd prefer not to have a lemon coloured (technically a very light red).

In other breeds I like though I do have colour preferences, as they're likely to be the only dogs of the breed I'll own.

Blue merle for an Aussie, black and tan for a Shiba Inu, tri colour for a Basenji and the grey colour for a Swedish Vallhund (have seen the red/wheaten type colour and am not a fan).

I was asked by my breeder whether I had a preference for either a dark or light coloured Goldie. I said I'd rather a darker one, but either way I'm not too fussed! Both his parents are beautiful, so I'm sure he'll look similar to one of them!! His mum is the most amazing, pale cream colour, and his dad has a bit of darkening on his back and head, but either way they're both beautiful!

No. I have a breed where all colours are permitted. I feel affectionately towards certain coat colours because of dogs I have loved, but if I were going to a breeder for a dog, the colour would be the last thing on my mind. Other things like temperament, soundness, breeding and style are much more important to me.

If I were looking for a show dog and I found a parti colour I liked with a great big spot on the neck or topline I would probably pass. But not because of it being parti, or because it's a fault (it isn't) but because showing a dog with an unfortunate marking is making life really difficult for yourself. I can work with an unpopular colour if the dog is outstanding, but an unfortunate mark is different.

Hi,

Yes, with Pointers I have a colour preference for black and orange, with any amount of markings or spots............then would come liver, with lemon as a last choice. With the livers and lemons I just dont like the lighter pigment and eye colour though permissable.

I would love a red merle for my next Aussie puppy, but it definitely isn't the only thing I will look for - I will be wanting a show quality puppy (with hopefully a bit of drive!!), and if that's another colour, well then that will be the puppy I take home :)

I still have to decide on a breeder first, that's the hardest part for me!! :laugh:

I would love a mantle great dane in the future and am willing to wait for a correctly marked mantle male from the right breeder but if my research (health, temperament, conformation and registered ethical breeder) points to a fawn when the time comes then I will be happy with a fawn. I would prefer a healthy, good looking dane from a great breeder in the "wrong" colour than have a poorly bred mantle from a dodgy breeder.

I have a Mantle...................want him? :laugh: :laugh:

You know I'd take him in a heartbeat :D

As a breeder is doesn't bother me that people have a preference - it bothers me when they ask for specific markings ie. Blue with white feet but no white on chest etc

Its hard because I would like to show when I eventually get my mantle boy so I'd have to be a little specific (ie show marked). If I was not looking at showing I'd happily take a mismarked boy if he ticked all the other boxes.

Hmmmmm colour over rode my sex choice :eek:

I went to look at Tess's litter with the intention of a blue male.

7 reds and 2 blues in the litter.... Deposit already on the blue male. None of the red boys excited me. I really wanted a pup from the sire. He was being retired....

So I took the blue female. Zero regrets though, and the male will be arriving next year :)

I think it's human nature to be attracted to a certain look, colour included. Just as long as quality isn't compromised to obtain that colour.

I love Blue Merles but would always be willing for the breeder to pick a pup for us based on temperament and fit for our family.

With our Bloodhound I liked the look of the black blanket - didn't even know what a liver and tan looked like - and no love the look of our liver and tan boy

I am very keen in black tri Aussies, with less white rather than more. But they don't do well in the show ring, most days the judges only have eyes for merles.

My next Aussie is very unlikely to be a puppy and it's doubtful I'll get a choice of colours so we'll just love whatever we get. I can tell you though, that they are all too precious for words and in the great scheme of things I'd pick health and longevity over colour any day.

I'd really like to have a red/brown Swedish Vallhund one day. I think they look very cool. But that being said, yellow/grey is also an okay color for me. I don't really have much of a fondness for plain grey Valls, as I don't like monochrome dogs :laugh: I like a splash of color here and there. I also don't like Valls with dark masks but these aren't very common, so I don't worry about it.

I'm so naughty! I am holding out for the one colour AND sex for my next dog! laugh.gif But my breeder knows what I want and knows I am in no rush and is very happy to oblige, and to top it off she is selling it to me on Mains so I can show. We have a good relationship as she's the breeder of my first dog :)

RS what are you getting :provoke:

My first greyhound Stan is blue.He is a stunning looking boy without being biased.After having fosters of varying colours my favorite colour in greys is brindle.So many variations of brindle,blue brindle being my personal fave.My second adoptee is white with a brindle spot over her eye and a large brindle patch over her rump.Both my dogs came to me sight unseen but I love both of their colours.Personally I think a harlequin dane is the most stunning dog I've ever seen.

Black greyhounds can look really good if their coats are cared for properly (as opposed to the grotty brown colour they can go) but in foster dogs, I dread black greys because they take so long to rehome. Both of my current dogs are fawn parti and I've noticed that not only do they seem to drop more hair than the black dogs, their ears attract flies in the summer- they look okay but it's not a colour I'd choose if I had a choice.

Of all the colours available (black, blue, brindle, fawn and dun), I'd pick a good black or a dun (if I could ever find one). Fawn would be last on my list (I've seen some really unattractive fawn dogs, especially the ones with what looks like a bit of a mask) and that'd be followed by blue (I've seen a few nice blues but mostly they just look washed-out). Brindle would really depend on the colour. Fawn brindle can look nice but the darker brindles really don't appeal to me.

That said.. I'd pick a greyhound with a solid, friendly temperament over one with a colour I prefered but a dubious temperament. I've fostered some really stunning dogs who've had terrible temperaments and as far as I'm concerned, a dog you can live with is far more important than just a pretty dog.