Preparation For First Show

Hey guys,

As probably a lot of you have heard (as I am fairly excited) I will be bringing home my first main registered and show potential pup in 2 weeks. As soon as I have his papers in my hands I will start entering him in his first shows as a baby puppy.. but first I have a lot to learn and prepare for!

My little guy is a blue merle Australian Shepherd dog, so my questions if they relate to any specific breed or type, I am talking about him. :D

So I will start my list.. but please don't try and answer everything if you can't, any help is much appreciated. I just want to be as best prepared as I can in order to make the best entrance as a new shower. I know I won't be perfect by any long shot, but as long as I am acceptable and can do justice to the dog for my breeder.

I have joined dogs NSW and have been in touch with my local KC, and will discuss as much as I can with the breeder when I pick him up, but I know it will take more than this.

1. Where do most people purchase show suits? Mix and match is fine, but are there particular shops you find helpful, online or not?

2. What colours do you think would suit my dog - for leads and show suits I am thinking.

3. Can anyone recommend good shampoos/conditioners? Are there any other types of grooming or shop preparation I may need? I currently have a slicker brush, pin brush and bristle brush just for starters.

4. What type of leads are used for this breed? I have been to a few shows to try and see but havn't got a great idea. Also where is the best place to purchase leads and snake chains (as far as I have seen so far, snake chains seem popular?)

5. When going to my first few shows, am I better to just set up a chair and my crate away from the main hustle? I don't want to miss anything, but don't want to get in the way of other exhibitors or their marquees.

6. Can anyone recommend any books or websites which are particularly useful for teaching a show puppy to stand and gait? I would like to do this as right as possible from day 1, but unfortunately they do not have show classes at my local KC.

Thanks so much for the help anyone can give. I know I have probably forgotten a fair few things, just have too much going on in my head at the moment I think!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

As probably a lot of you have heard (as I am fairly excited) I will be bringing home my first main registered and show potential pup in 2 weeks. As soon as I have his papers in my hands I will start entering him in his first shows as a baby puppy.. but first I have a lot to learn and prepare for!

My little guy is a blue merle Australian Shepherd dog, so my questions if they relate to any specific breed or type, I am talking about him. :D

So I will start my list.. but please don't try and answer everything if you can't, any help is much appreciated. I just want to be as best prepared as I can in order to make the best entrance as a new shower. I know I won't be perfect by any long shot, but as long as I am acceptable and can do justice to the dog for my breeder.

I have joined dogs NSW and have been in touch with my local KC, and will discuss as much as I can with the breeder when I pick him up, but I know it will take more than this.

1. Where do most people purchase show suits? Mix and match is fine, but are there particular shops you find helpful, online or not?

2. What colours do you think would suit my dog - for leads and show suits I am thinking.

3. Can anyone recommend good shampoos/conditioners? Are there any other types of grooming or shop preparation I may need? I currently have a slicker brush, pin brush and bristle brush just for starters.

4. What type of leads are used for this breed? I have been to a few shows to try and see but havn't got a great idea. Also where is the best place to purchase leads and snake chains (as far as I have seen so far, snake chains seem popular?)

5. When going to my first few shows, am I better to just set up a chair and my crate away from the main hustle? I don't want to miss anything, but don't want to get in the way of other exhibitors or their marquees.

6. Can anyone recommend any books or websites which are particularly useful for teaching a show puppy to stand and gait? I would like to do this as right as possible from day 1, but unfortunately they do not have show classes at my local KC.

Thanks so much for the help anyone can give. I know I have probably forgotten a fair few things, just have too much going on in my head at the moment I think!

There are shows at Dubbo next weekend, Saturday, Sunday & Monday. I suggest you toddle along and watch how the rings run. It's a great way to learn...

One thing I wouldn't recommend for a coated breed is a snake chain though I used to use it on my Bearded Collie without any problems but those kind of chains are NOT recommended for coated breeds.

Good Luck with your show career...

Thanks guys.

fifi - I think I have read that thread about a thousand times in my nervous excitement! haha. I was just hoping for a few more tips more specific to my dog and where to find the right gear.

Havasneeze - Unfotunately I am flying out to NZ on Saturday morning, so won't be able to attend any of the shows.. I am so bummed that I am missing it, but thankfully made the Gilgandra show only a few weeks back now.

That is interesting about the snake chain! It must be some other chain I have been seeing on the Aussies, or maybe I am completely off track!

Have you looked at the faq thread just above the show ring topics ? lots of good stuff for newbs :)

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/163330-show-ring-f-a-q/

Hi,

My special area is show suits and have a wardrobe full to prove it..LOL... I buy all my suits on line from America......I have never gone wrong with the sizing but what you have to do...is if you have a skirt and jacket that fits you nicely........lay the skirt on a table and measure across the waist, hips and length. With the jacket do the buttons up and measure the bust, waist, length. These are the 'Laying Flat' measurements and the most reliable, use these are your base and have them in cm and inches.

