Dogs And Car Safety

Brennan's Mum

Hi guys,

Yesterday I received a skype call from a friend in the USA. His beloved 5 year old GSD had been killed in a freak accident. He took her for a drive in his car ( I think it's a Jeep but not sure), popped her in the back. She fell against the tailgate and fell out onto the road where she was hit and killed :cry: . This is all happening to a man who has fallen ill with cancer, his marriage has broken down and his abusive wife ran off and sold their Biewer Yorkshire Terriers ( they bred Biewer Yorkies). So he's had a horrible year :(.

Of course, this is the most tragic event, and my friend is grieving the loss of his best friend.

However, I thought I'd take the time to ask DOLers what they do to ensure their dog is safe in their car.

I don't have a car, but Brennan has a harness from Big W which she wears whenever she is in a car. I do need to invest in a better one though because no matter how firm I have the harness, Brennan can escape from it which worries me. Brennan is also always put in the back seat. Never in the front. I also make sure windows are only open with a small enough crack to get air flowing through. Not big enough for any dog paws to go through them ( or doggy noses).

I know my Mum frequently drives just 'short trips' with her Maltese x on the front seat unharnessed. If she has a passenger she gets the passenger to hold the dog. Which is not something I agree with :mad.

So what do you do to ensure your dogs safety in the car?

Also what are DOLers thoughts on locking the back seat doors (with child lock perhaps) as an extra preventative method to keep the dog/s safe?

Also what are DOLers thoughts on locking the back seat doors (with child lock perhaps) as an extra preventative method to keep the dog/s safe?

I'm sorry, I know its a serious topic, but this made me giggle. I have a vision of a dog frantically trying to open the car door with its paws! :laugh:

Seriously though, why would you need to? :confused:

(mind you we have automatic central locking so its not really an issue for me.)

And to answer the main question, my GR goes in the hatch in the back of my SUV. She lies down and waits for release...

I'm sorry, I know its a serious topic, but this made me giggle. I have a vision of a dog frantically trying to open the car door with its paws! :laugh:

And to answer the main question, my GR goes in the hatch in the back of my SUV. She lies down and waits for release...

Locking doors? no, locking windows? big yes lol, Tess has worked out to put her foot on the button

Ahh, the next car I buy will likely not have central locking. I just wondered if it'd be useful for an extra safety preventative.

Ahh, the next car I buy will likely not have central locking. I just wondered if it'd be useful for an extra safety preventative.

Prevention against what? Carjacking? Something the dog would do?

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, I just cant think of why it would be safer. :o

I use a harness. I have a small car so I can't fit a crate in. Would if I could. And since last week I've been locking the windows as Barney accidentally opened it right down, while we were doing 100km on the highway.

Harnessed in the back she can put her head out the window if she wants I make sure we don't have any traffic on that side otherwise the window is up and sunroof open. I Like to have my dog harnessed so if I do have an accident my dog can't escape in any of the activity going on when exchanging address etc. I've heard too many horror stories about dogs escaping then and getting lost.

Wagon - dog in the back wearing a car harness which is connected to the child restraint point, reason I still use a car harness is so that if you are in an accident and the glass/tailgate is compromised at least he won't be thrown from the vehicle. I can also travel with him in the back seat strapped in if needed.

I have a wagon, so most of the time all 4 are in the back, but if they are in the back seat they have clip in seat belt things that clip onto the collar.

we use the same thing, it's a very short lead that clips in the seat belt thing and collar, we did have a harness but spudd hated it and kept trying to get it off. He is good in the car, usualy just lies down or sits down and looks out the window.

Edited by Spudd

My two are each in their wire crates in the back of my SUV - back seats are down. And they're trained (and reminded if necessary) to wait for release (and usually lead on) before they get out of the car.

A thing to think about is passenger airbags - if manufacturer recommends against a child being in a seat with an air bag - e.g. front passenger - then a dog shouldn't be there either.

Crate in the back of the wagon :) Before we had the crate I used a harness connected to one of the anchors in the back. But the crate is certainly easier and much more secure. Also means I can leave a window or two down and not worry that some idiot will lose a finger ;) .

Backseat in a harness. Which is the one he used as a puppy and is now rather snug - I keep forgetting to get a new one. If the backseat is needed then he goes in the front passenger footwell (assuming someone's there to sit in the front passenger seat), but that is quite rare.

He often goes without a harness for very short journeys, particularly those where he'll be getting out at the other end of the trip (e.g. to the dog park) as the bloody thing drives me mad :o

It's funny this should come up today. I recently joined a European dog forum (they are so technical and on topic in there, it's just crazy) and they were saying the only safe way to transport a dog in a car, is in a specially made boot crate, OR in a plastic crate. Harnesses, even the ones specifically designed for cars, did terrible in tests, and apparently the fake dogs all ended up dead with horrific injuries. Metal crates tend to buckle and produce dangerous sharp points that will stab the dog if it panics and struggles, while plastic crates will bend, but remain intact.