Do You Have A Preference For A Certain Colour Within Your Breed ?

aussielover

Does anyone have a colour preference within their breed or prospective breed? What do breeders think about this?

If I ever get another aussie I would like a red tri as I love the tricolour dogs.

Colour is not really important to me in labs, though of course I am biased towards black as my current lab is black. If i were to get another lab, I would not be fussed about colour though and perhaps would even prefer a colour other than black (so I don't get the two dogs mixed up :laugh: )

In general I think in most breeds I would have a colour preference (if colour variation exists in the breed!), but when speaking to the breeder I would just say I like xxxx colour but obviously the puppy fitting in with my lifestyle and my current dog would be the most important. It would be great to get both though :D

Would any breeders have a problem with someone not wanting a specific colour eg. any colour other than say, black or only want a solid coloured and not merle dog?

I would find it difficult to get a black tri aussie as my last aussie was black tri and even looking at other black tri aussies at training reminds me of her. I will probably have the same issue with black labs when Mindy is gone.

I know at the end of the day it comes down to personality, which is the most important.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest english.ivy

With my current Pointer I really love the heavy marked ones and they to only really come in black/white and liver/white. The other two [lemon and orange] tend to be more white than colour.

My heart dog was black/white so I was only open to a liver/white Pointer, who was heavly marked and Badger is just that!

But with Groenendaels, there is no colour choice. Black or black.

I think it's normal to prefer one colour over another. Absolutely the dog's personality and suitability must be matched to the owner first and foremost (also depending on what the dog is to be used for - pet, show, working, etc) but there is no harm in having a colour preference.

If people are adamant that they will ONLY take a red merle or whatever it may be, they need to realise they might be waiting a loooong time for a pup. If they are prepared to wait as long as it takes then good for them. In the mean time they could possibly be missing out on an awesome companion of another colour.

Akitas come in quite a few different colours/patterns, so I definitely have a few preferences. I absolutely love red & white Akitas, which is what Kyojin is, and black and white pintos. I must admit, I have no interest in owning a brindle Akita.

Does anyone have a colour preference within their breed or prospective breed? What do breeders think about this?

If I ever get another aussie I would like a red tri as I love the tricolour dogs.

Colour is not really important to me in labs, though of course I am biased towards black as my current lab is black. If i were to get another lab, I would not be fussed about colour though and perhaps would even prefer a colour other than black (so I don't get the two dogs mixed up :laugh: )

In general I think in most breeds I would have a colour preference (if colour variation exists in the breed!), but when speaking to the breeder I would just say I like xxxx colour but obviously the puppy fitting in with my lifestyle and my current dog would be the most important. It would be great to get both though :D

Would any breeders have a problem with someone not wanting a specific colour eg. any colour other than say, black or only want a solid coloured and not merle dog?I would find it difficult to get a black tri aussie as my last aussie was black tri and even looking at other black tri aussies at training reminds me of her. I will probably have the same issue with black labs when Mindy is gone.

I know at the end of the day it comes down to personality, which is the most important.

Sure :) I love a good Red Headed Tri in my own breed however I'd never select a puppy based on colour...

I have always felt that when people become focused on colour (ie. must have a puppy of a particular colour) often they could be missing out on the most suitable pup for them.

Of course it's each to their own and people are entitled to have a colour/sex preference but whether or not I can help them is another story because I am a strong believer in placing a pup with a family that I feel suitable on all levels and colour/sex just doesn't come into it.

Well, there is only 1 colour in Japanese Spitz :p :laugh:

I normally have a preferred colour when I want a pup (I've always like light colour dogs), but it always comes down to temperament and if that pup will fit into my home life/lifestyle. At the end, I'm going to love this pup regardless what it looks likes or colour it is.

So, no, it's not important to me.