The US sizes are smaller than ours so if your an Aust 10 there is a good chance you'll be a US 8. Now just go to ebay and search for eg 'skirt suit 8' then do a worldwide search, this brings up the US and English suits. Most of the sellers put the 'Laying Flat' measurements if they haven't send them a message......now with postage always ask if they will sent First Class instead of Priority.....it gets here in the same amount of time and is half the price. I never pay anymore than $60.00 inc postage for a suit. I have even pick up some high end designer labels which had been worn once and only paid $15.00 plus $15.00 postage. Good Luck

Edited by Showpony

One thing I wouldn't recommend for a coated breed is a snake chain though I used to use it on my Bearded Collie without any problems but those kind of chains are NOT recommended for coated breeds.

Really? Pretty much everyone I know shows their Aussie on a snake chain, and I've never had any issues with coats snagging etc

Hey guys,

1. Show suits on a budget then go to Salvos, Vinnies etc. Otherwise your best friend is all the FB pages dedicated to selling show suits imported from the US. I warn you - its an obsession. Just contact me and I'll give you links to a whole host of them.

2. Any colour really except a light grey I would think. If you wear black and your dog is dumping coat, bring a sticky linen brush :laugh:

3. A good volumiser and/or whitening shampoo will be your best friend

4. I use a chain and leather lead - my lead is basic black leather with a few simple crystal clusters. Matches anything.

5. For the first few shows just grab a spot where you can, some kind showie might let you share with them :) I guess once you decide if you want to stick with it you can then get the whole host of things including gazebo, mat, walls etc

6. Google is your friend.

Really? Pretty much everyone I know shows their Aussie on a snake chain, and I've never had any issues with coats snagging etc

I use a snake chain on my Lappie and my Keeshond... Absolutely no problems here, either!

Thanks so much! I would love to have some links for facebook pages selling show suits and leads/collars too! :D

Great, so maybe a charcoal grey or something fairly plain might be the way to go. :D

I will keep having a look on google for some more helpful training pages. I really wish I could do show training somewhere closeby, it sounds fantastic! But alas Dubbo is not helping me here.. haha

The one I know on Facebook is "Show your Style". There are others but can't think of the names at the moment.

Another good tip - for beginner handlers and/or baby puppies is to enter Sweepstakes classes. This gives you more ringtime, and because they can be bigger classes - more downtime in the ring to help settle nerves and make it more familiar. You can also get a chance to interact with some other competitors with babies which is fun too.

eta - normally with clothes I go for something fairly neutral that contrasts with your dog so that if you stand behind him/her they don't blend into you but can be clearly seen. Maybe soft apricot to contrast with a merle Aussie?

Edited by Alyosha

I use a snake chain, I also have a thin black slip lead I sometimes use.

For grooming, I have single sided thinning scissors, straight scissors, a pin brush, a bristle brush and a small soft slicker brush for leg hair. Chalk powder, Wella cholestrol cream for it to stick to, Plush Puppy Wonder Wash for grubby feet (it's self rinsing shampoo for the bits that get dirty between bath and show, usually the feet).

For bathing I use a horse whitening shampoo called Champion Tails Glo White. Dilute in water and spray on whites and leave for a few minutes, lather well and rinse. Plush Puppy conditioning shampoo and a good quality conditioner that I dilute in water and spray on after the bath and before drying.

I have other bits and pieces such as a small soft cat brush for applying the chalk, a velvet mitt for making the coat shine, a block of chalk for whitening the facial markings,a wide tooth comb, an undercoat rake.

Thanks for the detailed response Gayle! I didn't realise chalk was allowed, will have to look into purchasing the shampoos/conditioners and extra products. :D

I think something neutral for the outfit sounds good, and do you think something to match the dog for the lead is the best?

Millers often has some useful pieces. Of course it depends on your age and your build! For older dumpy women like me it can be worth a look :laugh:

I am not a big fan of bling (can I say that out loud? :eek: ) and would go neutral. Depending on where the colour is on your dog, black or silver may work for a lead? If you dog has white around its neck you could use white too. Colour-wise for clothes I would probably go with greens or reds or similar. If your dog is fairly dark, steer clear of dark clothes as the dog (or bits of it) may blend into the background and be hard to see (not good unless you are trying to hide something like a not so good topline ;) ). If your dog has white on it you need to steer clear of yellow tones as the reflection can make them look yellow too. Go for solid colours in particular with a multi coloured dog.

