Am I A Girly Sook?

Pollywaffle

I’m just wondering if I’m an over-reactor. We have a new dog in the locale, who howls (not barks) into the dark hours...last night until after 10pm. Every time I hear that ‘crying’ it cuts me up and I get so angry at the owners. Do any other DOLers feel as passionately as I do, or am I a bit of a girly sook?

I’m just wondering if I’m an over-reactor. We have a new dog in the locale, who howls (not barks) into the dark hours...last night until after 10pm. Every time I hear that ‘crying’ it cuts me up and I get so angry at the owners. Do any other DOLers feel as passionately as I do, or am I a bit of a girly sook?

Possibly. But embrace it. ;)

Dogs that howl aren't necessarily sad though.. perhaps just communicating long distance.

Or owned by someone who practices the bagpipes. :)

Dogs that howl aren't necessarily sad though.. perhaps just communicating long distance.

Or owned by someone who practices the bagpipes. :)

My girl Fox will start a two-tone howl when an ambulance goes by :laugh: She isn't upset, just 'singing along'.

My grandmother used to say to me as a child, when I was with her when we would hear a dog howl, that is meant you would hear of a death.Always made shiver run up my spine, then...but now know it was an old wives tale...but one she took very seriously and would get most sad.

My dog howls when my husband asks him to sing.

well that's reassuring...I do know the owner isn't home when the dog howls and that's why I've associated it with unhappiness - but if he's thinking of bag pipes, well I can certainly relate to that! I guess my main problem is I hate seeing dogs getting ignored and I over sympathise...

The only time my 4 howl all in unison :laugh: is when the phone rings but if I am in the room they don't do it. only if I'm in another room or outside, it's like they are alerting me to the fact that the phone is ringing. I'd love to know if they do it if I'm not home??

I think dog howling is a forlorn sound.

Shae howls regularly, for no apparent reason. She is a little dog with a few issues, none of which were caused by us, and I've come to think her howling is her way of releasing stress. Anyone hearing it would think she is very unhappy or hurt or neglected. She sounds THAT sad.

She is none of those things though, she is very loved, very well cared for and is never alone.

We just live with it and keep her life on an even keel so she feels secure.

Akira howls when I play flute - have never had Halo in the same room as me when I'm playing so I'm not sure if she does it too.

Akira's howl is definitely a happy howl - she does it when she gets overexcited and her playful talking becomes a howl. :laugh:

My female Afghan has begun to howl when I come home - never did it up until quite recently, and boy, I would actually prefer she didn't because I am sure my neighbours must hate me!

I do, in fact, love her howling... she has a most melodius singing voice :laugh:

The only time my 4 howl all in unison :laugh: is when the phone rings but if I am in the room they don't do it. only if I'm in another room or outside, it's like they are alerting me to the fact that the phone is ringing. I'd love to know if they do it if I'm not home??

I think dog howling is a forlorn sound.

Moose does this as well, if you let it ring more than 5 times he goes off. Zoe joins in but I don't think she really knows what's going on. :laugh:.

Buster has never howled, I've never heard Quinn howl either till I got home from my run the other morning and my mum said after I left Quinn had sat in the front yard and howled till Mum bought her in. If your a girly sook, I'm an evil bitch for being just a bit happy that she missed me.

She doesn't carry on when I leave for work or with friends but seeing as I put on all my "dog walking" clothes and left without her she wasn't happy.

My 2 male Aussies howl when I sing. :rofl:

:rofl:

:laugh: Yes & the funny thing is they seem to enjoy it too.My boy Bailey actually asks me to start singing by jumping on my lap, looking into my eyes & then making like a whiney noise...as if to say "Cmon mum sing"!! :laugh:

As soon as I start singing he instantly joins in & starts howling, & then my younger boy Jasper will start joining in too.

There favourite songs at the moment are "You are my Sunshine", & the tv show "The Love Boat" theme song.

Its pretty insane in my household sometimes. :rofl:...& it's a good thing I live on a rural property, so I have no neighbours to hear us.

But the dogs & I have alot of fun & they seem to share my crazy sense of humour too. :rofl: