Side By Side Insemination

Lynai

Today was an excersize, literally!

My maiden bitch came into season, and while most Mastiffs are pretty laid back, Selah is the proverbial "class clown" as well as suffering a bit from attention deficit disorder. She is a handful on a good day, when she is in season, I think she may be the devil...lol.

Wowsa has an issue with premature ejaculation and with Selah being Selah, I decided our best approach to this was going to be a fresh ai, side by side.

So I collected Wowsa this morning and then came Selah. My husband had the front end, I had the insemination duty. This girl is such a goof, getting her to stay still is next to impossible. I ended up using a much shorter catheter than I desired and was only able to get the semen approx halfway to where it really needed to be. In the end, all of us were covered in slobber, Selah polished off a roll of hard salami and I am going to have to repeat this.

This is only the third time I have attempted ai on my own and never with such a rowdy not to mention big girl (75kg).

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And I thought I had it hard with my mini poodles on my boys first go - he was keen but no direction - so I took the two to a dog breeding vet in Brisbane Furkids - they had them tied in seconds for me - what a relief - maybe some one near where you live may know of a helper. The vision of your BIG girl gave me such a smile though I do hope all goes to plan - boy what some breeders go through.

Here is one for you, I laugh everytime I think of it. :rofl:

Breeder has a dog out on terms with pet people, they live 20min from me so off we go.

My mentor who is going to do the AI is close to death with chest infection and can hardly breathe.

The dog has never been used at stud and the owner has never been part of dog breeding.

Owner brings out the dog and can't control him because the dog is so damn excited as he thinks he is on a play date. :laugh:

The pet owner brings the dog close to the bitch and the dog is jumping around like an idiot, after all he is on a playdate. After a few minutes of the dog doing anything but mounting the bitch, Mentor says give me the dog, and the pet owner just stands there looking on.

I am holding the bitches head and the dog attempts to mount the bitch over her head then her side etc

Bitch is getting annoyed as she knows what it is all about, so I hold her head and flip the lead around my neck to keep it out of the way. Dog again tries to mount to high, he catches the lead and gets caught in it. I get pulled down and can't get the lead off and I am getting strangled!

Mentor is down the other end saying let go of the lead as both the bitch and I are heading for the ground closely followed by the dog as he can't get his leg out.

Get the lead off and the dog mounts the bitch from the side whilst my mentor is wedged in the middle of them.

Bear in mind she is controlling the dog, can't breathe and has to do the collection! :eek:

Meanwhile the pet owner is watching on with BIG eyes thinking WTF !!

Mentor can breathe as she is sick, adding to the fact she is laughing to much - first at me for nearly strangling myself, poor pet person who is watching us molest his dog and at the dog himself as he is being such a clown.

In the end the collection was done with the dog mounting the bitch sideways with my mentors leg wedged in the middle of it all! :rofl:

Fresh AI done resulting in 8 puppies. :)

Arh the joys of breeding Giant Breeds - both dogs weighed in excess of 80+kgs and were over 82cms each at the wither.

Here is one for you, I laugh everytime I think of it. :rofl:

Breeder has a dog out on terms with pet people, they live 20min from me so off we go.

My mentor who is going to do the AI is close to death with chest infection and can hardly breathe.

The dog has never been used at stud and the owner has never been part of dog breeding.

Owner brings out the dog and can't control him because the dog is so damn excited as he thinks he is on a play date. :laugh:

The pet owner brings the dog close to the bitch and the dog is jumping around like an idiot, after all he is on a playdate. After a few minutes of the dog doing anything but mounting the bitch, Mentor says give me the dog, and the pet owner just stands there looking on.

I am holding the bitches head and the dog attempts to mount the bitch over her head then her side etc

Bitch is getting annoyed as she knows what it is all about, so I hold her head and flip the lead around my neck to keep it out of the way. Dog again tries to mount to high, he catches the lead and gets caught in it. I get pulled down and can't get the lead off and I am getting strangled!

