gone

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No visits, if it were me . They sold the dog...they have checked she's OK .. now they need to let her settle . tell them their visits make her very unsettled ....

Make sure she is registered/microchipped in YOUR name ..and in a good locked yard ... and politely tell them you will send photos if they want , but visits are not a good idea.

Would yourself and the old owners feel ok about meeting in a public place, like at a park?

This way the dog might focus more on the novel surrounding and the car trip home (if she enjoys car rides) than the fact that the previous owners are disappearing again.

No visits, if it were me . They sold the dog...they have checked she's OK .. now they need to let her settle . tell them their visits make her very unsettled ....

Make sure she is registered/microchipped in YOUR name ..and in a good locked yard ... and politely tell them you will send photos if they want , but visits are not a good idea.

This.

How long have you had her?

I would tell them that she needs a few months to settle in before she can see them again. And then yes, at a park, not at your home. It's not fair on the dog at all!

I would tell them that she needs a few months to settle in before she can see them again. And then yes, at a park, not at your home. It's not fair on the dog at all!

I agree with Rysup and once you've told them this, make it clear that you will contact them (not them contacting you) when you feel the time is right for a meeting in a public place.

She is your dog now and you need to be firm with them and ensure they understand your position.

:)

Edited by Aziah

I would say no, not at all. They have rehomed the dog and it is now part of your family. They need to move on and give the dog time and space to do the same.

Get them to give you their email address so that you can send them photo's an updates Via that for a while because the visits are too much for the dog.

I would do this too. I would be so sad if I was forced to give Hugo up and the new owners wouldn't let me see him.. :(

+1.

It's not their dog anymore.

Talk about have your cake and eat it too.

Did you buy her ??

Did you have trail period or any conditions if it didn't turn out??

When you took her on what exactly was the deal with visiting,you say to ensure she was in a good environment so what happens if they changer there mind about that??

How long do they expect to visit for??

When they visit how long do they spend ???1.2.3 hrs??Do they take her away or just stay at your place??

Personally i agree with others you can't have your cake & eat it.

Yes they have had difficulties & obviously no one was prepared to make the effort to keep the dog ,you are not a carer or boarding facility but the new owner .

As for unsettling i totally get that,we run boarding kennels & get owners who want to visit or send family members & we won't allow it because the dogs do get very distressed after wards & very confused .

It is time to lay the rules down & you need to look at the long term future .

How long do they want to do this for .

You adapted there dog not the family unit