Labrador Bowling Ball Skittles Owner At The Beach

Labrador bowling ball skittles owner...

Yesterday, my evil hound and I went to the beach - cos it was a record warm day and might as well make the most of it. It's cold and raining today.

So we meet up with another owner who has a big black labrardor. My dog and the black lab start playing together, and they're having a lovely time doing zoomies. My dog is quite evil in terms of herding the other dog but she is very good at avoiding prangs. Not so for some of the other dogs she runs with.

Including this lab.

One minute - they're over there running, and the next minute the black lab turns unexpectedly and skittles his owner. She lands on top of him and her head bangs on the sand and she takes quite a while to get up but she wasn't knocked unconscious. The dog is whimpering and holding his back leg in the air.

And I've got no idea what to do apart from make sure they both keep breathing and that the lab stays put (no more running) until we've checked his leg out.

We check the leg out as best we can, can't find anything that triggers any additional discomfort in the lab - he doesn't yelp at any of the poking and prodding we do.

And eventually he gets up and considers resuming play - which I discourage - by keeping my dog close (treats are good). And then both dogs go off sniffing like nothing happened.

Except he's noticably lame in that leg. And the owner is walking ok but quite sore.

So I post this story in the hope that you guys can give me some ideas on what else I might have done. I'd hate to stop my dog from ever doing zoomies, but maybe I could make sure she herds more considerately ie not into owners, people and fences. Ie I could try to stop her if she tries to herd a dog towards obstacles? Or I could make sure the other owner pays more attention - except I'm pretty sure she was and it happened so quickly.

I'd class this as "accidents happen". If the owner was happy to have her dog play then sometimes these things are unavoidable. If the black lab was mine and was limping, I'd take him home and rest the leg for the day. Dogs can be very stoic and can be in pain but still play.

This happens all the time at the dog beach I go to. Almost everyone I regularly walk with has been skittled at some stage. I've rolled my ankle over a GSD.

We just make sure there's no serious damage, brush off the sand and laugh it off as part of being dog people. And pay closer attention next time!

It seems that no matter how much room they have to play they always want to do so around people's legs. Sounds like you did all you could, settled the play once you noticed the dog was sore, and were considerate to the other owner. i just keep a permanent eye on the dogs around and try to yell a warning if 75 kg of writhing, playing dogs is barelling their way!

Thanks guys

I was thinking it was in the "sh1t happens" category but I still feel awful about it like I could have prevented it somehow.

My evil hound lies very flat against the sand (head and everything) when she sees a big dog coming. She's learned from being skittled too.

Labs and ridgebacks seem to be the experts at bowling people over. I have met some staffies who give it a red hot go too, but they're better at bowling over children.

And Goldens...Lexi is going to get me good one day, its like they only have 2 gears...'stop' and 'full throttle' lol

Labs and ridgebacks seem to be the experts at bowling people over. I have met some staffies who give it a red hot go too, but they're better at bowling over children.

And Goldens...Lexi is going to get me good one day, its like they only have 2 gears...'stop' and 'full throttle' lol

no no not the goldens! Oh hang on a minute, Tilly would bowl you over in a flash :laugh: Onslow is really good though, he will run full belt at you then divert so he misses you, he never fails he is a good boy :) but my poor mum didn't know that and he was running up from behind her, so she moves sideways presuming he won't, ouch :(

Mine and my brother's Labs both hit me at once a few years ago. Missed the tree and the mailbox post, but just barreled me for six. I still have the crutches I spent 3 weeks on with a badly sprained knee and ankle...

As for the dog favouring it's leg after a "prang", I'd probably see how it pulled up the next day after some rest, and if it was still sore, then take the dog to the vet to make sure there was no real damage...

We humans can sort ourselves out... *grin*

T.

My 60kg dog skittled (at speed) someone and she hit the deck but was thankfully fine. She was not paying attention and walked straight in front of him as he was playing chase with another dog and there was no way he could pull up in time.

Roxy was doing Zoomies the other night i was out the back playing with her and we were on the verandah and she was in the middle of some high octane air spins and shes came out of it at full pelt to do a bolt around the yard and ran head first into the verandah pole :eek::laugh: She hit it hard too,it would have only been a metre or so away as she came out of the spins at top speed!

Pulled her up pretty quick though, i near crapped me dacks, but after checking her over i couldn't help but laugh :o ! She was still hyped up afterwards but no more zoomies and spins, just hugs and waggy tails :D !

She hasn't ran into me or the kids yet, shes usually pretty good at dodging us and the kids have learnt its best to keep still at these times, but not sure whether coz it was night time those squinty bully eyes don't see as well and didn't notice the thin white pole :laugh: ??