Mentor is down the other end saying let go of the lead as both the bitch and I are heading for the ground closely followed by the dog as he can't get his leg out.

Get the lead off and the dog mounts the bitch from the side whilst my mentor is wedged in the middle of them.

Bear in mind she is controlling the dog, can't breathe and has to do the collection! :eek:

Meanwhile the pet owner is watching on with BIG eyes thinking WTF !!

Mentor can breathe as she is sick, adding to the fact she is laughing to much - first at me for nearly strangling myself, poor pet person who is watching us molest his dog and at the dog himself as he is being such a clown.

In the end the collection was done with the dog mounting the bitch sideways with my mentors leg wedged in the middle of it all! :rofl:

Fresh AI done resulting in 8 puppies. :)

Arh the joys of breeding Giant Breeds - both dogs weighed in excess of 80+kgs and were over 82cms each at the wither.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Why do I always miss the good fun.

Thanks Lynai and Swayd that was my giggle for the afternoon. Just wondering, could you give her some rescue remedy or even camomile tea to calm her down before hand? (Havent done it so not from experience, just know it works for other situations)

Thanks Lynai and Swayd that was my giggle for the afternoon. Just wondering, could you give her some rescue remedy or even camomile tea to calm her down before hand? (Havent done it so not from experience, just know it works for other situations)

Who for.....the dog or the people.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's so much fun isn't it doing collections and AI's with BIG dogs! 3 people is best, one to hold the bitch's head, one to control the dog and one to get the collection. Then put the dog out, get one to hold the bitch's head, one to hold the bitch's bottom still and one to do the AI.

Get a longer insemination tube before you do the next one Lynai....you want puppies after all the effort!

Edited by HANNAH

oh too funny :rofl: SwaY your killing me lol.

Okay for those of those with big dogs (one of which is a rodeo clown), two people can get it done.

1. One pound of hard salami summer sausage chopped into bite size chuncks

2. Patient person to hold head, preferrabley with really crappy clothes on

3. drool rag for head holder

4. head person feed non stop

5. inseminator learn real quick where everything goes!

6. shots of tequila for the people

Selah is oddly shaped compared to my last bitch, but I managed to get the longer catheter in her, so I'm hoping for the best!!

Here is a pic of my girl I took today, it was super humid and hot today so the picture turned out bad due to humidity/condensation build up on the lense.

This is Selah after we bred her, does she look pregnant? ;)

selah.jpg

Edited by Lynai

:rofl: :rofl: Oh dog I'm choking on my coffee here !!!

Sway...where's the video ? :laugh:

Hi Lynai, great to see you ! I think you need to add chiropractic visits to your list ! the amount of times I've been broken mating or AI'ing giant breeds is amazing !

All fingers & toes crossed for pups.

Wow! I just wanted to say that Selah is just gorgeous :love:

My grandparents used to breed Mastiffs many, many moons ago, so I half grew up with them and have very fond memories of them - it's lovely to see such a stunning girl :thumbsup:

Wow! I just wanted to say that Selah is just gorgeous :love:

My grandparents used to breed Mastiffs many, many moons ago, so I half grew up with them and have very fond memories of them - it's lovely to see such a stunning girl :thumbsup:

Thanks Allerzeit for your kind words..she has matured into what I was hoping for when I brought her home :D

I see that a love of big dogs stays for generations in your family :D

fifi missed your post, awesome to see you too! :)

Edited by Lynai

Holy crap Sway that is hilarious - I can sympathise with you giant breed breeders - I have horses - BIG ones - enough said!

We grew up with danes and they still have a special place in my heart - Now if only the OH would let me have more dogs - he seems to think two GSP's will be enough. Little does he know I want at least one of each colour!

I know what you mean about the pet owners doing the whole WTF! When I go out with horse friends during breeding season we can be sitting in a coffee shop talking about semen, AI and whether or not a stallion can get it up and in the right place - When you notice the room has gone quiet and the people around you are looking like we're very disturbed people you realise that it's not necessarily considered a 'normal' conversation topic - well except for us!