I am a fan of both Plush Puppy and Chris Christensen products. PP has an article on grooming aussies that may give you a few ideas. The PP seabreeze oil is a great product (remember only a few drops though or the coat will be flat and oily!).

Can't comment on leads specifically for the breed, but in general IMO with a pup you may want to start with something just slightly heavier than a snake chain - a smaller check chain for example. Once the dog has more training you can progress to a thinner snake chain. I would start with a basic soft nylon show lead. They are relatively cheap, come it lots of colours and will get you started. You will find them for sale at most shows and a lot of online shops (petnetwork, callicoma to name just a couple). From there you will be in a better position to decide if you want something different for you and your dog (like my favourite leather show leads;) ).

Can you arrange to meet with someone at the show and sit with them? That can be a good place to start. Try and sit where you have a view of your ring if you can.

One of my favourites is "New Secrets of Successful Show Dog Handling" by Peter Green and Mario Migliorini. American of course, but some really good step by step procedures for things like stacking. Remember though that one of the important things with a baby puppy is that it learns to have fun and enjoy being in the ring. Don't expect a perfect performance in the ring and dont expect the pup to stand still for very long - even a few seconds at a time is good in the beginning. Count yourself very lucky if you manage to get round with all four feet on the ground! LOL!

Edited by espinay2

The best show outfits, in my opinion, are the ones you don't notice. The show is about the dog, not the handler and the more unobtrusive the handler, the more the dog stands out. For a blue merle dog, I'd go with black, charcoal grey, navy blue or dark brown/tan. Flat black or grey shoes and no hat, no patterned fabrics, no chunky jewellery. If you choose to wear white shoes, make sure they are sparkling clean.

If you're unsure about lead colour, black is always safe as it tends to "disappear" into the background.

Thank you so much for the link to the grooming article! Looks like I will be stocking up on lots of grooming products for my boy!

I am considering at the moment a charcoal or dark grey suit, and a grey lead to hopefully not stand out way too much!

I must confess that I have a different lead to match each of my suits :o

IMO - if you're just starting out and don't want to spend a bomb on products while you're testing the waters my suggestions:

* Human Mousse

* Human Hairspray

* Potato flour

all of the above can be brought the supermarket.

I'd also get PP Wonder wash for any show day mud play situations!

Brush wise I looove my Mason Pearson brush and also have a comb (no idea what brand) and a small slicker brush.

Love most of the CC shampoo's and conditioners - get mine from Petnetwork - the ladies are lovely :) For washing whites I use a horse shampoo - I think it's called Alto White????

Suit wise I buy most of mine from Ebay in USA - can get ome lovely suits for more than 1/2 the price they sell them for here :-)

Fantastic, I will keep an eye out for cheaper suits.

I am really intersted in getting the right kinds of grooming products to start with. As the breeder truely believes this pup has some show potential, I have promised I will show it for her - whether or not I decide after a while I don't particularly like it (Although I highly doubt this after visiting a few shows) so I think it would be worthwhile buying the good stuff now, and give myself a better chance of getting it right from the start. Otherwise I will just need to get the better gear later. :D

I will look into where I can purchase a nice show lead. I am keen to maybe get a grey or charcoal lead with a teeny bit of bling, purple perhaps? The poor boy already has a bright purple collar and lead waiting for him!

For the first few shows, you won't actually need anything beyond a puppy shampoo and maybe some scissors to tidy up his feet, or at least get him used to having his feet trimmed. Babies don't need powder, voluminiser, hairspray etc. They just need to be clean and sweet smelling.

Eventingpony...are you going to be able to make it to the shows at Albury in August? Will be many aussie exhibitors and there are grooming clinics that are for aussies.

I would talk to as many people as I could to find what works before spending a fortune on grooming products. I have tried heaps of products over the years and have gone back to a very basic grooming kit.

I start all my babies on a martingale collar and although I do like the look of the bling leads use plaited roo leather leads and snake chain or fine chains on the older dogs.

As for show suits....opshops, garage sales, ebay.....all work for me and it isn't too upsetting when you end up with paw marks all over the front :laugh:

Thanks Gayle that is a great suggestion, I will get some good puppy shampoo and a pair of scissors. :D I was thinking that it probably won't need too much when the coat is still growing out.

Unfortunaely the Albury weekend co-incides with the end of my trip to NZ and the date I am picking up my puppy from Sydney, so unfortunatly won't be able to make it.. But I will sure be asking for hints and tips from anyone who was able to attend!

I guess they can't expect the world from a baby puppy! And I am sure once I have him home to start trying to show train, I will be even more sure of this point!

Right now it looks like my first shows will either be the Grenfell/Riverina shows.