My first sheltie was a sable, first time we went looking for another puppy and went to a show to meet a breeder, I burst into tears seeing all the beautiful sables running around, even J got teary. We now have a blue mere and a tri sheltie, one day I will get another sable but they will have very big paw prints to fill

I didn't think colour meant that much to me until it came time to look for a new pup, I found I got questioned more by breeders cause I was initially looking only for a girl and even more questions when we had Merlin and were looking for a girl. Now I have 2 boys, lol

I would love a mantle great dane in the future and am willing to wait for a correctly marked mantle male from the right breeder but if my research (health, temperament, conformation and registered ethical breeder) points to a fawn when the time comes then I will be happy with a fawn. I would prefer a healthy, good looking dane from a great breeder in the "wrong" colour than have a poorly bred mantle from a dodgy breeder.

My other future breed is another RR. They only come in liver and wheaten. I do prefer the wheaten and they are the most prevailant within the breed so I should be right there! :)

I don't care what colour my dogs are (provided it's within the standard). The other characteristics of the dogs are more important to me.

In saying that, I can see a valid reason behind your desire to not get another black tri.

I think it's fine to have a 'preference' but that doesn't mean you should select your future dogs based on that.

Edited by TerraNik

I only like a certain colour in some breeds, so I would be prepared to wait, if I had my heart set on it.

With other breeds, I'm not so fussy. For example, when I was looking into getting a Lappie, I would have been happy with any colour.

With our Husky, we wanted a black and white with blue eyes. We got the black and white, but not the blue eyes, but we were happy to compromise on that. If we ever got another Husky, we'd probably get a different colour, just because I wouldn't want to compare to Akira. We'll only ever have one Husky at a time.

With Halo, we preferred a domino, but we got a black tri. I didn't really mind too much on the colours at all, the only colour we didn't want was a cream, and that's because OH has a thing against light coloured dogs. We did want a light face though, but if the show pick had been a darker girl, we would have gone with that.

Cresteds come in any color or combination of colors so there's really no limit to the possibilities and of course, I have my preferences.

I am not a big fan of the paler colored dogs, the ginger ninjas as I call them, but in saying that, if a gorgeous one was offered to me I wouldn't say no.

If I had 2 identical dogs, one ginger, one slate and white, I'll take the slate and white please!

I have colour preferences but other things are more important.

Kelpies I prefer black/tan or red/tan, black is OK but cream is growing on me. Not that interested in the dilutes (blue and fawn) and not sure about solid red/chocolate.

GSD I prefer sable or black (have a bi-colour).

Since I am mostly interested in working lines, and my colour preferences are the most common in working lines, I doubt I would have a problem finding a suitable dog in my preferred colours.

I think it's fine to have a 'preference' but that doesn't mean you should select your future dogs based on that.

I don't see why not :shrug: If you're taking it ONLY based on colour when other aspects don't add up (iffy temperament for eg), sure that can be cause for concern. But if you're realistic and can wait for the "right" one in the colour you want and don't expect to make an "order" and expect it to be filled right away, I see no harm in holding out for the colour of your choice.

I'm so naughty! I am holding out for the one colour AND sex for my next dog! laugh.gif But my breeder knows what I want and knows I am in no rush and is very happy to oblige, and to top it off she is selling it to me on Mains so I can show. We have a good relationship as she's the breeder of my first dog :)

Edited by RubyStar

Not hard in Vizslas, they only come in the one colour, although I do prefer the mid colour in terms of darkness. In GSPs I strongly prefer brown over black and it would have to be an absolute exceptional pup for me to consider black. I also prefer GSPs without white blazes on their head, however I'd certainly overlook that on the right pup :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with having colour and marking preferences as long as it's not your only criteria.

Edited by FHRP

My breed generally only comes in one colour. :)

Like Kavik, I really prefer black or Sable GSD to the black & tan ones. Just think they're much prettier.

I saw a litter of mals on youtube that were fawn/black and also brindle???

Maybe crossed with a dutch shepherd (is this permtted?) although they called them malinois puppies?